Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Stopping running apps

how do you stop from running when you stop using it? If I just go home it still keeps running in the background how do I stop it?
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by msxman View Post
how do you stop from running when you stop using it? If I just go home it still keeps running in the background how do I stop it?
------------------------------------------

You usually need to use the <-- button on the Vox to fully 'back-out' of the app and to then drop to your central Vox desktop. If you only use the 'back-out' 'soft button' within the app's U.I. display, that can often keep the program at its opening screen, and resident in memory.

You can also use a downloadable app Task Killer/App Killer to forcefully remove a resident app. Be aware though that some of the 'bloat' software that comes on the Vox re-affirms itself on, and on, during your usage. They seem to re initialize in the background if you have the auto-update icon on the wizard 'lit up'. You will find that icon on the far left screen of your desktop. Keep swiping your finger from left to right to make the farthest desktop page appear into view. The same goes for what you have lurking on the far right, lol!

I hope this helps,
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 01:57 PM   #3
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
While the "back" button will back out of most apps, all it does in my browser is go back through all the pages I've visited.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
While the "back" button will back out of most apps, all it does in my browser is go back through all the pages I've visited.
---------------------------------------

If you keep pressing it, you will eventually drop back to the central Desktop. That has been my user experience, oldyellr. This is my first android tech, and I really miss the/a way to just remove an app out of memory, even if it has still reference in the memory stack. So far..I use the back out method, and then use an app kill for good measure. I also have the app kill app... 'auto-kill' non relevant loaded-in memory apps about every ten minutes. I find this keeps the Vox percolating on what I WANT to have opened!
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I don't know what browser you are using, but the back button backs me out of the browser really nicely with Dolphin HD and its tab settings.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't know what browser you are using, but the back button backs me out of the browser really nicely with Dolphin HD and its tab settings.
I'm using the browser that comes on the Vox and doesn't have it's own back button (that I've noticed). I use the "back" button on the Vox itself. I'm really not interested in loading it up with other browsers, at least not until there's Firefox for the Vox. FireVox?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Firefox for Android is called Fennec. You can download it here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android

FWIW, it doesn't seem all that well regarded.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Firefox for Android is called Fennec. You can download it here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Platforms/Android

FWIW, it doesn't seem all that well regarded.
---------------------------------

Why is that, Taming? I use Firefox 8.x on my laptop and like its speed. I have never used Google's Chrome to date. Have you had any experience to compare the two? Listening ears....
Old 12-13-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
Why is that, Taming? I use Firefox 8.x on my laptop and like its speed. I have never used Google's Chrome to date. Have you had any experience to compare the two? Listening ears....
If I had to guess, my guess would be that they have not prioritized development for the mobile environment. At least not yet. I use Chrome these days on my desktop. It's a matter of personal choice <shrug>.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
oldyellr
Evangelist

Thanks for the info on Fennec! However, for the limited amount of browsing I do on the Vox, I won't bother. I'd even use Internet Extorter in a pinch if that's what came with the Vox. For me, this device is basically an eReader with benefits.

For example, today my daily paper didn't arrive (turned out it was 6 hours late), so I called them to complain and was given the choice of one day credit or access to the full e-edition for the day. I took the latter and wasn't that impressed. It might have been better on a giant laptop I could read anywhere. But there was an option to "export to ereader", which I did. When I imported it into the Vox library, it was almost useless. Mobile devices are a pretty sorry way to read newspapers or watch movies.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
thanks you guys!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
You don't need to install other task managers to stop apps. Just go to the home screen, press menu, manage applications, list them and go to the one you want to stop and press force stop and confirm. Other task managers are a bit slicker in UI but they end up calling the same thing pretty much to kill the apps.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo vox, running apps