Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #61
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
'Karma' would be a useful guide if judiciously awarded and honestly earned. But how the heck do mods police that?

Right now, I place more weight on posting figures and much more on what I read than I do on karma points or the number of posts a member had clocked up.

Swapping karma seems to be a clique thing, so often insincere and unreliable as to be all but worthless.

I feel mt own count (whatever it may be -- I seldom check and don't know how to discover by whom it's given) would be honestly merited, but I wouldn't mind if it was reduced to zero.

What I would like to see, though, is some simple means of registering both approval of a post (no matter whether or not it is against your own stance, it's considered opinion that counts) and disapproval when a post is specious or insulting to a member. Again, though, who could organise that? I don't think the current forum software would easily enable that kind of option. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #62
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If giving Karma to friends in the lounge thread when they are feeling sick, make you laugh when you are feeling bad, post something down right silly, or something along those lines is cliquish then I am guilty.

I have taken a look through my Karma pages (22 so far) about 1/2 the Karma is from one topic and the rest are from substantive posts about e-readers.

I see no reason for mods to be following why people give Karma.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #63
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I'm not too worried by the possibility of karma glitches or sinister collusions between heavy karma-passers and sock puppets, but if we're dealing with a hacker then I have some serious concerns about site security.

If someone has enough database access to fiddle with karma, they may also have access to passwords, past posts, and admin functions. I hope the site admins will let us know as soon as they've figured out what's going on.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #64
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
I'm not too worried by the possibility of karma glitches or sinister collusions between heavy karma-passers and sock puppets, but if we're dealing with a hacker then I have some serious concerns about site security.

If someone has enough database access to fiddle with karma, they may also have access to passwords, past posts, and admin functions. I hope the site admins will let us know as soon as they've figured out what's going on.
I'm sure no-one's hacking the site to fiddle with Karma. The zeros is just some of the members having fun with the amount of Karma assigned.

Newbies with large amounts of Karma? Well, it might be karma swapping, or it might just be that one post gets a landslide of karma.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #65
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the first time in my membership here, I've run out of Karma to give. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to give out any more.
Advert
Old 08-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #66
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I've seen a few users lately, with extremely low post counts, and high karma ratings. I remember one person had 9 posts, all of them were like "lol" or an emoticon (I think the longest one was "that's so funny!"), and they had 50,000 karma points.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #67
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
For one thing it's possible someone has found a way to game or hack the system. If so, it's a potentially serious security issue. Also, if true, it offends my sense of right and wrong.
A small(er) group of users did sort of hack the system back from 1-2 years ago, by keep giving each other karma. IMHO it devalued the system considerably, and karma doesn't have any value.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #68
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
A small(er) group of users did sort of hack the system back from 1-2 years ago, by keep giving each other karma. IMHO it devalued the system considerably, and karma doesn't have any value.
I think everyone is aware that karma does not mean anything. It was fun reading the fortunes associated with Karma as it climbed but that is about all that it was. It is a nice way to let folks know you like a post or give someone a boost when they are having a bad day.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #69
gwhite
Connoisseur
gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwhite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Paperwhite
I'm so glad I clicked on this thread as now I know what "Karma" is and I've just found out that I've got some. Have to admit that I'm not sure why though having just stumbled into this forum.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
I'm so glad I clicked on this thread as now I know what "Karma" is and I've just found out that I've got some. Have to admit that I'm not sure why though having just stumbled into this forum.
If you go to your User CP, and scroll down, you'll see a list of people who've given you Karma, and links to the posts for which they gave you the Karma. Click on their name in the list, and you can send them a thank-you message.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #71
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have given what little I have out to a few people because I'm aware it's one of the ways people give "props" for a helpful or well-worded post, but I haven't worried about accumulating it.

I view it rather like real-world fame. Don't have it? Doesn't matter. It doesn't mean you're incapable of making a salient point. Do have it? Congratulations. But it doesn't say anything about you as a person, other than the fact that you have attracted attention.

No offense meant to those who have a lot of karma, of course!
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #72
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
I am new-ish to MR but I have now come up with my own criteria for doling out karma.

Basically under 3 conditions for:

- posts that I find extremely helpful or those that bring me up to speed on stuff I didn't know about;
- posts that I find extremely "cool" [mostly interesting images]
- whenever I spit liquids out of mouth and onto my keyboard/screen

That last one happens quite a lot in the MR Llama Lounge...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #73
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibble View Post
I have given what little I have out to a few people because I'm aware it's one of the ways people give "props" for a helpful or well-worded post, but I haven't worried about accumulating it.

I view it rather like real-world fame. Don't have it? Doesn't matter. It doesn't mean you're incapable of making a salient point. Do have it? Congratulations. But it doesn't say anything about you as a person, other than the fact that you have attracted attention.

No offense meant to those who have a lot of karma, of course!
Agreed. It means little to nothing but it is always nice to know that people like what you are typing.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #74
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Karma and registry dates are two things that truly annoy me in web forums: "Haha, shut up n00b!" said clueless teen to newly-registered senior guru. Only thing more annoying is "likes" and "dislikes" actually disrupting discussions by hiding dissonant opinions -- a hallmark of Idiocracy.

I miss unmoderated usenet with true free speech and yet good options for privacy: you don't like the tone of a user, you killfile him so his posts don't reach you again, yet they were available for others.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #75
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some of us have been trying to figure out why the amount of karma we give doesn't always add up. 0+2=1 (karma to anyone getting that reference).

@pdurrant: lol. It's just nice to see whom one has helped with a post. That's all karma is to me.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote