Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #31
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
No one knew that Kobo was coming out with this size reader either. So, there is a chance that Sony could be doing it also.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #32
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
No one knew that Kobo was coming out with this size reader either. So, there is a chance that Sony could be doing it also.
There's always a chance of just about anything but it's extremely doubtful. I think Kobo is the only one to make wonky sized ereaders. I don't see it being financially viable but I obviously don't have access to their numbers. It just seems like it's spreading their market out too thin that could ultimately cause them to collapse.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:29 AM   #33
ireadbook
ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.ireadbook 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: PRS-T1
- 7" to 8" eink screen with higher resolution, this size is more similar 32mo books without white border (7.5"-8" in diagonal)
- eink screen can be more "tougher" (maybe that's out of sony's control)
ireadbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #34
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
No bells and whistles for me; just a good (and stable ) device to compete with Kobo.

Like most of you, a backlit display would be great (although I doubt it, but who knows!).

Also more control over fonts, spacing, etc..

Finally, a better screen resolution. Just playing in store with the Glo and it is easy to realize that this is really cool.

Now remains to be seen what will do Sony: they may surprise us, in both directions: positive or negative.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #35
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
You did mean a frontlit screen I hope (that is what a Glo is and the PW).
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #36
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
You are right jersysman, my bad

Frontlit screen is a better deal, indeed!
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #37
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
HD PRS-950 with front light.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 PM   #38
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
You dream big! I would love a reader like that but think it's unlikely Sony will jump back into offering alternate screen sizes.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #39
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I want the Kobo Aura HD screen in a Sony device with the Sony software, perhaps with a few upgrades, like the line-spacing and margins. Plain and simple. That'd do it for me for the most part. I love the Aura screen and the glo light is quite nice.

I just don't expect it to actually happen though. Sony seems to have decided against selling different sized screens.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
There's always a chance of just about anything but it's extremely doubtful. I think Kobo is the only one to make wonky sized ereaders. I don't see it being financially viable but I obviously don't have access to their numbers. It just seems like it's spreading their market out too thin that could ultimately cause them to collapse.
Kobo is owned by massive Japanese company so they can afford to experiment and great they are. Whereas Sony would appear to be in a death spiral. No innovation. They have now had two years to come up with something good. They can't have spent much time on the t2.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #41
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasn75 View Post
Kobo is owned by massive Japanese company so they can afford to experiment and great they are. Whereas Sony would appear to be in a death spiral. No innovation. They have now had two years to come up with something good. They can't have spent much time on the t2.
Rakuten's KOBO purchase was seen to fend off Amazon's Kindle invasion. By far, KOBO operates on its own schedule. The KOBO promotion is very limited in Japan, also the Japanese ebook library is small. Rakuten is really a Buy.com, or Amazon-ish company, it has been acquired oversea companies as expansion plan. Big companies often get into many different business, this is just another example.
You can read this small document from Rakuten
http://global.rakuten.com/corp/inves...r_2011_all.pdf

Last edited by david8866; 04-27-2013 at 03:56 PM.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #42
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
You dream big! I would love a reader like that but think it's unlikely Sony will jump back into offering alternate screen sizes.
i would love for sony to make one that's fit for letter size pdfs so that no reduction would be necessary to display the document (remember the announcements of the plastic logic que and the skiff ereader?)

i held out for one of these two until it was announced that both were killed due to the release of the ipad. the skiff ereader was supposed to have an 11" screen. with that screen size, it's close to the content displayed on a sheet of 8.5" x 11" paper with 1" margins all around.

but alas, no one is ready to go paperless.

the "large" screen ereader i purchase in consolation was the prs-950 with a 7" screen. i also now have the onyx boox m92 because the prs-950 is simply not adequate in handling technical books in pdf format. and the m92 (9.7") still has to reduce the size of the original pdf page in order to fit.

my wish is for sony to market an 11" ereader so that the need to print to paper will be drastically reduced. add to that a front light, and the ability to install custom fonts. in addition to the formats they currently support, add .mobi support (and maybe chm/html formats), and a native microsoft office document viewer (for .doc/x, .xls/x, .ppt/x files).

businesses would be lined up out the door for such a product. that was the intent of the plastic logic que.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by david8866 View Post
I'd prefer the new HD 6.8" screen. There's more real estate there then on a 950 screen. The screen is not just a 6" screen made longer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #44
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
my wish is for sony to market an 11" ereader so that the need to print to paper will be drastically reduced. add to that a front light, and the ability to install custom fonts. in addition to the formats they currently support, add .mobi support (and maybe chm/html formats), and a native microsoft office document viewer (for .doc/x, .xls/x, .ppt/x files).

businesses would be lined up out the door for such a product. that was the intent of the plastic logic que.
That would be called a tablet. As such, no longer an ereader. I for one wouldn't want such a thing. I'd go back to paper books rather than deal with that.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #45
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'm like Shopaholic, smaller is better for me since I carry my reader with me every time I leave the house just in case I get a chance to read. My wish will always be for a 5" Sony PRS-350 with a front light.

It's the reason I broke down and bought the Kobo Glo, it really isn't that much larger than the 350... only 2mm thicker, 10 mm wider, and 12 mm taller. And it was the lightest of them all, just 30g more than the 350.

But I have small hands, and I absolutely hate to carry a purse if I can avoid it, so being able to fit in my pockets is a must for me.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote