Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
My yesterday's post - Freies Web Browsing mit PW 3G auch in Deutschland möglich?

Dear pdurrant,

yesterday you closed the thread I opened about the above mentioned topic for reason of "Don't steal 3G from Amazon".

Apparently you misinterpreted the use of Kindle 3G for web access as being illegal. Using Kindle 3G for web browsing is known and tolerated by Amazon for years. Why do you think US citizens get unlimited access? Why do you think customers abroad are granted limited access to free web browsing up to 50 MB/month? All data traffic is routed over Amazons servers and is cleared by Amazon. It could be stopped easily. Therefore, there is no stealing at all involved.

Why is the discussion of this topic tolerated on the English forum of mobileread, while you close it in the german forum?

Quite a lot of reasonable questions which deserve a sound answer. If you can't answer them properly, I kindly ask you to reconsider the closing and to open this thread again.

Regards,
Philju
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:53 AM   #2
bookwormteacher
bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.bookwormteacher knows what's going on.

Device: Sony prs-t3, voyage, oasis 1 and 2, Kobo h2O, Tolino Epos
Dear Philju,
It's not possible as far as I know. You've only Access to Wikipedia and amazon to buy books. I only know about 3 g for kindle Keyboard but I don't think there is a difference.
Best wishes from Germany
bookwormteacher
bookwormteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moved to feedback.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
yesterday you closed the thread I opened about the above mentioned topic for reason of "Don't steal 3G from Amazon".
Perhaps my note was a little harsh. I have substituted a different note.

A response to your other points is being prepared.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Amazon Kindle devices include limited web access over 3G. That Amazon intends this access to be limited is obvious from the restrictions in the web browser included in the Kindle devices.

Even if Amazon have accidentally left a loophole somewhere in the complex software on their device, this is not permission from Amazon to use their service in a way they they did not intend, especially as it costs Amazon real money. Earlier model Kindles did not have this restriction, but Amazon evidently felt they could not afford to continue to provide free unlimited access to the Internet to their 3G users, especially in light of how many people abused the privilege through the practice of tethering other devices to it. But for whatever reason, they now restrict the Internet usage to only their store and, as a courtesy, Wikipedia.

Discussion of ways to circumvent Amazon's restrictions on the usage of the 3G data service on Kindle devices is not permitted at MobileRead. If you think such a discussion is going on in any part of MobileRead, please report it to the moderators.

Here is another template we have used in the past when this issue arose:

Moderator Notice
Making use of this loophole is most likely against Amazon's TOS. Remember that the data going through your Kindle is tied to a unique ID, and that if you do this, Amazon is most likely going to know. You are going to take the risk of potentially bricking your device.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
But for whatever reason, they now restrict the Internet usage to only their store and, as a courtesy, Wikipedia.
We know exactly what the reason is. The reason is to stop people from tethering and stealing free 3G. Amazon's way to stop it was to limit the 3G use other then Amazon' store and Wiki.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
Dear pdurrant,

yesterday you closed the thread I opened about the above mentioned topic for reason of "Don't steal 3G from Amazon"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Perhaps my note was a little harsh. I have substituted a different note....
We had a discussion before the thread was closed, and in all fairness to pdurrant I was the one who suggested that particular mod note. The note was a bit harsh in its tone and for that I apologize, but the message conveyed was how we feel about the use of Amazon services beyond what Amazon itself has sanctioned.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote