Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #31
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I forget the exact reason for the 100 book confirm. It might have been crash protection and or buffer flush (needed housekeeping).
Yeah it was added because (a) some of the code libraries that calibre uses leak memory like a sieve, and (b) the PDF library particularly is most prone to crashing, and (c) the prompt is necessary to ensure that the database integrity against the user also performing updates at the same time on those books and data getting lost. Because of a and b the process was broken into batches (you can control the batch size yourself in the options for the Extract ISBN plugin) so someone scanning large numbers of books would not see a crash result in *all* of the isbns extracted so far to that point having to be done again, only that batch.

If you are only scanning ePub formats in your library it is very unlikely to crash so you could crank up the batch size a bit. However any other format means either the plugin does a conversion to ePub (which has memory leaks in the conversion pipeline) or in the case of PDF it uses the pdf2html library which while better than previous versions/libraries calibre has used in the past it can still crash or have issues...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #32
enitro
Enthusiast
enitro began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Thanks for the reply kiwidude.

One last question, I have categorized all my books now there is only one thing left, how do i fast review the books, what I mean is - i don't have to double click the book then it opens look up the cover or the text to see if it recognized the book but is there any side by side feature that I can see the first 10 pages on one side and metadata of the books on the other side with one click, because i have a lot to review.

Thanks.
enitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #33
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by enitro View Post
is there any side by side feature that I can see the first 10 pages on one side and metadata of the books on the other side with one click
There's no native side by side comparison tool/feature in Calibre.

How I do it is, I first use the Find Duplicates plug in to find and remove exact binary dupes. No need to visually compare those.

Then I use the "Open With" plug in and map opening books with Calibre's ebook reader to a Keyboard Shortcut and just visually compare them that way.
You could also probably utilize the plug in to pass files to a diff tool or visual comparison tool if you can find one that supports opening files via command line arguments and supports whatever formats you're dealing with.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #34
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DedTV View Post
Then I use the "Open With" plug in and map opening books with Calibre's ebook reader to a Keyboard Shortcut and just visually compare them that way.
Clever, but there is already a default shortcut for opening any selected book in calibre's viewer "v".
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #35
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Clever, but there is already a default shortcut for opening any selected book in calibre's viewer "v".
Calibre takes ages to open most non html books as it has to convert them on the fly so using a separate app is the correct way to go if they are epub he can use the isbn extractor plugin any way
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Calibre takes ages to open most non html books as it has to convert them on the fly so using a separate app is the correct way to go if they are epub he can use the isbn extractor plugin any way
True, but has nothing to do with my comment. I agree any non-html based books (for me this means PDF) in my library I open using a separate app. But the person I replied to was using the "Open with" plugin to open books in calibre's reader (as I highlighted in blue above) which is duplicating the built-in shortcut.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 AM   #37
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...is there any side by side feature that I can see the first 10 pages on one side and metadata of the books on the other side with one click, because i have a lot to review.
@enitro - Do you mean something like the picture below - it shows the xChange PDF viewer alongside Calibre. I also do the same with RTF using Word+Office Tabs

I can't do both at the same time because my monitors not good enough - a 30" WQXGA would do the trick, but... the bathroom also needs a makeover

I don't know how to do something similar with EPUB because I'm not aware of an EPUB viewer with a tabbed document interface or a page thumbnail sidebar - let alone both. If anyone knows of one please let me know - I tried the EPubReader for Firefox, sort of works - but my expectations have been set by Tracker's xChange and Word+Office Tabs.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	101529  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #38
enitro
Enthusiast

Yes this is exactly what i mean BterRed, but when you have to categorize 10 000 books opening them adds up, so I use Sumatra PDF reader, it can read almost(pdf,djvu,epub,mobi...) all formats and its super fast.

So open up a book with "v" shortcut
review it
move to the next one
automatically closes previous one
opens next one
also I have dual monitor so it makes it a little bit easier

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...Yes this is exactly what i mean...

Quote:
...so I use Sumatra PDF reader, it can read almost(pdf,djvu,epub,mobi...) all formats and its super fast.

also I have dual monitor so it makes it a little bit easier
I haven't looked at Sumatra for a long time, maybe its time to take another look

I tried using 2 monitors but it didn't work for me for this task, but I didn't have 10,000 books to do.

I saw an HP 30" WQXGA monitor on ebay recently for ~$700 - tempted - but the freight and insurance almost doubled the price, so... cheaper to buy a new one.

BR
Old 02-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #40
enitro
Enthusiast

Sorry BetterRed I forgot to add in my post, HOW do i do that:

review it
move to the next one
opens next one

especially the bold parts.

P.S - Does your progy do that.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #41
DedTV
Enthusiast
DedTV began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505; Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
That works if you only have the books in one format. 'V' won't let you compare specific formats in different records against each other.
Alt-V will, but you have to wait for a dialog box to pop up, then click or select the format you want, then repeat that with the next record.

Mapping a shortcut saves a few mouse clicks or keypresses and is a bit more efficient, especially as I use keyboard macros to make the process faster.
DedTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Sorry BetterRed I forgot to add in my post, HOW do i do that:

review it
move to the next one
opens next one

especially the bold parts.

P.S - Does your progy do that.

Thanks.
Something like that

I have epubs so I keep 'v' hooked to the calibre viewer

Via OpenWith PI
I have "ctrl/alt/p" hooked to open PDF's with xChange Viewer
I have "ctrl/alt/r" hooked to open RTF's with Word+OfficeTab

do
open first PDF with "ctrl/alt/p"
  1. review
  2. if needed update Summary & Tags
  3. update Status & MyModified Date custom columns
while not finished and not bored
  1. switch to Calibre with alt/tab
  2. move to the next book
  3. open with "ctrl/alt/p" or click PDF in Book Details
  4. opens PDF in a new Document Tab - the previous one is still in its Document Tab
  5. review
  6. if needed update Summary & Tags
  7. update Status & MyModified Date custom columns
endwhile
enddo

There's no extra program or script involved, just Windows, Calibre and the relevant Viewer - and the process I carry around in my head

Quote:
Alt-V will, but you have to wait for a dialog box to pop up, then click or select the format you want, then repeat that with the next record.
Thanks DedTV, didn't know about Alt/V, I'm sure I'll be able to use it

Cheers BR

Addendum - Sumatra PDF doesn't support multiple document tabs, if it did then I'd seriously consider it because it can also read EPUB & MOBI files.

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-25-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #43
enitro
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help BetterRed and DedTV.

Last edited by enitro; 02-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.