Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #1
DennisDoyle
Dennis
DennisDoyle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Edition
Unhappy 6.31 and 2 not working smoothly

I have successfully used Calibre 6.29 from late last year - (thanks Kovid for great programme - I have made donation ) However each upgrade 6.30 and 6.32 have not worked smoothly. I use WXP

When my pocket edition is not attached:- the function icons will sometimes respond when clicked, but not always, although I can sometimes get a response if I right click anywhere - the functions are then available on a pop-out menu - but this is only intermittently. If I highlight a book, sometimes it will highlight and sometimes not. If I click on authors for example, to sort, sometimes it sorts, mostly not.

If I connect my Sony Pocket edition it is recognised as PRS505 - not a problem but odd. I have the same problems - sometimes I have a response from icons and sometimes not. I see all my books in the view panel but cannot always scroll down, I can scoll with my mouse wheel but not with the program sidebars. I can remove a book with my keyboard delete key but not with the program delete button.

It was such an excellent program for me and still would be fantastic - if I can get it to work properly. Help please.
DennisDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This happens only when a device is attached?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
DennisDoyle
Dennis

no it happens when reader attached and not attached. I have just opened calibre this morning and I can get all functions (except fetch news) by right clicking anywhere in the screen but function icons wont operate.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:44 AM   #4
DennisDoyle
Dennis

Dear Kovid

I now removed calibre 6.32 from disk (remove progs via control panel) and deleted all download install files to recycle bin. I even removed my library. I then re-booted machine and re-installed Calibre 6.32 from your download site and ran the program. Calibre loaded but none of the icons functioned. I can obtain functionality by right clicking mouse (except for Add books; fetch news and preferences).

I have normal function sometimes - for example when I first open the program I am sometimes able to click in icons after about 30 seconds to a minute on preferences etc and the dialogue box opens. It doesn't open when I click on it again immediately afterwards but does after waiting for about 10 - 15 seconds.

Same thing with Remove books, save to disk and send to device, fetch news etc - if I click on the down arrow I have functionality but it wont work again for at least 10 seconds.

Currently I have opened the program and I can only access some functions by right clcicking mouse. Icons will not now function at all.

Before doing all this, I tried removing 6.32 and re-installing 6.29 from my install icons file and the program loaded but the info on right hand side of screen showed that 6.32 was loaded!? I don't know if there is something in the registry which is causing this but having deleted everything I can see in program files and add/remove programs in control panel, I just can't get it to work.

I have now been able to remove everything I can see and re-installed 6.28 and that works. Pity I cant get the upgrade though - I dont understand why.

Last edited by DennisDoyle; 01-06-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As far as I know the 6.32 part is in the binaries, so it should not be possible to get that unless you still have 6.32 somwhere on your system.

It might be worth doing a search of your hard disk for anything with the word "calibre" in the filename. Maybe you have got another copy of Calibre installed somewhere? If so that might explain your instability if files from multiple versions are getting mixed.

As far as I know you are the only one reporting this sort of problem so it has got to be something specific to your system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #6
DennisDoyle
Dennis

thanks. I did try the search earlier and this showed nothing. I may try to delete every thing again, reboot and try 6.32 again but have lost will to live for the present so will try again tomorrow maybe. Are there significant changes from 6.28 to 6.32?

regards

dennis
Old 01-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #7
Latitude
Latitude began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Dennis

I have to agree with you. I too have lost the will to live since 6.30. I am only trying to do simple metadata updates. I have had to reinvent my library 9 times in the past few days. I've updated property tags in source documents, updated the library in Calibre and my 505 directly through Calibre all without any joy of getting the updates to stick. What you see in Calibre is not what you see on the reader and my last experience this evening is just going into the library only to see all the changes I made yesterday have now disappeared.

This has not been a happy time. Would you know where I could get a copy of 6.28 as that seemed a more stable release?

Many thanks

David
Latitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
DennisDoyle
Dennis

There isn't a download of 6.28 on Calibre site. I have the zip files that I kept when I first downloaded. Email me your postal address and I will gladly send you a copy on disk - I'm sure Kovid will not mind that as he offers this as freeware/shareware. It would be useful if Kovid posted an older versions download facility on his site so that others could use them when they meet these sort of problems. My email is
dennis@dldoyle.freeserve.co.uk

regards

dennis
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
baratono
baratono began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Older versions of Calibre (since 0.6.17) are available on SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/
baratono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisDoyle View Post
Pity I cant get the upgrade though - I dont understand why.
I had a lot of trouble going from .31 to .32. I would install .32, but the the info on right hand side of screen showed that 6.31 was loaded. However, if I tried to install .32 again, it just asked if I wanted to remove/repair, while if I tried to install .31, it said .32 was installed.

As I was in the middle of posting about this odd behavior (and making a fool of myself again) I remembered that I had set up the development environment (on Windows), with an environment variable pointing to the source code.

Doh! It was running the older .31 source code, not the new .32 binary. Changing the environment variable fixed it.

It's just a thought, but if you've been playing with the source code.......
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #11
DennisDoyle
Dennis

I wouldnt know where the source code was!
Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@DennisDoyle: Have a look at this ticket, it has similar issues to your and was fixed by updating the nmouse drivers. http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/4373#comment:3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
PixelAllie
PixelAllie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
I have had the same problem with 0.6.45 and the Intuos 4 Tablet. I've got the latest drivers and I still have this issue. I have discovered that the issues only exist with the mouse and using the tablet pen does not result in the same problems. I therefore have to use the Intuos Pen when I use Calibre
PixelAllie is offline   Reply With Quote