Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
carpii
Enthusiast
carpii began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or Sony
Reconvert lrf to lrf

Is there a way I can reconvert an lrf book.
I want it in lrf format, but I want to repaginate it using my own font and margin settings

Thanks
carpii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
search for lrftools or use lrf2lrs + lrs2lrf from calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
search for lrftools or use lrf2lrs + lrs2lrf from calibre

is the LRF2LRS a command line tool? if so what do we type in? And what directory do we need to be in? Or is all this information in the manual?
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Command line

lrf2lrs myfile.lrf

lrs2lrf myfile.lrs
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Command line

lrf2lrs myfile.lrf

lrs2lrf myfile.lrs
thanks! this helps a lot. Are you able to change font size using this tool?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
thanks! this helps a lot. Are you able to change font size using this tool?
lrf2lrs creates an LRS file, which is in xml format--that is, you can edit it using a text editor. If you are reasonably confident with xml it is possible to manually edit the xml to change margins and font sizes. You can then use lrs2lrf to convert your edited LRS file back to LRF.

There a number of tools like lrftools which do something similar automatically. They tend to use lrf2lrs and lrs2lrf under the covers. Because they did not do exactly what I wanted I ended up programming my own--this is just a question of writing some code to tweak the xml before calling lrs2lrf to convert back to an LRF.

One thing to note--lrs2lrf is not perfect. The resulting LRF is not exactly the same as the original LRF, even if you do not make any changes to the intermediate LRS file. For example, any page headers are lost by lrs2lrf.

Last edited by ShellShock; 12-30-2008 at 04:30 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
lrf2lrs creates an LRS file, which is in xml format--that is, you can edit it using a text editor. If you are reasonably confident with xml it is possible to manually edit the xml to change margins and font sizes. You can then use lrs2lrf to convert your edited LRS file back to LRF.

There a number of tools like lrftools which do something similar automatically. They tend to use lrf2lrs and lrs2lrf under the covers. Because they did not do exactly what I wanted I ended up programming my own--this is just a question of writing some code to tweak the xml before calling lrs2lrf to convert back to an LRF.

One thing to note--lrs2lrf is not perfect. The resulting LRF is not exactly the same as the original LRF, even if you do not make any changes to the intermediate LRS file. For example, any page headers are lost by lrs2lrf.
thanks for the warning about page headers. I'm beginning to think it'll just be easier to re-create the LRF file with the PRC copy I have. Except I can't get the PRC file to open in Book Designer in order to fix things (like removing the crap cover they inserted) And when I try converting in Calibre I end up with both covers. Except one is super tiny for some reason.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
thanks for the warning about page headers. I'm beginning to think it'll just be easier to re-create the LRF file with the PRC copy I have. Except I can't get the PRC file to open in Book Designer in order to fix things (like removing the crap cover they inserted) And when I try converting in Calibre I end up with both covers. Except one is super tiny for some reason.
Use mobi2oeb to convert the PRC to HTML and then load the HTML into Book Designer and format/edit from there.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Use mobi2oeb to convert the PRC to HTML and then load the HTML into Book Designer and format/edit from there.
Is this in Calibre or a seperate tool?

Thanks so much for helping!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard

I think I spoke too soon. I'm in my c directory in the command prompt window but the commands aren't doing anything. I get a message saying command is not recognized.

So where exactly do I run this command line thing at???? I'm not a programmer. And the tutorial doesn't say.

edit: figured it out! apparently I had a typo that made the line not work.

Last edited by Amalthia; 12-30-2008 at 11:36 PM.