Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Strange, I seem to remember you writing that it was something you could choose in a menu somewhere...
No, it's not selectable - unfortunately. You may be thinking of the "Convert to JPEG" option which used to be present on Mobi Creator. That just happens automatically now, there's no longer a menu item for it.

Quote:
It fails to open the book (at least my Palm T5 did that). I would want that behavor to be on all devices so that ePub will come to dominate as a format faster.
Sorry, why would you want a book to fail to open that can be read perfectly well on all modern devices? It's a bit silly to restrict functionality because of a restriction due to completely obsolete 8-bit processors, don't you think?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:33 AM   #47
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, why would you want a book to fail to open that can be read perfectly well on all modern devices? It's a bit silly to restrict functionality because of a restriction due to completely obsolete 8-bit processors, don't you think?
I care about that a format is well specified. I think it is bad that there is not one MobiPocket format that is guaranteed to work. If larger files should be allowed the format should have something in the name indicating that so you know it. Now people with a Palm can download a MobiPocket book from MR that does not work on their device. I think this is bad.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As you know, though, the Mobi format is not "documented" anywhere, and it has "evolved" over time - eg very old versions of the Mobi reader don't support JPEG images at all.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #49
gerraldo
Anti-DRM Advocate
gerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-booksgerraldo has learned how to read e-books

Device: CyBook Gen 3, Palm Tungsten T3
Quote:
I care about that a format is well specified. I think it is bad that there is not one MobiPocket format that is guaranteed to work. If larger files should be allowed the format should have something in the name indicating that so you know it. Now people with a Palm can download a MobiPocket book from MR that does not work on their device. I think this is bad.
Do newest PDFs work with old readers, does MS Word 1.0 opens a DOC made with V2007... come on...
gerraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #50
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I stuck a comic in cbr format into Calibre, and it spat out a perfect version for the Cybook in mobi format. I don't read comics to be honest, but it was an out of date one I'd downloaded for a friend, I got nosy seeing the topic in the Calibre forum and thought I'd have a look.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #51
Pulp
Palm Addict
Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3 [512mb, FW: 1.5]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
I stuck a comic in cbr format into Calibre, and it spat out a perfect version for the Cybook in mobi format. I don't read comics to be honest, but it was an out of date one I'd downloaded for a friend, I got nosy seeing the topic in the Calibre forum and thought I'd have a look.
Thanks for the tip! I just tried it and it works great!
Pulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:21 PM   #52
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Whoops, nice idea! I'll give it a try too!!
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #53
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
Thanks for the tip! I just tried it and it works great!
Yep, as far as I understand it converts the images to Cybook resolution (same as Sony) and switches them to greyscale, and then puts them into whatever package you select as the output for Calibre, so the end result is a file the Cybook is happy with.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #54
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just got one problem - and I already tried different settings in calibre.

The prc displays way too much margin. Is there any method to get these files in a "full screen mode"?
Old 05-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #55
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I'm afraid not. Margins are unfortunately hard set.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #56
K-Thom
The one and only

Mmmh, sub-optimal prospects! Awright, waiting for zip-support ...

Thanks, Jellby!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:12 AM   #57
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerraldo View Post
Do newest PDFs work with old readers, does MS Word 1.0 opens a DOC made with V2007... come on...
PFD format has a version number so you know which version you are using and each version is well specified. So this is totally different from the MobiPocket case.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #58
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As you know, though, the Mobi format is not "documented" anywhere, and it has "evolved" over time - eg very old versions of the Mobi reader don't support JPEG images at all.
And that is extremely bad and the main reason you should not use MobiPocket. Essentially there is no MobiPocket format since it is a moving target.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
And that is extremely bad and the main reason you should not use MobiPocket. Essentially there is no MobiPocket format since it is a moving target.
So are many formats. PDF and DOC (Word) format to name but two. That doesn't prevent them from being practically useful, even if they are not officially documented. As long as the "owner" of the format provides reasonable tools for creating the files, that's all that really matters.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #60
Halk
Fanatic

Harry, given the enormous amount of work you've done with electronic books, do you have a preferred format, or an opinion on what's most stable (if that's the word) file format with a reasonable set of features?