Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #31
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
  1. I'd like a design which feels strong, particularly of the screen. Screens are too fragile in my opinion. I'd be content with a D-pad similar to the ones in consoles which allows not 4, but 8 directions: the 4 extra buttons could be used for different things instead of navigation. Here is an example of what I envision:

2. I'd like support for many formats in the line of Pocketbook products. I'm quite sure that is the way to follow, many formats and font sizes for your choice, aside of being able to manage the content by yourself. In a particular note it would be interesting if the device supports .cbz and/or .cbr, for I would like a device with which I can read comics quite intensely. A strong PDF support becomes critical at screen sizes like the one I'm suggesting.
  3. Specifications: Touch screen (it is a must for note taking and highlighting); 9 inches, for a proper PDF reading experience; a decent processor, 533 Mhz or more, and a bucket of RAM, a minimum of 128 MB, which doesn't leave you stuck. Please NO MP3 support: the money you spent in getting the licence and building an audio jack is better spent somewhere else. SD-HC or microSD-HC support is necessary as well.
  4. Colors: whatever, but please a red version
  5. Other: I love the open-source concept as a matter of conviction in its possibilities, so I envision every reader I buy to be open source. I can't program anything myself, but the fact that it's possible to do so is a plus for me.

I'm ready to bring about 400 euro to buy such a marvel. Another thing is that I can do it in a short term
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #32
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
1. Appearance.
To be honest - I don't care much about design of the device. But please don't make it red like some PRS-505.

2. Functions.
a) for a black and white reading device- current Onyx Boox 60 set of functions is almost OK, adding to that:
- better dictionary usability and speed (for example a key for opening it),
- ability to change font in any format,
- ability to set space between of paragraphs (it should be 0 but isn't in some files - I want to have the ability to set it to 0) - maybe there should be an option in menu to go to more advanced configuration with things like paragraph and font setting,
- ability to flip pages in PDF without any lines from previous page on the next one (but detecting when a line of text is on the border and then showing it whole on the next page would be very useful),
- longer time without charging,
- music player with flac support and good signal to noise ratio in the device digital to analog converter.
b) for a color one - preferable dual boot with two system - one similar to Onyx Boox one (for reading) and one fully fledged system like Ubuntu Netbook Remix or Android. I don't see any reason to make colour reading device that isn't additionally a tablet like iPad.

3. Specifications.
- USB port could be useful (for external keyboard for example)
- Size: 6'' for black and white, 10'' for colour. Screen: e-ink/sipix for black and white, pixel qi/mirasol/liquivista for color

4. Colors.
Colors of screen - black and white for reading device, colour if it's also a tablet (Pixel Qi preferable or something like Liquivista/Mirasol).
Colors of the device - don't care, but preferably light (white or light gray) because I read once that black bevel is worse for your eyes.

5. Other.
Not violating GPL or any other licence.

6. Price
- max. 250 euro (with VAT) for a black-white e-ink device like Onyx Boox.
- max. 125 euro for a simple 6'' reading device (without wifi, stylus, dictionary etc.),
- max. 400-500 euro for a colour A5 (10'') device (depending on specification),

Last edited by Magnesus; 04-01-2010 at 05:24 AM.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:11 AM   #33
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
But please don't make it red like some PRS-505.
Those are the thoughts of an EVILDOER!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 AM   #34
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
[LIST=1][*]I'd like a design which feels strong, particularly of the screen. Screens are too fragile in my opinion. I'd be content with a D-pad similar to the ones in consoles which allows not 4, but 8 directions: the 4 extra buttons could be used for different things instead of navigation. (

No, NO, NNNNOOOOO

Do NOT accept any type of these stupid D pads. I won't buy any reader that depends on a d pad for next page/previous page. I currently have a cybook gen3, and I won't buy anything like it again.

Instead, seriously, do what Xenophon says and buy one of the ebookwise units (I have an old Rocket which has the same ergonomics.) While the weight is a bit high, the shape is very comfortable to hold in any position I want. And, if you keep that shape, think about allowing it to be filled by a replaceable battery to back up the standard flat rechargeable ones. I should be able to change a couple of AA or AAA batteries, and keep reading instead of waiting hours for it to re-charge. Even if the standard battery lasts weeks, it is inevitable that it will run out in the middle of my book.

