Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Bought a Badly Formatted Book From B&N

I bought a copy of "Influencer" through the nook while waiting for a flight yesterday. When I opened it to read, I found out the entire book
is formatted with all the text centered on the page.

It's legible, however, it is annoying. I guess I have tow questions:
  • Is it possible to reformat the book for left justification using Calibre or something? I couldn't do it through the nook interface.
  • Is it worth following up with B&N? The fact that this book costs $19.95US adds insult to the injury. However, I do realize most business books are more expensive.

I just downloaded the book from the B&N web site and expected an epub file. However, it has the .pdb extension. Could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited by lionel47; 05-15-2010 at 10:43 AM. Reason: More information
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I bought a copy of "Influencer" through the nook while waiting for a flight yesterday. When I opened it to read, I found out the entire book

It's legible, however, it is annoying. I guess I have tow questions:
  • Is it possible to reformat the book for left justification using Calibre or something? I couldn't do it through the nook interface.
  • Is it worth following up with B&N? The fact that this book costs $19.95US adds insult to the injury. However, I do realize most business books are more expensive.

I just downloaded the book from the B&N web site and expected an epub file. However, it has the .pdb extension. Could that have anything to do with it?
If you download the book using the PC B&N reader you should get the epub version. Perhaps that one is better formatted?
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
If you download the book using the PC B&N reader you should get the epub version. Perhaps that one is better formatted?
Thanks for the suggestion. I installed the B&N reader app and downloaded the book again. However, it is a .pdb file. Great idea, though.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Is it worth following up with B&N? The fact that this book costs $19.95US adds insult to the injury.
Complain to B&N. Complain to the Publisher. Such appalling formatting is not on. I suspect that B&N did the conversion to .pdb and their automated conversion hasn't worked well.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #5
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Complain to B&N. Complain to the Publisher. Such appalling formatting is not on. I suspect that B&N did the conversion to .pdb and their automated conversion hasn't worked well.
Consider it complained. I will let everyone know what they say.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 AM   #6
lionel47
Addict

Well, I got a faster response from customer service than I expected.

"Thank you for your email regarding the quality of the text in your
Barnes & Noble eBook, "Influencer". Please accept our sincere apologies
for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Because this file is provided by the publisher, we are forwarding your
feedback to them for review. You can change the Font and Size format for
your ebook display, but unfortunately, you cannot change the centered
text to left justified, as the format is the way the publisher has
presented it.

As stated on our website, Barnes & Noble eBooks cannot be returned and
are non-refundable once they have been downloaded to a computer or
device. Our records show that your eBook was successfully downloaded
after purchase."
Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
beschuit
beschuit began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3 (Kaput), nook
If the publisher doesn't respond, I would de-DRM it, and re-author the book.
beschuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beschuit View Post
If the publisher doesn't respond, I would de-DRM it, and re-author the book.
I tried to re-author the book using Sigil. The left justification worked. However, the first letter of every paragraph became its own paragraph. I'm not patient enough to go through the entire book to fix that. And I am not adept enough technically to figure out an automated fix. So, I have put that book away for now and will wait to see if the publisher comes up with anything soon. If not, I will do my best to stay away from that publisher.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
terekkincaid
Connoisseur
terekkincaid doesn't litterterekkincaid doesn't litter

Device: nook
Quote:

As stated on our website, Barnes & Noble eBooks cannot be returned and
are non-refundable once they have been downloaded to a computer or
device. Our records show that your eBook was successfully downloaded
after purchase."
Don't let them smokescreen you with that crap. If you bought a defective book, they owe you a credit. They can de-authorize it easily (thus removing it from your possession), and you have email proof that they have acknowledged there is a problem. Kick it up the chain. Go to consumerist.com and search for EECB (Executive Email Carpet Bomb) and find instructions on how to send one. Be sure to CC: tips@consumerist.com. B&N won't want the bad PR, and will probably not only refund the $20, but give you an extra $20 for bringing the problem to their attention. Don't let them get away with it. Use the internet for the power of good!
terekkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:08 PM   #10
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by terekkincaid View Post
Don't let them smokescreen you with that crap. If you bought a defective book, they owe you a credit. They can de-authorize it easily (thus removing it from your possession), and you have email proof that they have acknowledged there is a problem. Kick it up the chain. Go to consumerist.com and search for EECB (Executive Email Carpet Bomb) and find instructions on how to send one. Be sure to CC: tips@consumerist.com. B&N won't want the bad PR, and will probably not only refund the $20, but give you an extra $20 for bringing the problem to their attention. Don't let them get away with it. Use the internet for the power of good!
I wholeheartedly agree. You should also let B&N know this is a severe disadvantage to using them over Amazon/Kindle, as Amazon reacted to similar complaints about bad formatting from Kindle owners a few months ago and now allows for eBooks to be returned up to 7 days after purchase for issues such as this one. This is definitely one advantage Kindle has in the marketplace over the nook.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
Amazon reacted to similar complaints about bad formatting from Kindle owners a few months ago and now allows for eBooks to be returned up to 7 days after purchase for issues such as this one.
FWIW, Amazon has allowed returns since day one.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
I have had several eBooks that the conversion to .pdb was awful. You can tell when the TOC doesn't work.

SOMETIMES, I have found that adding &mediaProfile=Hrc to the end will download an epub.

Or delete it off the nook and redownload it.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote