Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #181
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster:

Heh. Downside of using PWD as a tmpdir and using a wildcard or . as input from that same directory? You'll probably end up eating your own tail .
Does that (i.e., you getting an extra kindletool_create_tarball_XXXXXX file in your package) always happen, or was that one a fluke? (Or a remain of the previous broken builds, some of which did not delete every tmp file properly).

IIRC, libarchive doesn't care whether one uses / or \, so both should work, but I may be misremembering that, or there's another issue elsewhere...

Anyway, thanks for your reports & various tests, glad we got most of it worked out .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-18-2016 at 07:16 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #182
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Those included tarballs were residue left in my install bin when a kindletool (old version) had a temp file failure with the "." tempdir kludge. If I forgot to delete them, the next build (even with a good kindletool) snarfed them up as part of the package (what happened with the first mediafire upload).

However, I just looked in my scrollback buffer, and the intermittent fail I just mentioned was preceded by a "dir" which showed ONLY install.sh in my install folder. The only thing I did to make it work on the next attempt was to delete the destination Update.bin files of the same name.

Regarding slashes, mingw kindletool fails with a backslash in the path argument.

Interestingly, at one job I worked at back in the day, we had the source code for MS-DOS 1.0 (which I read front to back), and it supported BOTH forward slashes and backslashes in file paths (at least in the source code, but I never tried it because we were adding DOS API support to a unix-ish system. For some reason Microsoft REMOVED forward slash path support in later versions (perhaps to discourage Unix fans?). Back in the day I had a shelf of AT&T unix books, and I wrote a kernel driver for our custom hardware. My main development system (early rare expensive laptop) had a small (first gen) LCD with medium greenish-grey background and slightly darker bluish-grey squashed (not pixel doubled) characters (not backlit, and highly dependent on bright lighting and viewing angle, some of which were unreadable altogether). My eyes hurt just remembering the late night coding binges sessions in those days... I cannot even remember how many device drivers (and bare-metal embedded firmware from total scratch, including cutting and jumpering mistakes I found on prototype hardware) I wrote in my lifetime. Typically most device drivers began life as diagnostics, and grew sideways from there... Probably why I still enjoy native programs and I am looking and writing kernel mode drivers (for "rootkit/hiding hacks from amazon" support?)...

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-18-2016 at 08:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #183
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll probably add the tmpfile templates to the archive exclude list as a workaround, that should take care of that.

I'll see if I can figure out what happens with backslashes, but don't hold your breath on that one .
Old 04-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #184
NiLuJe
BLAM!

There, 1.6.4.69 *should* automatically exclude its own tempfile .

(Which in turn prevents it from trying to sign it, because the standard libarchive check (which is what's tripped in @GM's example) doesn't account for that ).
Old 05-29-2018, 07:31 PM   #185
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Finally tagged v1.6.5 .

Should support everything up to the KOA2.

Discontinued the Cygwin binaries, because they're a PITA to build (I'd have to reboot, and, well, reinstall Cygwin). Should you *really* need to use it under Cygwin, it's fairly easy to build.

(NB: Yes, that means updated snapshots will come, Soon(TM)).

EDIT: Snapshots are here! Yay! *throws confetti*

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-30-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Advert
Old 07-08-2019, 10:07 AM   #186
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
what does "PSA" mean???????????
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #187
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
what does "PSA" mean???????????
Public Service Announcement
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #188
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Strange, I was convinced it stood for "Don't Feed The Troll"... .
Old 12-21-2021, 09:15 PM   #189
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
hi. i am trying to extract wallpapers from a kindle update file (5.14.1) and when i run the kindletool, it opens a cmd window so fast, i do not know how to use this.

Can anyone help me guide me to do this?

Thanks
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 09:41 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
hi. i am trying to extract wallpapers from a kindle update file (5.14.1) and when i run the kindletool, it opens a cmd window so fast, i do not know how to use this.

Can anyone help me guide me to do this?

Thanks
See my reply in the thread in which you originally asked about the process.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindletool, update