Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #16
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
doesn't work with RTL langauges like arabic, it treats the text as english and as a result an arabic sentence is broken in two line but in reverse order which make it unreadable, need to add an RTL option to the app
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #17
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by youssef View Post
doesn't work with RTL langauges like arabic, it treats the text as english and as a result an arabic sentence is broken in two line but in reverse order which make it unreadable, need to add an RTL option to the app
indeed it has: http://www.willus.com/archive/k2pdfo...ght2left.shtml
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
youssef
youssef began at the beginning.

Device: JBL
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
thanks, but it fails if the document is a mix between arabic and english (i.e an RTL and LTR), the app should change the direction based on the font,
but anyways great effort although if it fails for a mixed doc
youssef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:30 AM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's complicated enough to get mixed LTR and RTL texts to display correctly, I don't think it's easy to process it backwards from image to text, but maybe something could be done with the intrinsic directionality of Unicode characters...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The way k2pdfopt works--by immediately converting to bitmaps--I'm afraid auto-detecting mixed text is beyond my current bag of tricks. It would have to involve some form of OCR or some new way of parsing the PDF file. Sorry.
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #21
tannenba
tannenba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Thanks for the new version, this is definitely the best PDF optimizer out there! I would say the reading experience for 75% of all the PDFs I read on my Kindle (and I read a lot) is vastly improved thanks to this program.

I found a PDF file that crashes the new version 1.25 of k2pdfopt. IIRC, conversion of this file used to work with older releases. The PDF file is here:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/dnj/publ...comparison.pdf
If I convert this file using v1.25 on Windows XP (win32) , it crashes a couple of pages into the file. If I use the "-gs" option, it completes successfully. Perhaps the new version has an updated PDF library that has a regression?
tannenba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #22
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
It works fine (and thx a lot for it)... only how am I able to append options on Mac? It seems it always interprets them as part of the file path and thus never makes use of them (justification is something I would really like to do)...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #23
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannenba View Post
Thanks for the new version, this is definitely the best PDF optimizer out there! I would say the reading experience for 75% of all the PDFs I read on my Kindle (and I read a lot) is vastly improved thanks to this program.

I found a PDF file that crashes the new version 1.25 of k2pdfopt. IIRC, conversion of this file used to work with older releases. The PDF file is here:
http://people.csail.mit.edu/dnj/publ...comparison.pdf
If I convert this file using v1.25 on Windows XP (win32) , it crashes a couple of pages into the file. If I use the "-gs" option, it completes successfully. Perhaps the new version has an updated PDF library that has a regression?
Sorry--I can't reproduce this. That PDF converts fine on my PC. What CPU do you have and how much RAM? I haven't updated mupdf since I incorporated it, so a regression in mupdf can't be it. Have you tried the conversion on a different PC? It could be some sort of variable not being initialized correctly so that it doesn't reproduce consistently. Or an array out of bounds (which often has inconsistent results). Sorry! At least ghostscript saved the day. BTW, I've posted v1.26.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 PM   #24
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
It works fine (and thx a lot for it)... only how am I able to append options on Mac? It seems it always interprets them as part of the file path and thus never makes use of them (justification is something I would really like to do)...
You should be able to create a script like so:
1. (Start terminal shell and type in 2 - 5 below)
2. cd Desktop
3. cat > k2pdfopt_custom
./k2pdfopt -ui -j 0 -odpi 250
<Ctrl-D>
4. chmod 755 k2pdfopt_custom
5. exit
Now k2pdfopt_custom should behave like k2pdfopt but with the new command line options (which are just an example). Add the -ui so that the interactive menu still comes up.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #25
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Unfortunately i'm getting "format error: not a PDF or corrupted." when trying to open the result after converting with "-odpi 150" or without any option. The source PDF is about 3.6MB and the result varies between 1.5M and 300KB.

The source contains pictures, 2- and 3-columns pages.

I'm using the latest version (just downloaded) for Windows running XP SP3.

Any idea ?
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Unfortunately i'm getting "format error: not a PDF or corrupted." when trying to open the result after converting with "-odpi 150" or without any option. The source PDF is about 3.6MB and the result varies between 1.5M and 300KB.

The source contains pictures, 2- and 3-columns pages.

I'm using the latest version (just downloaded) for Windows running XP SP3.

Any idea ?
If you can post the PDF files (source and result) or e-mail them to me, I'll be happy to investigate.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 AM   #27
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
If you can post the PDF files (source and result) or e-mail them to me, I'll be happy to investigate.
Hmmm..little bit tricky as i got it from a friend who got it from another one who in turn downloaded it from some other website which is located in the far east of europe...

but i'll check with some other PDF and come back to it...
Old 10-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #28
SkyDream
Wizard

Quote:
but i'll check with some other PDF and come back to it...
Ok, i check with other PDFs but no problem.
Then i checked the PDF in question again on my other PC running Vista instead of XP -> no problem. Tried again under XP -> Error. Again under Vista -> Ok.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #29
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Then i checked the PDF in question again on my other PC running Vista instead of XP -> no problem. Tried again under XP -> Error. Again under Vista -> Ok.
Sorry. I'd really need to see the file to track down whatever is happening in XP. I understand if you can't post it, though.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 AM   #30
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
You are not trying to use the win64 version (I'm using this with windows 7 no problem)?

I think there is a win32 version, probably for xp, or maybe an older xp version is available?

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools