Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #46
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I actually don't experience the choice to be greater. With geo restrictions and lack of published books in my own language, I'm actually (more or less) restricted to english-language books that's available in Europe.

One thing that I have found that could lead to a feeling of being overwhelmed, is the option of starting reading a lot of books at the same time. Then you start to lose track of what you're reading. Before e-book readers, my reading was quite restricted by what was a available at the library and the 4-week loan period (which could be extended, but still...)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #47
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
... comes a need for new and better ways to manage it all, through searching, purchasing (or obtaining), storing, filing, referencing, and just plain enjoying.
Well said.

It's not that there are too many books. In our lifetime there have always been more pbooks than anyone could read, so there has been no change there. But our choice in reading material up to now always has been limited by accessability.

The abundance of texts/ebooks which are easily accessible now requires new ways organizing information to choose adequately and in accordance with ones preferences. But the technology that makes the material accessible provides the solutions for this at the same time.

So personally I do prefer the present state over the past one.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've tried books in e-form I wouldn't have otherwise (usually free or discounted new titles) but most of my paper purchases were 25 cent paperbacks or $1 hardcovers. I'd never pay more than a few bucks for an e-book. Therefore I am not overwhelmed, because I balance out my choices between my current paper library (which was already more than I could read in a lifetime), audiobooks from the library in my car, and ebooks. Reading for every occasion...

Scott
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbe Publishing View Post
Yes, the choices may be overwhelming, but forget about the forest and start looking at trees and pick something to read. If I don't like it, I move on.

I always need something to read. If a book, ebook, magazine, newspaper is not at hand I will actually read mail from my congressperson and the backs of cereal boxes. I don't feel any stress at all in the explosion of choices.
Before I got my first reader, I would sit having cereal for breakfast reading the cereal box. Now I can read my book while I eat breakfast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #50
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
The abundance of texts/ebooks which are easily accessible now requires new ways organizing information to choose adequately and in accordance with ones preferences. But the technology that makes the material accessible provides the solutions for this at the same time.
It does... but for some of us, the potential has not yet been realized. The many requests consumers have to allow shifting to different formats or platforms, more display choices, better file organizing ability, etc, are indications of areas where the tech is still falling short for some of us.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
are too many ebooks stealing the pleasure of reading?

nope!
Apple and the Agency 5 are taking the pleasure out of reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #52
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before I got my first reader, I would sit having cereal for breakfast reading the cereal box. Now I can read my book while I eat breakfast.
Hi Jon. I feel in a very similar way, being a compulsive reader since very young, with this new abundance I can read what I choose rather than what I find. Pbooks deteriorate fast if one has to take them out, put them away, find the page, bend them to read them single handed, while commuting for instance. And when I go in holidays or on a business trip of few days, the reader makes a big difference.

A difference that I noticed is that I have more books going on than before, and the reading is more dispersed, fragmented, and there are more books that go in hibernation before being finished. Is this better? worst? Who knows, it is different, it's a new way. I read more books, but I do not read more. I do not think that I will go back to the old pattern. So this is a part of the progress, like the petrol fumes in the streets. But who wants or can revert to horse carriages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Apple and the Agency 5 are taking the pleasure out of reading.
I need clarification (not on Apple, please, I do not want to ignite an other religious war). What is Agency 5?

Ciao
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM   #53
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The problem with horse carriages is much the same as with horseless carriages: the exhaust.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #54
John Brewster
John Brewster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Lately I have been pondering the same dilemma. Made a conscious decision in January to read more books in 2010. Wanted to better keep up with the many books available, especially from the monthly Baen packages.

Have, in fact, read more books year-to-date than in prior years. Some of the additional book reading time came from less TV, a good thing. However, some came from neglecting other activities.

It’s a work in process.
John Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:34 AM   #55
Jux
Jux began at the beginning.

Device: Foxit eSlick
I have never been a big reader, but recently I have found some interest in reading. So I bought a e-reader and instantly have all the books in the world. I also feel that rush when reading a book as described. It takes away the joy and that is very unfortunate. What is interesting, is that I have bought more paper books since I have owned e-reader. (Not that I prefer paper books more, but because of the rarity and because they are not available on e-format)
Jux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #56
legaleagll
legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.legaleagll has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS 505
Huh?

Not one to mince words. I thought this "editorial" was perhaps one of the stupidest posts I have ever read. Seriously, what kind of a person stresses out over which book to read next. Go get some therapy and deal with whatever underlying issues you have, because it sure ain't the many book options that are causing stress. That is like saying I am stressed out because I have too many flavors of ice cream or too many pizza toppings to choose from.

Give me a break...
legaleagll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #57
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
The problem with horse carriages is much the same as with horseless carriages: the exhaust.
Absolutely.

The ideal solution is mind travel. They tried it the sixties. They actually performed quite a number of trips with it.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #58
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagll View Post
Not one to mince words. I thought this "editorial" was perhaps one of the stupidest posts I have ever read. Seriously, what kind of a person stresses out over which book to read next. Go get some therapy and deal with whatever underlying issues you have, because it sure ain't the many book options that are causing stress. That is like saying I am stressed out because I have too many flavors of ice cream or too many pizza toppings to choose from.

Give me a break...
ditto
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #59
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Thumbs up

Quote:

Give me a break...

LOL amen brother lol. My biggest issue is what books are NOT currently available for my libra pro e reader. My suggestion was he volunteer for Dr Drew new show E book reader rehab!
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #60
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

Give me a break...
Ouch, harsh. I'm not stressing about any of what the editorial covered, but we've all got different temperaments and quirks. I'm sure I've got ones that would seem incomprehensible to others and vice versa. Like it bugs me that I can't find spellcheck in this forum, lol. Where, oh where, is it?
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote