Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
ISBN but no metadata? Online Publishers

Is there a source for metadata for publishers like Ellora's Cave and Changeling Press etc? Even if I have an ISBN calibre can't source metadata for books from these and other online electronic publishers.
Regards
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, calibre gets metadata from aggregators rather than individual publishers websites, it would be too inefficient otherwise.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #3
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
What I do in that case is delete the ISBN and Publisher, then use the Title and Author to search. I usually end up cobbling together metadata from various sources anyway (like selecting the first publisher). Why is it so hard to find back cover summaries?
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
bigpallooka
Connoisseur
bigpallooka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo/Tablet PC/Desktop/Laptop
Ok. I get why the meta-data isn't available - the publishers concerned don't have their works included in the databases that calibre accesses. It's going to happen. The issue for me is that I just imported 1800 books into calibre - none of which - have accessible meta-data. I can certainly look-up each title at the publishers website then copy and pate information and covers. I was just hopping that someone might have a less time intensive suggestion.

I'll give an example to illustrate:
Dakota Cassidy is an author who writes romance, paranormal and erotica. Some of her work is released as dead tree option through retail outlets including amazon.com. All of her books are released as electronic options but only some through outlets such as amazon.com the rest are only available through the publishers website. The ones that are available through amazon.com in either form have available meta-data however the online publishers meta-data is (of course) unavailable. This means of about 2 dozen books I have of hers only 8 will fetch meta-data. It's a significant issue even if there isn't an easy solution.It makes calibre only partially useful to readers of these books

I'm not knocking the program. It does what it can given the data available, I'm just hoping someone has an inspired solution.
bigpallooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
woodygirl
woodygirl began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
@bigpallooka
I have the same problem with authors from Ellora's Cave, Siren, etc. Right now I am copying and pasting the book info and covers, which as you said, can be very time consuming. Have you found any faster option?
woodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert