Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Novasea
Enthusiast
Novasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litterNovasea doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Thanking you all very much

Hi Everyone,

I received my Sony reader 505 last week. Prior to deciding on purchasing/receiving it I spent a lot of time here lurking on the forum reading about the Sony..about various tools..about ebooks in general.

I wanted to write and thank all of you for this forum...it is a tremendous resource, the likes of which is not to be found anyplace else.

The level of knowledge, the sharing of information and the integrity of that information is amazing.

I have been using Calibre and especially want to express my thanks for such a wonderful utility. I use it almost daily and it has proven to be invaluable.

As much as I appreciate Calibre, I appreciate even more the knowledge that went into developing it and the kindness that makes it so freely available. The integrity and kindness of the developer is clearly evident in the frequent updates and in his awareness of and participation with the folks who use Calibre. My thanks to you.

I am not "gifted" with vast knowledge in regard to computer technology. I generally have to read things over and over...and often have to do further research in order to understand exactly what is being said. However, in the short time that I have been a member of this forum I have learned much and have no doubt that I will learn much more.

That being said, there is little I can contribute to the technological aspects of this forum. I can, however, contribute my sincere appreciation for all of you and for this wonderful resource.

Novasea
Novasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you get as much pleasure out of your eBook reader as I do from mine.

We have a wonderful community here and I hope you'll hang around to chat and ask for help whenever you need it.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
welcome to the forum, novasea. i think all our members will be really pleased to hear that you found so much help here. i agree that this is a truly amazing ressource, built by a truly amazing community. i'm sure there will be many more great things to share so do keep stopping in !

and now that you have your shiny new 505, don't forget to look at all the wonderful (free !) ebooks lovingly handcrafter by our members (click on the "e-books" link in the blue navigation bar, if you haven't found it yet). i'm sure you'll find plenty of things to keep you busy in there !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #4
bmwvan
Connoisseur
bmwvan is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 4700/Fictionwise reader/Sony 505
I want to add my welcome to the others. I did the same thing you did and then had so many questions, all of which were answered by this group. Please enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to jump in with your thoughts. Everyone adds value to life if they want to.
bmwvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Novasea and welcome to the Forum. I got a Sony 505 back in January and like it a lot. Be sure and check out all the free books like Zelda suggested.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Welcome, Novasea! I started out the same way and I've found so much help from people taking the time to talk me through whatever the problem I had -- saving me from going insane or tearing my hair out in frustration.I truly think MobileRead has saved my sanity!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
I'll second all the above! I got my 505 back in June and, like Novasea, spent a lot of time lurking around this forum trying to get my head round the technology and the sourcing of content (which is a work still in progress!!).
All my painful questions are answered with great knowledge and patience and I'm sincerely grateful to everyone for that!

Thanks!

dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
tdavie
tdavie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
I'll add my thanks to this thread. I just picked up my 505 yesterday, although I too have been lurking here for quite a while. Quite likely, without this forum, I would not have purchased my reader, since I own a Mac, and was aware that the Sony software would not work on it (I do use Parallels, and have installed the software, but if I wasn't able to transfer books natively, I would not have made the decision to buy).

Thanks to the great people here, I found out about Calibre (it works great Kovid!!!!), and CLIT/ConvertLit GUI (these too work flawlessly in Parallels). I also would not have known that a PSP adapter works (I owe someone a beer since I saved a few $ here ).

Again, a hats off to everyone

thanks

Tom

(as a postscript, I'll add that I did order the Sony backlight/cover after reading some reviews and seeing some oics posted here)
tdavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to hear calibre is making ebooks a more pleasant experience for all of you, that was the whole point of writing it
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:37 AM   #10
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Novasea, I agree with what you said about Calibre, so I'd like to join you in thanking Kovid for this wonderful software--thank you Kovid!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote