Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #136
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Geesh, this what I get when I take your side?
I'll show you another resting place. What's the adjective meaning "where the sun don't shine?"
Anally-retentive ?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #137
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
A few more words I ran into today that are used in Burt's Polish->English definitions: mephitic, orthopnoea, amphiscious. I wonder if these words were more commonly known in the 19th century, or if the person who wrote them just looked them up in some other reference works?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #138
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Pavane
(although I didn't look it up in a dictionary but in the wikipedia)
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #139
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Pavane
(although I didn't look it up in a dictionary but in the wikipedia)
That one I know from crossword puzzles. (hmm, maybe should start a thread to find out how many readers like word puzzles of some kind.)
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #140
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
My word of the day is reredos - an ornamental screen covering the wall at the back of an alter. Love my kindle dictionary.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #141
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
My word of the day is reredos - an ornamental screen covering the wall at the back of an alter. Love my kindle dictionary.
Another crossword favourite (at least in the Everyman Cryptic Crossword that comes in the Globe and Mail).
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #142
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Quote:
What are the odds! I looked up "purdah" earlier today, another screen based word:
a. A curtain or screen, used mainly in India to keep women separate from men or strangers.
b. The Hindu or Muslim system of sex segregation, practiced especially by keeping women in seclusion.

I also found that the word is used in the U.K. the world of politics. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purdah_...ection_period)

That I learned so much from checking one word shows the value of looking things up. Had I glossed over that word, dismissing its use as pretentious and high-falutin', I'd have really lost out.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #143
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do like authors who don't talk down to their readers. Even if, in my case, when it's a Military Science Fiction novel and used in the middle of a firefight.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #144
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
A few more words I ran into today that are used in Burt's Polish->English definitions: mephitic, orthopnoea, amphiscious. I wonder if these words were more commonly known in the 19th century, or if the person who wrote them just looked them up in some other reference works?
Mephitic is less obscure than the others; it's still actively, if only occasionally, used.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #145
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do like authors who don't talk down to their readers. Even if, in my case, when it's a Military Science Fiction novel and used in the middle of a firefight.
"They're in defilade behind the reredos to the left of the nave! Gunny, take a Gauss cannon crew and lowbounce onto their flank. If they get that tachyon mortar set up, we're screwed. Now go!"
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #146
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBilly View Post
"They're in defilade behind the reredos to the left of the nave! Gunny, take a Gauss cannon crew and lowbounce onto their flank. If they get that tachyon mortar set up, we're screwed. Now go!"
Yeah... Not quite what I'm reading (Ghostmaker by Dan Abnett), but that's the idea.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #147
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Having been in firefights, I can imagine what would happen if an officer said that to his sergeant. It may well be why the French lost at Dien Bien Phu.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #148
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Having been in firefights, I can imagine what would happen if an officer said that to his sergeant. It may well be why the French lost at Dien Bien Phu.

Stitchawl
You mean because the French non-coms were all pretending not to understand orders given in English?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #149
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
You mean because the French non-coms were all pretending not to understand orders given in English?

That must be it.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #150
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
I looked up a word from a Patrick O'Brien book about two weeks ago (I forgot what exact word). It was clear from the context that it was a type of sail but I wanted to know what type of sail as the action implied it was an important type. The dictionary promptly told me that it was "a type of sail"...
A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote