Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 02-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
joelphilippage
joelphilippage began at the beginning.

Device: pocket pc
Buying Kindle books without a Kindle

Hey I'm having a bit of an issue. There is a book in a series I really like. I wanted to buy an eBook edition but the only version I can find is kindle and I am using a pocket pc. I found out how to convert the formats but I can't buy it from Amazon unless my account is registered with a Kindle. Is there a way to buy it? Thanks.
joelphilippage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
No, Kindle books can only be purchased (as of right now) with a Kindle.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 AM   #3
ebookguru
ebookguru began at the beginning.

Device: BlackBerry
Amazon would increase there sales if they did open up their eBook store to everyone. Kindle books are just non-DRMed mobi ebooks, and almost every device out their could read them.
ebookguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #4
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
And would decrease their Kindle-device sales. I believe they're profiting mainly from the devices, not the ebooks.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
And would decrease their Kindle-device sales. I believe they're profiting mainly from the devices, not the ebooks.
Actually, I highly disagree. Delivery of ebooks to the desktop and mobile phones would be a FANTASTIC gateway to people saying "This reading experience is OK, but doesn't match up with paper. Hey, I hear that Kindle device is supposed to be good."

The paradigm is the converse of King Gilette's "Razor and blades" business model, and it's exactly the way Apple uses the iTunes Music Store (minimal profit margins) to sell iPods (huge profit margins).

Last edited by curtw; 02-17-2009 at 09:47 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #6
ebookguru
ebookguru began at the beginning.

Device: BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Actually, I highly disagree. Delivery of ebooks to the desktop and mobile phones would be a FANTASTIC gateway to people saying "This reading experience is OK, but doesn't match up with paper. Hey, I hear that Kindle device is supposed to be good."
I agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Users who began enjoying Kindle books would be more likely to buy a Kindle, not less likely.

Suddenly you have people who own $500 mobile phones discovering the convenience of taking their books with them. Those same people who forked out the money for that BlackBerry or iPhone are the type of buyers that Amazon wants to attract. They obviously have no problem spending money on technology, and the Kindle adds to the experience of reading on the go.

If you want an example - Check out how things are going for Cory Doctorow. He's an author who makes his books freely available under a Creative Commons license and he is selling more books because of it, not less. This doesn't have anything to do with Kindle readers, but it is a clear example of how opening something up pushes for growth.
ebookguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookguru View Post
If you want an example - Check out how things are going for Cory Doctorow. He's an author who makes his books freely available under a Creative Commons license and he is selling more books because of it, not less. This doesn't have anything to do with Kindle readers, but it is a clear example of how opening something up pushes for growth.
With respect, that argument is a complete "red herring". Mr. Doctorow uses eBooks to advertise his paper books. If eBooks were to "take over" and people stopped buying pBooks, Mr. Doctorow's marketting model would no longer work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookguru View Post
Amazon would increase there sales if they did open up their eBook store to everyone. Kindle books are just non-DRMed mobi ebooks, and almost every device out their could read them.
Two points:

1. The overwhelming majority of Kindle books do use Mobi DRM, with Amazon's own DRM server (rather than the "public" MobiPocket server that other Mobi bookstores use). Kindle books cannot, therefore, be read on any device other than a Kindle without removing the DRM, something which is illegal to do in the majority of countries.

2. Amazon subsidise the "best sellers" in the Kindle store as a "loss leader" for the Kindle itself. If they were to start offering books for other devices, clearly this would no longer be practical to do, and the inevitable result would be increased prices for everybody.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:24 AM   #9
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
"But hey, Sony PRS--- is so much better-looking and cheaper. I'll buy from Kindle Store but read on Sony."

While I'd very much like Kindle to make their store open to just everyone I don't see it happening. Such a move would certainly be beneficial to the ebook world but I'm not sure about Amazon's benefits.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Quote:
I dunno about this. The whole point of the ebook readers, really, is that people don't like to read on their computers. And if you say, here, read this on your computer, and people don't like that, it might actually turn them off from paying for a device, since they may think they don't like ebooks and not realize they might enjoy them on a device.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #11
WifeOfBath
WifeOfBath doesn't litterWifeOfBath doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I own an iPhone and am capable of comfortably reading journals on the screen, but would love the ability to take texts I need to read out and about with me. If Amazon provided book downloads again, for those that recall their PDF style books from years ago, it would greatly enhance my professional life.

The Kindle is fine, but why purchase a device I have almost no use for when my current PDA has the ability to accomplish the same?
WifeOfBath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
2. Amazon subsidise the "best sellers" in the Kindle store as a "loss leader" for the Kindle itself.
I also hear that they are saying, we are doing this for early adopters and to show that there is a viable market for these ebook things. Also, I think 9.99 for a new novel is a good price. Then again, I was never one to buy a hard cover at first release price, I would usually wait for the paper back then buy the hard cover off the bargin bin for $2-$3 less than the new paperback edition.

BOb

(The exception being the Harry Potter books. But they weren't $25 at release either.)
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
europas_ice
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WifeOfBath View Post
The Kindle is fine, but why purchase a device I have almost no use for when my current PDA has the ability to accomplish the same?
Hey, if you have something that works, you don't need anything else. I don't think an iPhone would work for me. I don't think I would enjoy reading off the small screen. But hey, if someone wants to get me an iPhone I'd be willing to try it!
Old 02-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #14
apswartz
e-book reader
apswartz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Google Play Books on Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I also hear that they are saying, we are doing this for early adopters and to show that there is a viable market for these ebook things. Also, I think 9.99 for a new novel is a good price. Then again, I was never one to buy a hard cover at first release price, I would usually wait for the paper back then buy the hard cover off the bargin bin for $2-$3 less than the new paperback edition.
+1 And then I would either give the hardback away or donate it to the library.
apswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
europas_ice
Groupie

In response to the original question here, I think there are now two ways (but only two) to buy an ebook from Amazon. (1) On the kindle. (2) On an iPhone with the new amazon ebook app installed. Unfortunately this doesn't improve joelphilippage's situation at all.