Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Cybook Numeric Entry Dialog

Here's an image of the numeric entry box used for "Go To Page".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AAACybookGoToPageSm.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	14935  
Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I think a phone arrangement of the numbers would have been better, particular if they ever support T9

Dale
Old 08-04-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I think a phone arrangement of the numbers would have been better, particular if they ever support T9

Dale

Sure, but I was actually just posting it because I'd forgotten my password and login over at OI and needed to show what it looked like to one of the people over there. We're discussing how to enter numbers into edit fields under OI on devices which don't have touchscreeen or numeric keys.

Derek
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A keypad up/down selecting numbers from a list works well on Garmin GPS systems.

Dale
Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A keypad up/down selecting numbers from a list works well on Garmin GPS systems.

Dale
I'd agree for single-digit numbers ('0'-'9' as opposed to '00'-'99') but on an e-ink device the scrolling is *slow* at best.

Derek
Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
My only complaint about the Dialog is that it is not available in the Menu, so that I can jump to a specific book.

My hope is that if Booken does that, then even if Folder support is not there, it would reduce the amount of time I currently spend scrolling through book to get to the one I want.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #7
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
My only complaint about the Dialog is that it is not available in the Menu, so that I can jump to a specific book.

My hope is that if Booken does that, then even if Folder support is not there, it would reduce the amount of time I currently spend scrolling through book to get to the one I want.
*Linux* supports folders. Java and C++ understand folders. There is *NO* reason that the Boo Reader app on the Cybook cannot deal with folders - except that Bookeen hasn't yet implemented it. And that is where OI and Madshelf differ from Boo Reader. I so look forward to seeing *real* folder navigation on a Cybook.

Derek
Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
I'd agree for single-digit numbers ('0'-'9' as opposed to '00'-'99') but on an e-ink device the scrolling is *slow* at best.

Derek
You don't exactly use scrolling, Rather you use a menu selection like the standard menu system available on many devices. The menu choices are the 0-9 and then a right arrow moves to the next number until all are specified. A select key terminates the number.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
*Linux* supports folders. Java and C++ understand folders. There is *NO* reason that the Boo Reader app on the Cybook cannot deal with folders - except that Bookeen hasn't yet implemented it.
There is an ongoing disussion on the Mobipocket forum. People are requesting it every couple of months.
Mobipocket simply doesn't want to use folders. According to them all managment is done with the reader. If you have the full blown Mobireader on a PC this is no problem. You can sort on anything you want and you can do a search. They simply see 'My eBooks' as one big database.

The Cybook is actually better with folders than MobiReader for the PC. The latter won't find anything in subfolders of "My eBook".

On the Cybook you can use subfolders with the name of the author. And use this as a primitive way of sorting your books. You will only find books that are in this toplevel directory.

But I can think of ways to improve on that. Folders would be one of them. But you won't need folders if you use the full Mobi approach. Make it possible for the reader to sort/search on any 'tag' like Title, Author, Subject etc

I don't care were the books are on my reader. As long as it is easy to find them.

This is how my ZEN MP3 player works. I do not jump from directory to directory. But I jump to Rock, AudioBook or Red Hot Chilly Peppers

Last edited by Ortep; 08-07-2008 at 10:02 AM.