Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
blackxacto
Enthusiast
blackxacto began at the beginning.

Device: iMac 10,1, OSX10.9
Calibre 0.9.42 in Mavericks

I open the metadata of a selected book in the calibre menu, edit the metadata like I want it, add a cover of my design, SAVE to Disk.

The file never changes. It's the same as before I edited.

How the heck does one make metadata changes stick?
blackxacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Updating the metadata does not change the ebook files - merely updates Calibre's database.

To get the metadata into the ebook files you need to do a conversion, send to device/disk or run something like the Modify ePub plugin (or Polish Books in more recent version of Calibre).

BTW: You are using quite an old release of Calibre - is there any reason you have not updated?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #3
blackxacto
Enthusiast

I thought this was the latest for OSX. Guess not. Will look. What is a "Polish Books"? Will look for the Modify ePub plugin as well.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackxacto View Post
I thought this was the latest for OSX. Guess not. Will look.
No. The OSX version gets updated at the same time as other versions every week. Currently up to 1.8.0.
Quote:
What is a "Polish Books"? Will look for the Modify ePub plugin as well.
Both of these are aimed at updating the embedded data inside ebook files in the Calibre library without going through a conversion (which is potentially lossy).

Polish Books is a new feature recently introduced that allows you to update the embedded metadata and/or covers for epub and mobi format ebook files in the Calibre library without having to do a conversion.

The modify epub plugin I mentioned pre-dates the Polish Books feature and does all it does and much more. The difference is that Polish Books is now core functionality while Modify ePubs is an add-on. I use Modify ePub in preference - but it can only operate on the epub format.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Thank you, you have been a wonderful help, and without being sarcastic, love it. Would you know why Safari cannot remember the sign in info when visiting this site? I checked to remember my sign-in info.
Advert
Old 10-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
blackxacto
Enthusiast

Awwwwwwwk!

I open Calibre. Calibre shows me the new cover on the ebook I designed (The entire cover is one jpg no additional text).

I open my Mavericks iBook app. Import to Library. I find the Calibre Library folder and the specific ebook w new cover. Import. The dang old cover shows up in iBooks.

I tried saving the ebook from Calibre to disk, then importing the saved ebook into iBooks. It's the same damn old cover.

What am I missing here?
Old 10-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
I open Calibre. Calibre shows me the new cover on the ebook I designed (The entire cover is one jpg no additional text).
Have you tried the Polish Books or the Modify ePub plugin yet? I would expect either of these to fix your issue as they should embed the updated cover into the ebook file..

You might also want to see what cover you get in Calibre if you use the Calibre viewer to look at the book. The viewer should be working of the embedded metadata and cover (which is what iBooks uses), while the main Calibre GUI is working off the metadata and cover you specified via the GUI.

Also, it might be advisable to delete the book from iBooks before you try to add it in case iBooks tries to cache the (old) cover.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
blackxacto
Enthusiast

I specifically installed both the Modify and Quick plugins, but I have not seen them appear in the interface after restarting calibre. I told the plugin installer to put them in the front interface window always, bout have not seen them or the Polish either.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
blackxacto
Enthusiast

I did install and see the make a new cover plugin and duplicate finder, but I don't really need them. The jpg I made is the entire cover.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you want to add items to the various menus, go to Preferences | Change Calibre Behavior and look at the Toolbar option.

Just remember that some of the menus you see (Main toolbar, and Menubar) have different settings for when there is no device attached and when there IS a device attached.

Which ever menu you are modifying, just drag icons for the tools / plugins you want to see from the left hand (available actions) to the right hand side (current actions).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
blackxacto
Enthusiast

So I go in and do the move items from one col to the other.
Restart Calibre
Polish and Modify are still not there.
This is the stupidest interface. Perfectly PC.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Restart Calibre
Have you checked that it is not off the right-hand end. There is an arrow symbol on the right to show items that do not fit into the available space.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Restart Calibre
There MULTIPLE Menus depending on usage choices and DEVICE connection
Some item may only be desired when there IS NO DEVICE
Some item may only be desired when there IS A DEVICE

Some item may only be desired Always: For this yo must add them to BOTH conditions (or use the secondary menu which is device stateless)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote