Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
Jackie7
Enthusiast
Jackie7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
New kindle 4 (FW 4.1.0): cannot SSH to device, connection refused, why?

Hi,

I am trying to connect to my brand new kindle 4 (Fw 4.1.0) using SSH on both WIndows and Linux, but SSH keeps giving me a "connection refused" errror message.

My host is set to 192.168.15.1, my kindle is in USB networking mode on 192.168.15.244, and I can easily ping that device. But SSH keeps telling me it cannot connect.

Why? What am I missing?
Jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
If you have set usbnetwork to "auto", then the Kindle should be detached from the computer during startup, otherwise something just breaks. So unplug and reboot, maybe that helps.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Jackie7
Enthusiast

Thanks ixtab, but that's not the problem, since I tried on Linux and Windows as I wrote, and I really tried several times.

I can ping the device, but not SSH to it Is there anything new in Fw 4.1.0 preventing SSH? Do I need to set a specific IP address other than 192.168.15.1 to my host computer?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
The IP is for the USB adaptors IP. not the computers IP. This has been covered lots of times. You would be better served if this entire thing was in the right thread.

I recall answering this same problem several times there already, doubtless others have to. Check out Nilujes thread, and the Readme. specifically note the section about what the IP refer to.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
my kindle is in USB networking mode on 192.168.15.244
If you are referring to diags mode, then the cause is that the sshd binaries were removed from the diags partition by Amazon in 4.1.
You need to reflash the diags partition with an image that is not crippled like this.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
Jackie7
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
If you are referring to diags mode, then the cause is that the sshd binaries were removed from the diags partition by Amazon in 4.1.
You need to reflash the diags partition with an image that is not crippled like this.
Thanks a lot for this answer, I wonder why this fact is not covered in any of the tutorials, at least none I have found so far. Where can I get an uncrippled image, and can it be flashed without jailbreaking the device?

@twobob: sorry, but I think you totally misunderstood me, I read those posts you refer to, but I am quite sure that I got the IP address stuff right. When I talk about my "host computer", of course I refer to the virtual USB card on my Windows system connected to the kindle. The kindle's IP is fixed, as shown in the diag screen on the kindle, but I was wondering if the host needed to have a specific IP address (for the kindle to accept ssh connections from).
Old 01-20-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie7 View Post
I was wondering if the host needed to have a specific IP address (for the kindle to accept ssh connections from).
Answer: No
The iptables entry does an "accept from any to destination port 22".

Quote:
Where can I get an uncrippled image?
Top of forum - de-bricking thread

Last edited by knc1; 01-20-2013 at 09:33 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Jackie7: It *is* documented somewhere: the K4 Wiki .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
@Jackie: You can find it here: http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT , look for mmcblk0p2-4.0.0 image and for diags_kernel-4.0.0 image.
See https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K4_Index#De-Bricking for how to reflash the partition & kernel.
You can achieve the same thing and more from within the main mode by jailbreaking and installing the USBNetwork hack. Much easier for a non-geek than reflashing IMHO.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote