Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM   #46
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Also available at Internet Archive is the BBC Radio adaptation of The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It's an 8-part radio drama that originally aired between 06 May and 24 Jun 1973. Each episode is about an hour long and you can download the files from Internet Archive.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #47
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Just got through listening to Richard Diamond, Private Detective (1949-53); complete with original commercials. What a kick those ads are. The sponsor for the 1951 episodes was Camel cigarettes and they were so proud that they were helping our wounded vets and servicemen by sending free cigarettes to various hospitals for them to enjoy ...LOL. And I love the surveys conducted with doctors to find out which brand they preferred to smoke.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #48
Konakathie
Konakathie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
LOVED that LOTR. "adaptation". Heard it as a preteen and it hooked me for good, even on OTR.
Konakathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #49
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Also available at Internet Archive is the BBC Radio adaptation of The Foundation Trilogy by Isaac Asimov. It's an 8-part radio drama that originally aired between 06 May and 24 Jun 1973. Each episode is about an hour long and you can download the files from Internet Archive.
I'm going to try this one, but I recall trying it once before, and I couldn't stand to listen to so much loud, annoying background noise.

ApK

EDIT: Yup, this is the one. Worst. Audio. Engineering. Ever.
Or maybe it's the only surviving copy of someone's home cassette dub from broadcast.

Last edited by ApK; 05-03-2013 at 09:08 AM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #50
montmorency
montmorency began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another big fan of BBC Radio 4 and Radio 4 Extra here

I grew up listening to radio, as we didn't have a television until I was a teenager, and I still really prefer radio.

For anyone who understands German, the Germans also have a good tradition of radio dramas (Hörspiele), and they took to audiobooks (Hörbücher) with great enthusiasm.

WDR have a fantastic range of podcasts (not so much drama, though there is some), but a fantastic amount of speech radio of various kinds. I think NDR may have more drama.

The Beeb are not so generous with their podcasts, although there are some available.

By the way, I find the easiest way of finding programmes (I'm using a laptop at home, rather than a properly mobile device) is to go to the appropriate website e.g. bbc.co.uk/radio4 (or radio4extra) then click on the schedule link, and browse my way through the schedule until I come to a programme I like, and click on the "listen now" link (if there is one). Usually you only have 7 days to listen (though there are lots of repeats on Radio4extra), but it's occasionally more with some programmes.

I'm also a big fan of audiobooks, especially German ones (I use them as a way of improving my German, as well as for pleasure). I probably enjoy them because I grew up listening to a lot of radio, and it's a similar experience. I can listen for hours at a time without getting distracted.

BTW, if you like classical music, try BBC Radio 3.
montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #51
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My own initial introduction to the theater of the mind was through CBS Radio Mystery Theater with E.G. Marshall as the host. Later Tammy Grimes took over as host but no one could top E.G. Marshall as the host of the program I think. That's how I came to find Mystery Shows at MysteryShows.com in the 1st place. They had the episodes all onsite.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 AM   #52
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I agree about E. G. Marshall as host of "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater." He was excellent in the role of host, and he gave a great performance as Scrooge on "A Christmas Carol" (as far as I know that is the only time he performed as an actor on the show).

"The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" was the first time I'd been introduced to radio programs and I enjoyed it so much that made a point to listen to each and every episode. This, in turn, led to other radio programs such as "Mutual Radio Theater" which featured a different genre each night. Although it didn't last as long as "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" they broadcast many excellent stories during their short run.

In a related note, I picked up a copy of an audio play of "Waiting For Godot" (from 1956) starring Bert Larh (as Estragon) and E. G. Marshall (as Vladimir). Both were excellent in the roles. Although some of the parts of the play are not covered since they wouldn't work as audio only (such as the rotating hat sequence), it's a solid version. In the 1970s I'd heard this on LP at my local library and I enjoyed the play, so I was very happy to finally be able to purchase a copy of my own when I discovered it on Amazon.com.

With the advent of podcasting, I've rediscovered the enjoyment of audio plays via old time radio shows and have come across many great programs. One I recently discovered is "The Mel Blanc Show" (yes, starring the man who is the voice of Bugs Bunny and many other great characters). It's a very entertaining show and a number of episodes are available as podcasts.

Some have mentioned BBC Audio as an excellent source of audio plays and I agree. I have their version of "The Hobbit" (featuring Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins) and it is a very good version.

Another company I'd recommend is GraphicAudio which as released some excellent audio plays. I've purchased two of their adaptions of DC Comics miniseries and they have been excellent, with large casts and very well done audio effects. As good as the original comics and novels have been, the GraphicAudio audio plays have been my favorites.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #53
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I agree about E. G. Marshall as host of "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater."
I loved CBSRMT so much I named my childhood dog "Marshall". :-)

If there are any rabid EG Marshall fans around I could upload some original contracts he signed earlier in his career. I also bought and scanned some original press releases for CBSRMT shows. I'm such a OTR/NTR dork.

Quote:
He was excellent in the role of host, and he gave a great performance as Scrooge on "A Christmas Carol" (as far as I know that is the only time he performed as an actor on the show).
He did several (can't remember how many from rote) but Carol was probably the most significant role. The rest of the time it seems like he pinch hit in small parts that wouldn't be enough to bring another actor in.

