Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Percentage of Readers

First, a definition. Readers is like drinkers. I have a glass of wine once or twice a month but I don't call myself a drinker. I would also not call someone who reads a book a year a reader.

With that in mind, and no hard numbers given, what percentage of the population would you consider readers?

When I get on a plane I look around to check out how many readers are on board. It's sometimes one, me, and sometimes three or four. Never more. Look around the terminal in an airport and see how many people are actually reading a book. I see far more people watching the televisions which are in all terminals now.

I know people who buy books for people to see but they don't really read them. Someone picked up a book on my bosses desk and opened it and we all heard the new-book crackle. The boss stuttered and said, "My working copy of that book is at home." Sure, it was.

I would say that no more than 10% of the people in the U.S. are readers. What number would you guess?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Among my friends, I would say at least 90% (a few are even writers). The rest of the world? 10% may be generous.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I guess it depends on the definition of reader.

1. Social Reader - reads only at Starbucks So as to appear literate.

2. The Closet Reader - reads only at home sneaking a chapter when no one else is around.

3. The Bookaholic - they keep books behind sofa cushions, in a baggy in the toilet tank, etc..

If you lump them together then I would say 15-20 percent. If you take out the Charbucks reader then I would say you were in the right ballpark of 10 percent.

Of which 98% are women. I think there are only 26 guys in America that read after college. It seems that women are more prone to hitting the book than men.

Hi I'm Kikar and I am a Bookaholic. and one of the 26 men.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Among my friends, I would say at least 90% (a few are even writers). The rest of the world? 10% may be generous.
among my friends, i would say like Lady Fitzgerald, 90% (maybe more actually). the rest of the *world* i don't know, but taking into account countries still in developpement, etc. 10% couls well be accurate. just in the rest of france, surely less than 90% but i would say significantly more than 10%. i'm not good at guessing such things but (perhaps optimistically...) i'd say maybe 60-70%. famous authors in france are like rockstars, they get invited on television and all. then again i may still be extrapolating based on the people i know. but still, i think a significant portion of french people read.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
Hi I'm Kikar and I am a Bookaholic. and one of the 26 men.
Hi Kikar.

zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
For the US, I've seen numbers along the lines of:
- 33 million people read more than two books a month
- 50 million read less than 10 books a year
Out of a total population of 330-350 million.

So, one could say that 9-10% are heavy readers, and 14-15% are casual readers.
Not sure about the rest since the reports didn't specify. Could be zero. Could be 1-2 books a month. But they make up 75% of the population if we trust the analysts.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
When I get on a plane I look around to check out how many readers are on board. It's sometimes one, me, and sometimes three or four. Never more. Look around the terminal in an airport and see how many people are actually reading a book. I see far more people watching the televisions which are in all terminals now.
Planes aren't really a good place for judging this. I'm definitely a "reader" (addict?), but I don't always read while on planes because I get travel-tired in a hurry. I tend to try to sleep or "zone-out" whenever possible while traveling. Then again, maybe I'm the abnormal one here
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
My initial guess would be around 10% as well. However, I know I'm often surprised by people that are readers (and that's excluding social readers). So maybe closer to 15% or even 20% would be more accurate.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #9
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
For the US, I've seen numbers along the lines of:
- 33 million people read more than two books a month
- 50 million read less than 10 books a year
Out of a total population of 330-350 million.

So, one could say that 9-10% are heavy readers, and 14-15% are casual readers.
Not sure about the rest since the reports didn't specify. Could be zero. Could be 1-2 books a month. But they make up 75% of the population if we trust the analysts.
where did you get your numbers from? the states recently hit 300 million, probably around 303-305 by now

stop the spread of rumors now! ;[

Last edited by nachtxeule; 08-24-2010 at 01:25 PM.
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
nachtxeule
Enthusiast
nachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it isnachtxeule knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Planes aren't really a good place for judging this. I'm definitely a "reader" (addict?), but I don't always read while on planes because I get travel-tired in a hurry. I tend to try to sleep or "zone-out" whenever possible while traveling. Then again, maybe I'm the abnormal one here
nah, i agree with you... travelling is indeed for catching up on some sleep.. especially plane rides going back 3 hours in time... mmmm sleep
nachtxeule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I try to sleep as much as possible on flights, too. One time, I awoke during a long haul and heard a flight attendant laughingly say to my friend, "Your friend only wakes up for meals." True, lol. I zonk out, then food smells wake me. ... I do read on flights, but only if I can't sleep or it's a short hop.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I got the numbers from the Forrester research paper quoted around here a few weeks back.
And the US population, (including undocumenteds) is well past 330 million. 300 million was old news by the time the media got hysterical over it. (The new cesus numbers are due any day now.)

So, no; no rumormongering here.
Merely quoting analysts, as I pointed out in my comment.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
spear
Connoisseur
spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.spear can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I suffer from motion sickness (car, boat, plane, elevators, etc) so travel time is extremely frustrating. But not reading is better than the alternative...for everybody.
spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #14
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Out in public, I would say no more than 10% of the people on my train car have their nose in a book or a newspaper. Probably another 20% are listening to ipods. The remaining 70% are doing nothing. It absolutely astounds me. They are just sitting there. Granted, it is only a 20 minute ride, but I am reading while I am waiting for the train, and on the train. I would read walking from the train to work, except there are too many people around. I cannot stand to have nothing to do. I recently put episodes of True Blood (recorded from TV) on my ipod. I forgot my knitting pattern today, and I don't have my kindle. So I will watch I Smell a Rat tonight.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Here's an article quoting an ipsos poll, which has the data on-line, but I'm not a subscriber. The article doesn't give much indication of the distribution amongst the two-thirds-plus of the population that read, although the median seems to be about half a dozen books per year.

The percentage of people that like to read, and the percentage that you see reading when travelling, may well be different!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote