Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
Jackorama
Jackorama began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo vox
Question Noob needs help picking some apps.

Hi, I have been using my Kobo Vox mostly for reading and would like to do more with my Vox. My Vox is not rooted. I am a noob when it comes to apps (my cell phone so old it doesn't even have apps ).

Yesterday I watched a couple of Youtube 30 min. video with the Youtube app and was impressed. A couple of small stutters, but nothing that took away from the viewing experience. I would like to watch video from TV networks websites, but the browser doesn't support flash. Is there a browser that does support flash and works well with the Vox?

Next, I was looking into VLC Player since I use it on my computer for all my video and music. All I could find was more of a VLC streaming app. I just want to view from a micro SD card. Is there a good app that works like VLC Player that works well with the Vox?

I then looked into AV's, because I read somewhere if you are going on-line you need to be protected. There were so many that I am at a loss for what will work with the Vox without slowing it down. Any recommendations?

And last, If I am using these I guess I should have a decent file manager. Any recommendations for a file manager app?

I have been looking on Google Play since that is the app on the Vox. Can you get apps from other locations too that work on the Vox?

I guess a lot of my problem is when choosing apps there is so many that it becomes over whelming. User reviews seem all over the place because one app is being used on many devices.

Thank you and any help is greatly appreciated.

Jackorama
Jackorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackorama View Post
I would like to watch video from TV networks websites, but the browser doesn't support flash. Is there a browser that does support flash and works well with the Vox?
Opera Mobile supports Flash, and works well on the Vox. I think the browser that ships on the Vox supports Flash as well, but you will need to download the Flash plugin (which is getting harder to find these days).

Quote:
All I could find was more of a VLC streaming app. I just want to view from a micro SD card. Is there a good app that works like VLC Player that works well with the Vox?
You should be able to view videos using the Gallery app that ships with your Vox. VLC is also available, but it was buggy the last time I tried it.

Quote:
I then looked into AV's, because I read somewhere if you are going on-line you need to be protected.
You shouldn't need anti-virus for your Vox. This is particularly true if you download your apps from trusted sources (e.g. Google Play).

Quote:
And last, If I am using these I guess I should have a decent file manager. Any recommendations for a file manager app?
I like ES File Explorer, other people seem to like ASTRO.

Quote:
I have been looking on Google Play since that is the app on the Vox. Can you get apps from other locations too that work on the Vox?
Yes, but it is best to stick to Google Play unless you understand permissions.

Quote:
I guess a lot of my problem is when choosing apps there is so many that it becomes over whelming. User reviews seem all over the place because one app is being used on many devices.
I typically look at positive and negative reviews, and try to figure out what is actually being said.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
For AV, Avast is a good free one.
You can get apps from the Goodereader app store, slideme, handago, aptoide but install your AV first...
Dolphin browser has a video add-in for watching shows.
An app that I really love (requires an inexpensive subscription) is DroidTV. It downloads your selection of TV shows to your tablet for offline viewing as soon as they become available. The selection of shows is quite extensive and you can choose as many as you want from several different networks all from the "tv guide menu" in the app. Works great on the Vox.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Jackorama

Thank you for the replies. This gives me a good start on the apps.

BWinmill: I downloaded flash a longtime ago, but it would not let me install it. Sorry, I can't remember the error message, but I figured it was because my Vox is not rooted. The download is still on the Vox.

Cdesja5: I never thought to check for Avast. I have set up Avast on my Dad's computer because it is so old and has so little ram and Avast works really great on it.

I may have missed it, but is there a thread on here (like a sticky) that would have the top basic apps for the Vox like the top good browsers, AV's, music and video players to start out with for us who are new to this. Like when computer message boards have threads about the top AV's of 2011, etc.?

Thank you again for the help, I now have some direction.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
For that sort of thing, try MobileRead's Android section (though just a warning that you might not find everything discussed there if Google automatically filters out everything it decides the Vox isn't capable of using - apps requiring later Android versions [Vox is 2.3 Gingerbread] or cameras or GPS or other such features the Vox doesn't have).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Jackorama

The Dolphin browser wouldn't install. Message about not being a compatible device. I have Opera Mobile install works good, but needs flash. I will try the flash, that I downloaded a while back that wouldn't install, later. If flash doesn't work, then it's only going to be the Youtube app to watch on line videos. I tried to get some apps from the tv stations websites (like Global TV, CBC, CTV,etc.) to watch their videos that way, but the apps are for iPod and iPad only. The only one you could use on other devices was CTV app, but you needed a mobile account with Bell.

I have installed ES File Explorer, but it doesn't recognize the external micro sd card. Movies, music and book apps can scan the external sd card and play them with no problems. SCViewer app can't see the external sd card, so I had to hook the Vox to my computer and move my comics over to the internal sd card to view them.

Added some games and they have been working well. The only thing I do notice is that my Vox takes a little longer to boot up.

The main purpose was getting more out of my Vox and I have achieved that.

Thank you to everyone who helped, I am having fun with my Vox.

Jackorama