Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #241
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@Nick_1964,

Now you have totally confused me. Your version of 2.8.1 kpg.conf line 12 is totally different from the one I suggested in post #226. You appear to have reverted back to the v07 original with 2 different settings for height and font-size.
Code:
`* {\n\theight: 30px;\n\tfont-size: 25px;\n}\n\n`
In case I didn't make it clear enough the first time... you asked what you could do to put a little more space between the 'Page x of y' text and the bottom of the screen. When I was originally playing with the v07 footer patch, I could not find any height/font-size settings which did what you asked for (and which I also wanted). Because I had already been using the v05 Patcher I thought the v05 footer patch was better (to me) than the v07 footer patch because the 'Page x of y' text was not quite so close to the bottom of the screen. After careful consideration, I decided it would be safe to change the v07 version of line 12 to the v05 version of line 12. If you look at the end of my code in post #226, you will see it is very different from what you have just posted.

In a nutshell, I am totally at a loss what you are trying to do because you appear to have totally ignored post #226.

Secondly, the error message you posted when running the Patcher... The clue would appear to be in this part of the error message
Code:
Data for replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and kpg.conf does not match!
libnickel.so.1.0.0 is already patched or from the wrong firmware version.
You need to make sure that the file libnickel.so.1.0.0 used as input by the v2.8.1 Patcher program is the original one Metazoa included in his 2.8.1 directory.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #242
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
@Nick_1964,

Now you have totally confused me. Your version of 2.8.1 kpg.conf line 12 is totally different from the one I suggested in post #226. You appear to have reverted back to the v07 original with 2 different settings for height and font-size.
Code:
`* {\n\theight: 30px;\n\tfont-size: 25px;\n}\n\n`
In case I didn't make it clear enough the first time... you asked what you could do to put a little more space between the 'Page x of y' text and the bottom of the screen. When I was originally playing with the v07 footer patch, I could not find any height/font-size settings which did what you asked for (and which I also wanted). Because I had already been using the v05 Patcher I thought the v05 footer patch was better (to me) than the v07 footer patch because the 'Page x of y' text was not quite so close to the bottom of the screen. After careful consideration, I decided it would be safe to change the v07 version of line 12 to the v05 version of line 12. If you look at the end of my code in post #226, you will see it is very different from what you have just posted.

In a nutshell, I am totally at a loss what you are trying to do because you appear to have totally ignored post #226.

Secondly, the error message you posted when running the Patcher... The clue would appear to be in this part of the error message
Code:
Data for replace in libnickel.so.1.0.0 and kpg.conf does not match!
libnickel.so.1.0.0 is already patched or from the wrong firmware version.
You need to make sure that the file libnickel.so.1.0.0 used as input by the v2.8.1 Patcher program is the original one Metazoa included in his 2.8.1 directory.
I have used the patch in : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=77
And now I see what I did wrong.
The mistake i made was that I only changed the red numbers you presented in my config line 12, didn't notice that it was totally different, so I deleted my line 12 and replaced it with yours and no error, the error about a "already patched file" is wrong.
Now I gonna place it in my Kobo.

Did replaced it and changing the values in red does give me more or less white space at the bottom, but now to figure out how to get the white space less and the page nn of nn at the same place.

it now is:
Code:
 replace_zlib = 1205FF4, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 82px;\n\tmax-height: 82px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 110;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 120px;\n\tmax-height: 120px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 26px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`, `ReadingFooter {\n\tmin-height: 70px;\n\tmax-height: 70px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tmin-height: 40px;\n\tmax-height: 40px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 40;\n}\n\nReadingFooter[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tmin-height: 50px;\n\tmax-height: 50px;\n\tqproperty-footerMargin: 20;\n}\n\n* {\n\tfont-size: 16px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="kraken"], \n[deviceCodeName="phoenix"] {\n\tfont-size: 20px;\n}\n\n[deviceCodeName="dragon"] {\n\tfont-size: 24px;\n}\n\n[localeName="ja_JP"] {\n\tfont-family: A-OTF Gothic MB101 Pr6N;\n}`

Last edited by Nick_1964; 10-04-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #243
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If anybody is interested in changing the reading footer style in FW 2.9.0, the address is 13508E4 (instead of 1205FF4 of 2.8.1[a]).
Any tricks you can share on how you track down the compressed data?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #244
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Any tricks you can share on how you track down the compressed data?
Sure. The data is compressed by zlib. The compression level is "default compression." This means the compressed blocks start with the byte sequence 78 9C. Since zlib does not indicate the size of the compressed block, one starts decompressing at this position and continues until an error occurs. If there is no resulting data, 78 9C did not actually introduce compressed data in that case.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #245
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Thanks

With your lead (and some quick googling) I have now got a simple python script that will find all compressed streams in libnickel

I just have to dash out the door for a few hours but will cleanup the script and update the conf file when I get back!