As long as you use one of the industry standard screens, and don't make the contrast any worse than current readers, the ergonomics of holding and using the device are critical. Comfortable shape, comfortable reach for buttons in any orientation, and fast switch or recharge of batteries.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #35
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
1. Durability - I carry my ereader everywhere and subject it to a lot of abuse. I currently have the sony prs-505 (sturdy) and have been looking at the pocketbook 360 (integrated cover).

2. Light/backlight. I didn't realize it when I bought my current reader, but the integrated lightwedge is a huge plus (although many people don't like them). The lightwedge is sensitive to scratches. When sony discontinued the model, I bought 2 more wedges so I would always have one. I'm actually considering buying another reader, (same make and model), because it's the only model with a light wedge.

3. Small footprint. I want the device as small and thin as possible. I regularly carry it in my back pocket.

4. At least 5+ different font sizes. The 3 I have now are not enough. Font sizes seem to vary from book to book, so I need to adjust for each book.

5. Cheap. I don't want to spend more than $200 for a reader. I would love a kindle DX for reading at home, but at $450+ there is no way I will buy one.

6. A dictionary. Other features are nice, but not essential.

Last edited by Angst; 04-06-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #36
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darqref View Post
No, NO, NNNNOOOOO

Do NOT accept any type of these stupid D pads. I won't buy any reader that depends on a d pad for next page/previous page.
I would not want a reader with anything else. My first years of ebook reading were on a Handspring PDA-- reading consisted of holding the PDA with my left hand, thumb positioned over the up/down buttons for page changes. My Sony Reader has a d-pad in the same position, can be used the same way-- it is the simplest thing in the world to hold and navigate.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #37
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
Please list these features like below:
1. appearance: Something sleek.
2. Functions: The more formats it supports the better. HCSD card compatibility.
3. Specifications: 7 inches, not too big, but not too small either. If there's no touch pad than clearly labeled buttons for turning pages, I think on the side.
4. Colors: White with skins so people can have whatever color or even pictures.
5. other: A sturdy cover to protect it. Even if it's something you have to buy separately.

Cost? Well somewhere between $250 or $400?
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #38
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
These features combine to guarantee that the next-page button is ALWAYS well-placed, no matter how the user chooses to hold the device! ... This ergonomics issue is a HUGE BIG DEAL!
This is a very good point. Even a lightweight device like my PRS505 can be fatiguing to hold for long periods if I don't place it properly in my hand. Ideally, you want to hold the device so that its centre of gravity is over your fingers and the thumb is left free to operate the page-turn buttons rather than having to counter-balance the weight of the top-half. In general this means page-turn buttons placed fairly high up on the side (the 505's side buttons are really a bit too low for me). Holding ereaders by the big 'chin' that most have at the bottom is not comfortable for long periods - I always try to hold mine by the side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing many people leave out when designing a reader is something that is very important and NONE of the readers have....

What we really need big time is PROPER HYPHENATION SUPPORT so fully justified text looks good.

Without it, you are no better then the other guy.
Yes!!! Provide fully-justified text with automatic hyphenation and you will be unique among portable ereaders, not even the iPad can do this (a great disappointment). This would be a big selling point for me. Hyphenation rules vary by language, so doing it right might mean restricting support to a limited set of languages, but TBH I only read books in English .

Other things I'd like:
  • User-modifiable css for epubs as Jellby mentioned (epub support is mandatory, obviously). You can offer a few options for changing things through a UI, but it's actually far easier for more advanced users to be able to change the default css directly. If users want to change fonts, let them load in their own ones, this saves you the hassle of worrying about licensing.
  • The option to remove all the fluff from the display - no status bar, no battery indicator, no page count, just the text.
  • A screen surface that's flush with the bezel. This might be a bit more expensive to engineer, but it does make the device easier to keep clean. Not a big issue though.

As far as size goes, for single-column reflowed text the current 6" devices like the 505 are just about perfect.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #39
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
For my perfect device...

Start with the Sony PRS-900 then add the following...
  • A reading queue that you could add books to and sort.
  • A way to mark books as read/unread.
  • Collection management on the reader itself. (Creating, adding to and removing from, sorting, deleting). Without having to use external software.
  • A way to view the book details (cover, author, publication date, etc), without having to be reading the book.
  • More info in the details - tags, length, synopsis
  • Be able to specify the info shown in various view, for example the title, author, and length. Or cover, author, and tags.
  • A clock display.
  • Automated periodical and RSS feed subscription delivery.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote