Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex2020 View Post
I had read that one reason certain ePubs were so large was because of the large font files included, which is why I had hopes this might solve my problem. Unfortunately I upgraded to the new firmware and it still exhibits the same bootup loop on large ePUB books.

I have been able to read these books by converting them to mobi in Calibre and then converting them back to ePUB. It occurs to me that if I am going to do that, maybe I should have stayed at the 1.x firware, but some ePUBs work without having to jump through these hoops.

Does anyone know of a way to remove the fonts from an ePUB file without converting to mobi and then back to ePUB?

You'll need to understand how the ePub 'wrapper' works. First it is a zip file. If you change the extension (on windows) to zip, it will show you all the folders and files that make up the ePub book.

There should be a font folder, but you will also need to adjust the "content.opf" file

- I've never done this, so I may be well off of the mark ..... I still read only mobi....

The wiki (see link in my sig) may help ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #47
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Of the last two books I got from FictionWise (the last erver actually - see elsewhere), one of them was epub with a file size over 2mb again. I found that with the epub firmware any book of this size would crash the reader trying to open it. My cybook is the second edition, so 500m but only 200mhz, so it probably fits that these new large files are to blame.

I no longer have a problem, I have reverted to the Mobi version of firmware, I just convert them in Calibre and the mobi file is always a more normal 400 - 500 Kb.
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #48
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider1960 View Post
Of the last two books I got from FictionWise (the last erver actually - see elsewhere), one of them was epub with a file size over 2mb again. I found that with the epub firmware any book of this size would crash the reader trying to open it. My cybook is the second edition, so 500m but only 200mhz, so it probably fits that these new large files are to blame.

I no longer have a problem, I have reverted to the Mobi version of firmware, I just convert them in Calibre and the mobi file is always a more normal 400 - 500 Kb.

and if you really need them in epub, just re-convert back from the smaller mobi ....
Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #49
andrewhulme
andrewhulme began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Hi. I've just had the same problem with an epub book bought from Whsmith.
First attempt at reinstalling the Adobe firmware upgrade failed, although I was able to install the Mobi upgrade to get the machine working again, but from here still couldn't delete the offending file which was on the ereader rather than the SD card.
One attempt at reinstalling the Adobe upgrade got me past the loop, to the library page. But I couldn't perform any actions with the bootup page appearing.
How I eventually succeeded in getting past the loop: Installed the epub upgrade while connected to Pc. i.e. first remove battery; connect device to pc; reconnect battery; switch on device; hold down the button to carry out the upgrade.
From here the device connected itself to the computer, where I could open it as a removable storage device and delete the problem file.
Wrote to Bookeen before I'd figured this out, so if they reply I will ask them about the file (which I still can't use on my ereader). At the moment I'm unlikely to pay for another ebook if it's a lottery as to whether it will crash the machine.
Good luck with your problem!
Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerfy View Post
Hi Everyone
Sorry that my first post is about a problem.
Had my Gen 3 for a couple of years. Updated the firmware to ePub (from Mobi) and all was working well. Have downloaded books in ePub since firmware update with no problems.
Now the device has gone mad. It's stuck in a loop on bootup. It gets past the first screen and then the second screen (the one with the three dots and a small image of the device) simply flashes on and off every few seconds. This happened after I had downloaded eight books from Watrstones and WH Smith using Digital Editions.
The reset button only freezes the screen. On restart is goes into the same loop again.
Have tried disconnecting the battery, charging, connecting to my computer with no success. I can't even turn it off without pulling the battery so it's currently, pathetically flashing itself to death!
Can anyone help? Please.
Thanks
andrewhulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #50
GeoffC

Welcome to mobileread, Andrew ....

You've posted an interesting experience, I guess I'll continue to stick with mobi !!!!!

There are excellent epub books here on Mobileread - follow the links in my sig line .... (Classic books)
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #51
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Andrew, did you updated you gen3 to 2.1 ?

The ePub opens with ADE on PC ? Try deleting / re-copy it, just in case.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #52
andrewhulme
andrewhulme began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Hi Eowyn,

Thanks, it opens on ADE on the PC. Bookeen replied and said that:

"Please note that your Cybook is the first Gen3 model and its working memory is less important than the one of the newer models and this explains why sometimes there is a problem when trying to read an EPUB book on the device."

So I've switched from the 2.1 Epub upgrade to the 1.6 Mobi upgrade, and picked up on some advice about changing the book's format to Mobi using Calibre. This also meant taking off the book's DRM, which was a hassle for only a basic computer user like myself, but worth it to be able to read the book on my device.

Thank you Eowyn and Geoff for your replies,

Andrew
andrewhulme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 AM   #53
GeoffC

Andrew Good news ..... who needs ePub, anyway !!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you could do is install the ePub firmware and try that book again, but this time use an SD card to put the book on and if it still causes a problem, you can remove the SD card. No harm, no foul.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote