Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Backing up calibre - what does it save?

If my PC needs to be reformatted ( as it freezes a lot on starting ) ... What is saved in my backed up to external calibre folder?
Only I am slowly figuring out columns and genres. Its taking me ages and I should hate to lose them!
Its bad enough in picasa where I lose all my thumbnails

Last edited by book64; 02-24-2013 at 07:12 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Columns and genres are saved. I think some gui-settings and preferences may not be saved. Also plugboard and save templates are not saved.

But if you like to you could easily save all that as well.

Read more here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....o-i-backup-app
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Why don't you clone your current drive to the new drive?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by book64 View Post
If my PC needs to be reformatted ( as it freezes a lot on starting ) ... What is saved in my backed up to external calibre folder?
Only I am slowly figuring out columns and genres. Its taking me ages and I should hate to lose them!
2 Places in their entirety (Single Library )

1) The entire Library folder (the one that contains Metadata.db)

2) the Calibre Configuration Folder (to find: Preference: Miscel...: click the button at the bottom)

That is it:

When you get you new
I like to Install Calibre first (Just accept the generic stuff, it will be replaced)
Locate where the New Configuration directory is (may change due to OS or Username changes)
Quit Calibre fully (Ctrl-Q)
system up:

(Replace if your original used the default name) Place the OLD Library FOLDER.
Start Calibre: don't panic: If the Library path has changed, you need to point Calibre at the new location. Right click The Library Icon: Create/Switch: Use Existing: <browse to location>

That does it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Columns and genres are saved. I think some gui-settings and preferences may not be saved. Also plugboard and save templates are not saved.

But if you like to you could easily save all that as well.

Read more here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....o-i-backup-app
Thanks But dont understand that
Advert
Old 02-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Why don't you clone your current drive to the new drive?
Apache
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
2 Places in their entirety (Single Library )

1) The entire Library folder (the one that contains Metadata.db)

2) the Calibre Configuration Folder (to find: Preference: Miscel...: click the button at the bottom)

That is it:

When you get you new
I like to Install Calibre first (Just accept the generic stuff, it will be replaced)
Locate where the New Configuration directory is (may change due to OS or Username changes)
Quit Calibre fully (Ctrl-Q)
system up:

(Replace if your original used the default name) Place the OLD Library FOLDER.
Start Calibre: don't panic: If the Library path has changed, you need to point Calibre at the new location. Right click The Library Icon: Create/Switch: Use Existing: <browse to location>

That does it
Hello Yes it's me you are helping again lol
You make it seem so simple

Is it "Open Calibre Configuration Directory" I click on?
This brings up Appdata roamng calibre?
Do I save that folder?

Also "Locate where the New Configuration directory is" ... then what do I do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	config.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	101879  
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hello Yes it's me you are helping again lol
You make it seem so simple

Is it "Open Calibre Configuration Directory" I click on?
This brings up Appdata roamng calibre?
Do I save that folder?

Also "Locate where the New Configuration directory is" ... then what do I do?
Yes the FOLDER (you are currently Inside that folder) Use the Up folder arrow on the Explorer toolbar .

On the New system, you are going to REPLACE the folder (Aagin, go Up so you see the FOLDER, delete it and copy the saved one there (replaces,you don't want to merge or you may get conflicts)
Old 02-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
book64
Love reading

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Yes the FOLDER (you are currently Inside that folder) Use the Up folder arrow on the Explorer toolbar .

On the New system, you are going to REPLACE the folder (Aagin, go Up so you see the FOLDER, delete it and copy the saved one there (replaces,you don't want to merge or you may get conflicts)

Thanks very much

Now if only I could do that with Picasa
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Which OS are you using?

If it is Windows XP, you can do a repair install or upgrade to Windows 7.

If it's Windows 7, you can edit the registry to tell Windows that it is an earlier version and then do an upgrade. Look via Google and you'll find out how to do that. Look for downgrading Windows 7 Ultimate.

If it is Windows Vista, upgrade to Windows 7.

I cannot say that this will definitely work, but it is something to try after you've backup what you need to backup as if you were starting over.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-24-2013 at 01:13 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
If you are replacing your existing drive with another you can clone the old drive onto the new drive. this makes an exact copy of the old drive. this saves you from having to reinstall all of your software, including the OS.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
If you are replacing your existing drive with another you can clone the old drive onto the new drive. this makes an exact copy of the old drive. this saves you from having to reinstall all of your software, including the OS.
Apache
The original reason was to reformat: (We will assume that) Windows has become damaged (Malware/Virus/bad luck). Cloning preserves the damage. Cloning is good for saving a 'about to fail, but has not...yet) drive. It is also used to put testbed systems back to a know state after an experiment went south.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #13
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Apache
That's fine if the problem was elderly hardware. But if it was with the software installation, you'll be preserving the problem.

Install a NEW hard drive in your computer. Retain the old drive alongside it - mounted internally if a desktop, in a USB enclosure if a laptop. Install a fresh operating system. Reinstall your programs. Copy across all data.

But don't you have all your data backed up somewhere already?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote