Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
EpubReader 1.4.1.0 - No Page Numbering

Firefox has just updated this 1.4.1.0 and according to the what's New page there is supposed to be some form of progress indicator now in EpubReader.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to display. I've change the view with the button on the toolbar so the book view reset to having two pages displayed instead of the one page I prefer to have in book view and and it made no difference. I also tried adjusting the options with this didn't make a difference either.

I'm using WinXP Pro with FF 4 Beta 11.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Doh!!!

Ok, I see it. There is a narrow bar running along the bottom of the page that moves to the right when you go to the next page.

It's definitely unobtrusive. So unobtrusive I missed it to begin with.

I do like it as it doesn't impinge on the reading experience, just took me a while to realise it was there. Now I've found it, it's fine.

Good for tracking the progress in the chapter, just like what Aldiko used to use before they upgraded to v2.0.

Is there also the possibility of having a book progress as well, preferably as unobtrusive as the chapter progress bar?

I know I'm being greedy and wanting both, but I think it's good to have it as well.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 02-17-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Firefox has just updated this 1.4.1.0 and according to the what's New page there is supposed to be some form of progress indicator now in EpubReader.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get it to display.
The progressbar should look like you can see in the attached screenshots. If you have choosen dark colors in your windows theme, it's perhaps a bit hard to see it.
Attached Images

mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 AM   #4
ghostyjack
Guru

Yep, I got it. It was just the sun shining on my monitor fading out the screen stopping me from seeing it.

Wish I updated my second post a bit quicker, you wouldn't have needed to respond about that issue and make me look stupid. I did that well enough without help from others seeing as you did get it working, and me being blind.

Last edited by ghostyjack; 02-17-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
It's definitely unobtrusive. So unobtrusive I missed it to begin with.

I do like it as it doesn't impinge on the reading experience, just took me a while to realise it was there. Now I've found it, it's fine.
Okay great . Btw., for me you don't look stupid.

Quote:
Good for tracking the progress in the chapter, just like what Aldiko used to use before they upgraded to v2.0.

Is there also the possibility of having a book progress as well, preferably as unobtrusive as the chapter progress bar?

I know I'm being greedy and wanting both, but I think it's good to have it as well.
I knew that people would ask for this .

The problem with the book progress is, that an ePub file normally consists of several xhtml files, often one file per chapter. When you read e.g. chapter 1, EPUBReader opens the appropriate xhtml file for this chapter and just knows about the reading progress in this file. It doesn't know anything about the other files.
To have something like a book progress, it would be necessary to analyze the contents of ALL xhtml files and make a guess about the progress. Of course this can be done and I guess this is what Aldiko does, but it's pretty complex to implement and it takes also some time at runtime to analyze the files.

I put this on the change list, but I'm not sure if and when this will be available.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A

If you know the number of segments, why not throw up a progress-bar with equal sized segments (stacked bars) and compute the progress for the current segment only when it is open. Prior to that segment it is assumed 0, after it (the segment) is assumed 100. No need to compute all segments at once.

Slightly non-linear display, BUT, That is closer than anything we have on many reader devices
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

If you know the number of segments, why not throw up a progress-bar with equal sized segments (stacked bars) and compute the progress for the current segment only when it is open. Prior to that segment it is assumed 0, after it (the segment) is assumed 100. No need to compute all segments at once.

Slightly non-linear display, BUT, That is closer than anything we have on many reader devices
You are right, this could be a pretty easy way to implement it . I'll think about it.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
ghostyjack
Guru

That sounds good about the book progress. As long as you keep the chapter progress bar as well (or some weird combination of the both), you could be onto a winner.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
ghostyjack
Guru

Seeing as when you store the epub in the FF profile, you seem to unzip it and store it uncompressed, could you analyse the content at the time of adding it to the epub library and then store the result somehow (as an index maybe)?

It may mean the initial load into EpubReader is a bit slower but if you have already analysed it, the next time you load the book, you could just refer to the save analysis data to provide the basis of the book progress.

I'm not a programmer (I only understand a few languages at a basic level and haven't done any programming for about 10 years), so I could be wrong about this.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader

Quote:
Seeing as when you store the epub in the FF profile, you seem to unzip it and store it uncompressed, could you analyse the content at the time of adding it to the epub library and then store the result somehow (as an index maybe)?
Yes, something like this was my initial idea. But I think, the idea of theducks sounds very interesting, because it's much easier to implement and will nevertheless probably deliver good (enough) results. Even if the method you described would be used, the progress calculation would still be a guess.