Quote:
This, in turn, led to other radio programs such as "Mutual Radio Theater" which featured a different genre each night. Although it didn't last as long as "The CBS Radio Mystery Theater" they broadcast many excellent stories during their short run.
Also check out General Mills Radio Adventure Theater (GMRAT) if you have kids around. It's like CBSRMT for the younger set. I don't remember if Himan Brown produced it, but the feel/structure is similar.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #54
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post

Also check out General Mills Radio Adventure Theater (GMRAT) if you have kids around. It's like CBSRMT for the younger set. I don't remember if Himan Brown produced it, but the feel/structure is similar.
Tom Bosley was the host of GMRAT and yes according to John Dunning's book "On The Air" Himan Brown not only produced it but directed it as well. Alas it only lasted about 1 year. It's online over at MysteryShows.com.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #55
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Tom Bosley was the host of GMRAT and yes according to John Dunning's book "On The Air" Himan Brown not only produced it but directed it as well. Alas it only lasted about 1 year. It's online over at MysteryShows.com.

My first exposure to radio drama was the WMCA Mystery Theater, which I suspect was the CBS show, but I'm not sure. I was young.

After that, I only had access to the occasional cassette collection of Golden Age stuff, and then the NPR Star Wars radio plays, then eventually we got XM Radio and spent a good deal of time on the Radio Classics channel.

Now you can't shake an Internet connection without hitting an old-time radio show.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:38 AM   #56
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post

Now you can't shake an Internet connection without hitting an old-time radio show.

ApK
Yeah, I know. Isn't it great! My dad bought a few cassettes of OTR programs when I was a kid, but he was never able to get hold of much of what exists. Now, thanks to the internet, you can find complete runs of some of the old shows. Some of the OTR programs are way better than the junk on TV now days I think. Kinda sad really, you would think that TV would be better, but everything seems to be a clone of another program now days.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #57
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, it is annoying that Amazon lump reviews of all the different versions of a product together.

I'm sure you're aware of this, but if you're a lover of radio drama, the BBC have a dedicated radio station: BBC Radio 4 Extra, which plays nothing but drama (and comedy) 24h a day, and it's all available world-wide via the BBC iPlayer web site, http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
hey, cool! thanks, works like a charm on Tunein webradio app for Android.

pretty economic too, in streams of just about 45kbps...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:58 AM   #58
montmorency
montmorency began at the beginning.

Device: none
Someone mentioned a BBC production of The Hobbit with Ian Holm. I wonder if they were thinking of the production of "The Lord of The Rings", from (I think) the 1980s? This was excellent and full of good actors like Holm, and one of my favourite radio actors, Jack May, who was also famous as the character "Nelson Gabriel" in the long running radio soap "The Archers", which is still running, although sadly Jack has now passed away. He was also a well respected stage actor. It was done completely straight, with no dumbing-down, which made it all the better. It's possible they also did a version of "The Hobbit" at about that time as well of course, although I may have missed it.

My introduction to the book of The Hobbit also came via the BBC, on a long running children's programme called "Children's Hour". This was back in the late 1950s, and it was read by one of their well-loved regulars David Davies. It wasn't a drama, but they introduced it with some very dramatic music - I think it might have been "Night on a bare mountain" by Mussorgsky - or if not that, then something equally dramatic, and it used to send chills down my spine, and I can still remember the feeling, if not the exact music, after all these years. Yes, 1950s; surprising isn't it? I don't look that old! :-)
montmorency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #59
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency View Post
Someone mentioned a BBC production of The Hobbit with Ian Holm. I wonder if they were thinking of the production of "The Lord of The Rings", from (I think) the 1980s? This was excellent and full of good actors like Holm, and one of my favourite radio actors, Jack May, who was also famous as the character "Nelson Gabriel" in the long running radio soap "The Archers", which is still running, although sadly Jack has now passed away. He was also a well respected stage actor. It was done completely straight, with no dumbing-down, which made it all the better. It's possible they also did a version of "The Hobbit" at about that time as well of course, although I may have missed it.

My introduction to the book of The Hobbit also came via the BBC, on a long running children's programme called "Children's Hour". This was back in the late 1950s, and it was read by one of their well-loved regulars David Davies. It wasn't a drama, but they introduced it with some very dramatic music - I think it might have been "Night on a bare mountain" by Mussorgsky - or if not that, then something equally dramatic, and it used to send chills down my spine, and I can still remember the feeling, if not the exact music, after all these years. Yes, 1950s; surprising isn't it? I don't look that old! :-)
I mentioned "The Hobbit" featuring Ian Holm. The version I have is from 1997 and was released by BBC Radio. Looking over the packaging, I discovered I was in error about Ian Holm appearing this version. It starred Paul Daneman as Bilbo Baggins. I apologize for the error.

This version is very good, features a full cast recording (featuring more than 30 performers) and is contained on four CDs (with a fifth disc that contains music from the audio play), and a map. Before hearing this, my only experience with "The Hobbit" was via the Rankin-Bass animated movie.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #60
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montmorency View Post

I think you mean "night on bald mountain." Disney used it in his movie Fantasia. It was the 2nd to last piece in the movie if I recall right. After it came Ava Maria.

Tags
audiobook, hobbit, lotr, radio dramas, tolkien