Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
New preferences dialog

Hi all,

I just finished implementing a new preferences dialog (screenshots attached) and I'd appreciate a little feedback on the new design.

For those of you that run calibre from source, the changes are committed, you can try it out for yourself.

Some of the nice new features are:

1) You can restore settings to calibre defaults
2) More context sensitive help (tooltips)
3) A nice modular design based on plugins for easy expansion in the future.
4) A more discoverable layout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pref1.png
Views:	375
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	57757   Click image for larger version

Name:	pref2.png
Views:	371
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	57758   Click image for larger version

Name:	pref3.png
Views:	356
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	57759  
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is there a reason that you broke Import/Export and Sharing into 2 separate sections?

It's still cool as is
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
danwdoo
Groupie
danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danwdoo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Look very clean and easy to see everything. I like how everythting is laid out in logical groupings. Nice work. I like it a lot!
danwdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think it makes the top level clearer

If you are redoing this part of the GUI should the opportunity be taken to change "Save to Disk" to be renamed to "Export to Disk"?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I think it makes the top level clearer

If you are redoing this part of the GUI should the opportunity be taken to change "Save to Disk" to be renamed to "Export to Disk"?
I really like the way Kovid is unafraid to work on the interface. I like the new Prefs interface much better than the previous one.

I concur in changing "Save to Disk" to "Export to Disk" or "Export to Disk from Library" (although it's a pain to fix the docs). Of course, that begs the question of whether "Import Books to Library" should replace "Add Books"

I'd also like to see the warning that comes up for book deletion (and Merge) to warn that the books will be "permanently deleted and the files removed from the Calibre Library" instead of "permanently deleted and the files removed from your computer"

The current wording scares the beginner who is testing out Calibre.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@the ducks: Previously Sharing was two separate categories Email and Content server and Import/Export was a third category name Add/Save

Add Books is pretty clear, I don't think it needs to change. Save to disk could probably be renamed, but changing all references to it is going to be a major pain.

I've changed the delete confirmation message.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I really like the way Kovid is unafraid to work on the interface. I like the new Prefs interface much better than the previous one.

I concur in changing "Save to Disk" to "Export to Disk" or "Export to Disk from Library" (although it's a pain to fix the docs). Of course, that begs the question of whether "Import Books to Library" should replace "Add Books"

I'd also like to see the warning that comes up for book deletion (and Merge) to warn that the books will be "permanently deleted and the files removed from the Calibre Library" instead of "permanently deleted and the files removed from your computer"

The current wording scares the beginner who is testing out Calibre.
Starson, very true on this last sentence! It took me forever to figure out that it wasn't going to remove every instance of that file from my computer!

Kovid, I like it, I like it a lot!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I agree that "Add Book" is adequate. It also takes up less screen real estate than "Import Books to Library." I also agree that "permanently deleted and the files removed from the Calibre Library" would be a lot less scary to beginners. I know I was was spooked by it the first time I started to use it. I would rather see "Save to Disk" stay as is if it would divert Kovid too much from working on designing more goodies for us.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-06-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
I like it. Very clean, easy to use.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This new setup looks great.

I find it interesting and amazing that Kovid made the change to the delete message window, concurring with Starson17, within 25 minutes of the suggestion. Yet folks still seem compelled to seemingly lobby for the change hours later.

I guess the message was a little scary and just got lodged in our psyche requiring us to say that we agreed that changing the message was a good idea even after it had been changed. Kudos to Starson17 for remembering to bring it up.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:45 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I missed it earlier: I love the "Restore Defaults" feature in the 3rd slide I won't tell you how many times I mess with settings and wished to restore them.

Does that feature apply to All or just Selected?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:47 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Restore defaults restores the defaults in the currently selected pane.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:08 AM   #13
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Looks great. What I couldn't figure out, though: Is there a way, after selecting a specific settings page, to go back to the main selection (both with or without saving settings)? It would be kind of... well, let's say cumbersome, to have to reopen the preferences dialog everytime you want go back to another page.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Looks great. What I couldn't figure out, though: Is there a way, after selecting a specific settings page, to go back to the main selection (both with or without saving settings)? It would be kind of... well, let's say cumbersome, to have to reopen the preferences dialog everytime you want go back to another page.
The cancel button on the sub-pages take you back to the main page.

@Kovid, there is no 'cancel' or 'close' button on the main page. I know I can close it with the 'X' in the corner, but I think a button should be there. Perhaps 'Close' on the far-right of the Interface line, with a separator to its left.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:11 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mentioned by me in another thread, it's faster on loadup.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote