Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older
rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kindle
An absurd Choose Your Own Adventure ebook for only $2.99

"I checked out other interactive fiction ebooks, and this was one of my favorites. Lots of strange stuff happening, some wildly divergent threads, and a healthy dose of WTF keep this ebook interesting even after multiple reads. Will this be the next big trend in ebooks? I sure hope so." -- J.A. Konrath from review on Amazon.com

And a rating of 4 / 5 from our very own ficbot.

Not mention a 'must-read' review from our very own ex-communicated James Reed:

"The Adventures of Whatley Tupper is representative of the boundless creativity, raw energy, and just plain sheer fun and entertainment that independent authors are capable of and deserve recognition for accomplishing. There are things done with this story that is only possible through the new digital revolution in publishing that is the ebook. While it follows the Choose Your Own Adventure style of books from when we were kids, in this case by way of embedded hyperlinks which can be selected on your ereader device, the authors take the reader on a wild, wild ride that’s worth every penny you spend for this title." -- Digital Spotlight Fiction Review 15/09/2010

If you loved those Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid, then perhaps you should check out "The Adventures of Whatley Tupper" from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Wha...2520055&sr=8-1

It's a adult and comedic take on those wonderful books from the 80's. Take control of a middle-aged, Magnum PI obsessed janitor at a university and decide his fate. Does he find the deported love of his life? Does he tame the reclusive murderer living in the campus tunnels? Does he enlist the help of the local Denny's night manager? Does he ever get to meet his idol, Tom Selleck? Choose well, and he can do all of this. Choose poorly, and, well, he'll probably end up dead. But let's be honest here, that's the fun part.

A 33% sample is available at Smashwords:
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22598

Yes, for Whatley Tupper, something is in the air tonight... and it's not just the carbon monoxide leaking from the furance.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.
rudykerkhoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
MosesSiregarIII
Writer, Reader, Conquerer
MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.MosesSiregarIII writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Heck yeah.
MosesSiregarIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:04 AM   #3
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older
rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.rudykerkhoven seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Until Sunday, September the 19th, The Adventures of Whatley Tupper is only 99 cents! That's cheaper than a Snickers bar! And much more healthy:

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

check out the book at:
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Wha...sr=8-1-catcorr

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-23-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
How does a choose your own adventure type book work on something like a kindle? I can see it working on a sony, you can turn to the whatever page you want. Or maybe I'm not getting the concept...?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Every so often in the course of the story you get to choose between two choices of what the character can do and just click on the link that represents your choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
How does a choose your own adventure type book work on something like a kindle? I can see it working on a sony, you can turn to the whatever page you want. Or maybe I'm not getting the concept...?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm too old to have read such books (remember buying some for my kids)..

I think I'll rely on the author to write the best story he or she can.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Every so often in the course of the story you get to choose between two choices of what the character can do and just click on the link that represents your choice.
ah... I can't click on my ebook reader, so I wasn't sure how it worked.... I do remember choose your own adventure stories quite well, being a big fan in the 5th grade.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older

For the Kindle (or the Kindle apps), it's quite simple. When you have a choice, instead of turning to a page, there's a hyperlink you click on, which automatically brings you to that section. Also, on a Kindle there is a BACK button, which allows you to trace your steps in reverse.

Like I said, this version has been formatted for Kindle readers, so I'm not sure how it would work on others. If someone knows, please tell me.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Nice to see someone take advantage of new technology. We've discussed the concept of having a Choose Your Own Adventure type novel on several different occasions here, check the threads for our input.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #10
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older

J.A. Konrath just released his own take on the choose your own adventure books, Banana Hammock

http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Hammock...4433371&sr=1-1

It's interesting to see different people take different takes on what seems like a simple idea: making a choose your own adventure for adults.

My book has no common theme, instead it veers into a number of completely different plots, with choices every 3-4 pages. Konrath's has one main plot, with choices every page. It'll be curious to see how different people take on this genre... especially is someone tries to do a drama this way. Personally, I don't think it's possible, but what do I know?

(and now time for some more shameless self promotion

THE ADVENTURES OF WHATLEY TUPPER is only 99 cents at Amazon until Sunday, September 19th...

(shameless self promotion complete. for now)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I remember researching these. And the different choices and programming alone was staggering. I remember reading one book had 960 different branches. That's a lot of code.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Smashwords is showing it at $2.99. Any way you could send me a coupon code so I could review it for my blog?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older

Looking for reviews of books with lots of vitriol and unbridled honesty? You should check out the Digital Spotlight Review. And, oh, Whatley Tupper is reviewed...

http://digitalspotlightfictionreview...iel-pitts.html
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I bought a copy. Couldn't resist finding out what happened to the hero next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudykerkhoven View Post

My book has no common theme, instead it veers into a number of completely different plots, with choices every 3-4 pages. Konrath's has one main plot, with choices every page. It'll be curious to see how different people take on this genre... especially is someone tries to do a drama this way. Personally, I don't think it's possible, but what do I know?

(and now time for some more shameless self promotion

THE ADVENTURES OF WHATLEY TUPPER is only 99 cents at Amazon until Sunday, September 19th...

(shameless self promotion complete. for now)
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
rudykerkhoven
keeps getting older

Thanks, Crich. I hope you enjoy it as much as some others have. Did you download the sample first?

Tags
comedy