Last edited by PeterT; 10-04-2013 at 11:03 AM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #246
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ Nick, nevermind, I've just seen your edited post

Last edited by jackie_w; 10-04-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: too late
Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #247
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
@ Nick, nevermind, I've just seen your edited post
Yes, stupid me, I understand that only the red values has to change so I bravely change them in my settings.. in this case the error message put you on the wrong track.
Now see what happens when I change the 60 / 60 value in 60/50 or zo, just to squeeze all the empty space..
I must say I am dissapointed a bit now in KOBO, I have the Aura HD, not one of the cheapest, only to see that a lot of that extra space is white, let me decide my margins, then I have to edit almost every ebook to cut out the margins there, and the .xpgt files has to be removed to.
I understand that in a real book you want to control the margins, but in a e-reader... now I hope Kobo doesn't send an update
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #248
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Thanks

With your lead (and some quick googling) I have now got a simple python script that will find all compressed streams in libnickel

I just have to dash out the door for a few hours but will cleanup the script and update the conf file when I get back!
Very nice! This script could open some doors for some people. They could for instance run it against kpg.exe and extract the python script. But don't let us forget: kpg.exe is copyrighted.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #249
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
This is an update to an earlier post. Thanks the TShering's work, I've added the custom reading footer modification.

If anyone is interested in testing this on an Aura, have fun. I've tested it on an Aura HD running 2.9.0 and it seems to work fine.

Only 5 items from Metazoa's original v7 patches have been included:
  • Custom Reading Footer Style
  • My line spacing values
  • Custom fonts sizes
  • Custom left & right margins
  • Brightness fine control

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: zip kpg-2.9.0.zip (8.36 MB, 400 views)
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #250
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
... now I hope Kobo doesn't send an update
It looks as if PeterT, tschering and DNSB, as well as Metazoa, may be able to help us all if/when the fw is updated.

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to hear this
Old 10-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #251
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
It looks as if PeterT, tschering and DNSB, as well as Metazoa, may be able to help us all if/when the fw is updated.

I can't tell you guys how happy I am to hear this
Me too! Kudos to you guys!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #252
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
Nice, now I'm less concerned about getting an unwanted update to 2.9.x on my HD. Hopefully the "Wi-Fi insomnia" and "Fix page breaks bug" patches can also be included.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #253
wgabi
Enthusiast
wgabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5
Quote:
Attached find my first version of a new conf file for the patcher and 2.8.1B.

I've only included the patches for
  • My line spacing values
  • Custom fonts sizes
  • Custom left & right margins

Good luck
thank you soooooo much i have the new 2.8.1 (b2c05cda0e, 20/09/13) on my HD and it worked perfectly, i also put DNSB's brightness controll (post #236), which is perfect as well
wgabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #254
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Since It took me a long time to understand the Russian patch as it is, I think I'll wait for V8 of it, hoping it will patch 2.8.1B as it is called around here.
Besides, I only need two patches from it. The long paragraph bug and full screen mode (for my AuraHD)

So PeterT I hope you plan to include V8 of the Russian patch when it is available, in your first post at the very beginning of this thread, please.
Thanks
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #255
bartbrat
bartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to beholdbartbrat is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Since It took me a long time to understand the Russian patch as it is, I think I'll wait for V8 of it, hoping it will patch 2.8.1B as it is called around here.
Besides, I only need two patches from it. The long paragraph bug and full screen mode (for my AuraHD)

So PeterT I hope you plan to include V8 of the Russian patch when it is available, in your first post at the very beginning of this thread, please.
Thanks
Luckily, user Akorx was kind enough to share the original 2.8.1 version. It works great, you can easily downgrade.

EDIT:
Apparently it's not allowed to give links to Kobo firmware. I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of this; I removed it.

Last edited by bartbrat; 10-06-2013 at 01:33 PM.
bartbrat is offline   Reply With Quote