Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Planned installation method?

Hi,

first off, I'm pretty excited about this project and will probably try this out. But there is one question I haven't been able to answer for myself: how is installation going to be? If it was up to me to decide, I'd like both the method of booting it from SD or internal memory kind of like a Linux Live-CD and the option to install it as the firmware on the device itself, replacing the factory firmware- provided there is a way to go back to the manufacturers firmware. If only one of these methods are possible, it would, in my opinion, be best to have booting from SD or internal without replacing the firmware, thus having the reader boot OpenInkpot every time it loads until the user deletes it from memory.
Have decisions been made on this topic?

Greetings,
Manichean
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
mrdini
Connoisseur
mrdini doesn't littermrdini doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V2 & V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Hi,

first off, I'm pretty excited about this project and will probably try this out. But there is one question I haven't been able to answer for myself: how is installation going to be? If it was up to me to decide, I'd like both the method of booting it from SD or internal memory kind of like a Linux Live-CD and the option to install it as the firmware on the device itself, replacing the factory firmware- provided there is a way to go back to the manufacturers firmware. If only one of these methods are possible, it would, in my opinion, be best to have booting from SD or internal without replacing the firmware, thus having the reader boot OpenInkpot every time it loads until the user deletes it from memory.
Have decisions been made on this topic?

Greetings,
Manichean
Whilst nothing's set in stone at the moment (it's still early days!), it looks likely we'll be able to offer users both options i.e. install into the firmware, or boot from SD.

I think there's already a trac ticket for this feature, but website's offline
Advert
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdini View Post
Whilst nothing's set in stone at the moment (it's still early days!), it looks likely we'll be able to offer users both options i.e. install into the firmware, or boot from SD.
That's great news. Is there going to be a (relatively) simple way to revert back to original firmware, should one choose to install?
Old 07-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
That's great news. Is there going to be a (relatively) simple way to revert back to original firmware, should one choose to install?
If you choose to install instead of run-from-sd-card, you'd be best served by keeping the latest firmware installation file for your device handy. With that, you should be able to just do a re-flash using that firmware.

Derek
Old 07-26-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
If you choose to install instead of run-from-sd-card, you'd be best served by keeping the latest firmware installation file for your device handy. With that, you should be able to just do a re-flash using that firmware.

Derek
Great news, thanks.
Advert