Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
[Old Thread] build issues

Has anyone else had problems building the current tarball? (0.6.8)

It errors out trying to link against calibre_poppler.so. It's looking for the library in src/calibre/plugins. But the libraries are being dropped down into src/calibre/plugins/calibre/plugins.

If I move the files up into place, & re-issue the build, it completes successfully.

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Works for me. In fact I just built 0.6.9
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

hmmm....maybe I need to build 0.6.9?!?!? yes?!

Troy
Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #4
troymc
Groupie

hmm....same issue with 0.6.9 -- I must be doing something silly..

And I must correct myself, it's not linking, it's trying to copy that file somewhere.

I removed everything under /opt/calibre & cut-n-pasted the build instructions from the website. Here's the error message from 'python setup.py build'
Code:
creating build/lib.linux-i686-2.6/calibre/plugins
error: can't copy 'src/calibre/plugins/calibre_poppler.so': doesn't exist or not a regular file
definitely not there:
Code:
/opt/calibre/calibre-0.6.9$ ls -l src/calibre/plugins
total 632
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   4096 2009-08-27 19:47 calibre
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 637477 2009-08-27 19:47 pictureflow.so
but it is way down here:
Code:
/opt/calibre/calibre-0.6.9$ ls -lR src/calibre/plugins
src/calibre/plugins:
total 632
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root   4096 2009-08-27 19:47 calibre
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 637477 2009-08-27 19:47 pictureflow.so

src/calibre/plugins/calibre:
total 4
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-08-27 19:47 plugins

src/calibre/plugins/calibre/plugins:
total 396
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 226191 2009-08-27 19:47 calibre_poppler.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  17980 2009-08-27 19:47 cPalmdoc.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  31646 2009-08-27 19:47 fontconfig.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  89222 2009-08-27 19:47 lzx.so
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  24481 2009-08-27 19:47 msdes.so
and, of course, if I copy everything from src/calibre/plugins/calibre/plugins up to src/calibre/plugins then run the build again, it works.

Troy
Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What are the exact build commands you're using?
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
troymc
Groupie

I'm literally cut-n-pasting from the website instructions. (except for the first 2 of course)

$ cd /opt/calibre
$ rm -fR *
$ wget -O- http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downlo...e-0.6.9.tar.gz | tar xvz
$ cd calibre*
$ python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install

The 'python setup.py build' command is the one that fails. Then I manually
copy those files into place & re-run that last command line and it completes successfully, and then I run the final 'sudo calibre_postinstall'. (is that last step even needed anymore? it appears to do the same, or similar stuff as the last part of the install command.)

Not sure it matters, but this is on Ubuntu Karmic.

Troy

Last edited by troymc; 08-27-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Does ti work if you change the last line to

python setup.py build_ext && python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install
Old 08-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
troymc
Groupie

Nope

Code:
/opt/calibre/calibre-0.6.10$ python setup.py build_ext && python setup.py build && sudo python setup.py install 
Setup calibre version: 0.6.10
WARNING: PoDoFo not found on your system. Various PDF related functionality will not work. Use the PODOFO_INC_DIR and PODOFO_LIB_DIR environment variables.
running build_ext
Setup calibre version: 0.6.10
WARNING: PoDoFo not found on your system. Various PDF related functionality will not work. Use the PODOFO_INC_DIR and PODOFO_LIB_DIR environment variables.
running build
running resources
Resources are up to date
running translations
Translations up to date
running gui
Images are up to date
running build_ext
running build_py
error: can't copy 'src/calibre/plugins/calibre_poppler.so': doesn't exist or not a regular file

EDIT: I've attached a txt file showing a complete fresh rebuild.

Troy
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre-0.6.10-fresh_rebuild_error.txt (193.4 KB, 354 views)

Last edited by troymc; 08-28-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I'm out of ideas, guess you'll just have to copy it manually
Old 08-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
troymc
Groupie

That's cool. It hasn't slowed me down any, and if no one else is complaining it's not worth burning cycles on.

I've upgraded 5 systems to 0.6.10 tonite, including my server running 6 calibre-server instances -- everything's running just fine! That's a mix of jaunty, karmic & gentoo.

Troy
Old 04-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
midnightmagic
midnightmagic doesn't littermidnightmagic doesn't littermidnightmagic doesn't litter

Device: none
Answer appears to be (for Ubuntu 10.04)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm I'm out of ideas, guess you'll just have to copy it manually
It looks like setup/build_environment.py detects it at *INC/podofo.h instead of *INC/podofo/podofo.h which is where podofo.h and its own include files expect to find itself.

Subsequent to this, calibre/src/calibre/utils/podofo/podofo.cpp must be reset to #include <podofo/podofo.h>. After this, it'll all Just Work. (*INC and *LIB dirs must be of course set to the podofo install directory/include and directory/lib before it will, but after that, it's gold.)
midnightmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Welcome to Mobileread.

Please do not reopen a thread that is 19 months old. This thread was discussing a version of calibre about 80 versions removed from the current version.

It would be best to open a new thread with your tidbit of wisdom.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-12-2011 at 11:27 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
midnightmagic
midnightmagic doesn't littermidnightmagic doesn't littermidnightmagic doesn't litter

Device: none
Meh. Same issue. 80 versions later; this is the current solution as of the latest stable release.

Last edited by midnightmagic; 04-15-2011 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Less snarky.
midnightmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightmagic View Post
Meh. Same issue. 80 versions later; this is the current solution as of the latest stable release.
I'm curious and ignorant at the same time. It looked like your solution was different from the OP, but I'll take your word for it.

What is "the latest stable release?"
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote