Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-23-2014, 05:17 AM   #706
mbmr
mbmr began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Not sure why people are asking the OP for updates, they wont come, all this plugin is is a GUI wrapper around apprentice alfs script
mbmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 AM   #707
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmr View Post
Not sure why people are asking the OP for updates, they wont come, all this plugin is is a GUI wrapper around apprentice alfs script
Not so. KindleUnpack has nothing at all to do with DRM and is completely separate to Apprentice Alf's scripts.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM   #708
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
And in addition:

1) this thread isn't about a plugin.
2) updates tend to happen fairly quickly when someone points out an issue/bug.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:06 PM   #709
AcidWeb
KCC Co-Author
AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AcidWeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I'm still trying (and failing horribly) to find a way to optimize KindleSplit algorithm... Creating MOBI8 when book have hundreds of images still take way too long.
AcidWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM   #710
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wondering where we are at with the latest proposed changes (not tkeo's latest experimental epub 3 stuff) to remedy what quiris brought up in post #693.

Are all the proposed changes limited to the kindleunpack.py file (posted by tkeo in post # 704 as kindleunpack.py.v064b.zip)?

I've got a minor quibble with how the current version (v064) is manifesting the cover image in the opf file, but don't really want to submit any patches until I know where we are.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-24-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2014, 09:36 AM   #711
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi DiapDealer,

As far as I know, we are still waiting to hear back confirmation from the original bug reporter that the fix works with all of his test cases. But I am not sure they actually will report back.

The proposed changes are all in that one file. So why don't you post your new patches against that version of kindleunpack.py and I will include them into an official new release this weekend.

That way we are all starting from the same point moving forward.

Thanks,

KevinH.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #712
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK. The two small changes I've included have nothing to do with the kindleunpack.py file, so everything will be relative to the current (v064) version posted.

The patch I've attached affects the mobi_k8resc.py file and the mobi.opf.py file. Should be able to patch with the typical "patch -p1 < KindleUnpack.patch" method (starting from just outside the 'lib' directory of the source).

The change to mobi_k8resc.py simply eliminates the 'properties="cover-image"' attribute/value from the cover image's <item> entry in the <manifest> section of the OPF file. "properties" is not a valid/recognized attribute for the 'item' tag in ePub 2. An ePub won't validate with it in there.

The change to mobi_opf.py has to do with the guide section of the OPF file. I may have given you this patch before. The current version is putting the entire title of the ebook (from the EXTH) into the "title" attribute of the cover page's <reference/> entry in the <guide> section. That may not ever cause an issue, but it's typically just a static value of "Cover" (although it doesn't really matter what's there). It just doesn't make sense to me to put the entire title of the book there. *shrugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
As far as I know, we are still waiting to hear back confirmation from the original bug reporter that the fix works with all of his test cases. But I am not sure they actually will report back.
For what it's worth, I had books that were behaving in exactly the same manner (getting the same error) as the bug reporter's and the proposed fixes to kindleunpack.py worked with those problem books.
Attached Files
File Type: txt KindleUnpack.patch.txt (935 Bytes, 161 views)

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-25-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #713
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The change to mobi_k8resc.py simply eliminates the 'properties="cover-image"' attribute/value from the cover image's <item> entry in the <manifest> section of the OPF file. "properties" is not a valid/recognized attribute for the 'item' tag in ePub 2. An ePub won't validate with it in there.
Could it be not deleted but commented out? Such like,
Quote:
#ref += '" properties="cover-image' # for epub3
BTW, It's in 'mobi_opf.py' not in 'mobi_k8resc.py', I think you just take mistake filenames in your post.
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #714
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeo View Post
Could it be not deleted but commented out? Such like,
I have no problem with it being commented out as opposed to removed.

Quote:
BTW, It's in 'mobi_opf.py' not in 'mobi_k8resc.py', I think you just take mistake filenames in your post.
Oops! You're right. The patch file is correct, but I flip-flopped the filenames when describing the changes.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-26-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:55 PM   #715
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
KindleUnpack_v65

Hi All,

Okay, I started with official v0.64 added in tkeo's kindleunpack.py version 0.64b, and added on top of that DiapDealer's patch (tweaked to comment out but not remove the properties line).

So here is v0.65 of KindleUnpack:

Changes since official v0.64

- bug fixes for broken or missing RESC section (tkeo)

- bug fixes to maintain epub2 compatibility and make "title" property not be the full title of the book (DiapDealer)

At some point soon we should probably think about how to address epub3 vs epub2 features in some sane way since kindlegen seems to be moving to adopting epub3 compatibility faster than actual epub devices.

Ideas on how best to do that welcome.

Thanks everyone!

KevinH
Attached Files
File Type: zip KindleUnpack_v65.zip (64.5 KB, 148 views)
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #716
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So here is v0.65 of KindleUnpack:
Now added to the first post, and the AppleScript updated too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:11 PM   #717
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Guys, have question about cover images.
I ran kindleunpack on multiple azw3 files and noticed that cover files come only in mobi7 folder but not in mobi8 folder. I'm trying to recreate mobi from existing azw3 but missing cover spoils the idea.
Is there any way to make cover file to appear in mobi8 folder?

Added
Found one instance when cover was both in mobi7 and mobi8...go figure

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 04-28-2014 at 01:03 AM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #718
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
Guys, have question about cover images.
I ran kindleunpack on multiple azw3 files and noticed that cover files come only in mobi7 folder but not in mobi8 folder. I'm trying to recreate mobi from existing azw3 but missing cover spoils the idea.
Is there any way to make cover file to appear in mobi8 folder?

Added
Found one instance when cover was both in mobi7 and mobi8...go figure
In every AZW3 I've checked (created with kindlegen and/or calibre) the cover image is identified, copied to the mobi8 folder, and included in a cover page (xhtml) in the resulting epub.

I'm sure it's possible that the RESC section of some AZW3s may be constructed in such a way (or damaged) that tkeo's new code can't identify the cover image, but I would think that would be the exception rather than the rule.

How were your existing AZW3s created (the problem ones)?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-28-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #719
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
That's weird. Went to work, rebuilt azw3 that failed to add cover to mobi8 at home and found cover in mobi8 folder. Used v65 on both occasions. Will try again at home this evening.

Added:
I had Python 2.7.2 at home and 2.7.3 at work. Uninstall 2.7.2, install 2.7.6 (latest) - and voila, cover miraculously emerged in mobi8.

Last edited by EbokJunkie; 04-28-2014 at 10:18 PM.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM   #720
tkeo
Connoisseur
tkeo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite, Kobo Aura HD
A bug in v0.65

Hi,

I've found a bug with regard to K8 RESC section extraction. Most mobi and azw3 files which have RESC sections are able to be extracted. But in some portion of files, the extraction of the RESC section is failed. In this case, the description in the RESC is ignored and treated as K8 format with no RESC section.

I think I have injected the bug into v0.64b. I am investigating and fixing it.

I am sorry for reporting the bug just after an official update, I had not checked enough.
tkeo is offline   Reply With Quote