Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 12:27 AM   #16
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Speaking of the developer.keystore file, does anybody have a comprehensive list of just what kindlet/user-made apps/games there are out there? I have found a few, but only after searching the net for quite a while. Thus far, the ones I have installed are as follows:

Endless Book of Sudoku

K3Chess

Kalc

KindleChineseChess

KindleVNC

Snakes

So if anybody else knows of more, feel free to add them. I think I will post a new thread on this topic, along with links the where to get the ones I know, so we all can benefit from one place to find them all. Perhaps even this site can be updated to include the list as well, not just the few already there: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128704 .
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Don't forget KIF - the text adventure game. Truly awesome piece of work.

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get the install to work. Thanks anyway, Thomas, for all your work, but I get a 'failure' when I try the shift L K launchpad command (I already had launchpad installed, and used it, so I don't think I used it incorrectly, and I did update the launchpad reader (shift shift space) before trying. I even got my name taken off the development list for someone just in case it was that.

I have got KIF working, using ADQ's install method for his developer.keystore, and that works, so I can use KIF, but I think if I installed the dev.key files for another program in the same way, then that one program would work too, but I just can't get this keystore to install. Highly tempted to give the usbhack a go, but will mull on it overnight and probably chicken out .

Thanks anyway,

Tamsyn

PS - Aaaand, Launchpad stopped working. Then I tried to fix it, and didn't. I think I have my answer though. If I can break Launchpad (not my shift key, I checked) I shudder to think of what I might do with usbnetwork access. No dice. My kindle is the teacher.
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanga View Post

I have got KIF working, using ADQ's install method for his developer.keystore, and that works, so I can use KIF, but I think if I installed the dev.key files for another program in the same way, then that one program would work too, but I just can't get this keystore to install. Highly tempted to give the usbhack a go, but will mull on it overnight and probably chicken out .
try after changing
Code:
###### Kindlet apps/games keystore
# backup the old one if exist:
if [ -f /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore ]
then
	cp /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp_orig
fi
# move the new one and keep a backup of it, just in case:
if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore ]
then
	cp /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /var/local/java/keystore/
	mv /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp
fi
exit
to
Code:
###### Kindlet apps/games keystore
# backup the old one if exist:
if [ -f /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore ]
then
	cp /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp_orig
fi
# move the new one and keep a backup of it, just in case:
if [ -f /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore ]
then
	cp -f /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /var/local/java/keystore/
	mv /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore.bkp
fi
exit
(line 10: since there is already one keystore file, you would need to force to replace it)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #19
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Okay, got Launchpad up and running again, but I'm afraid the Shift L K command still ends in failure. I have the developer.keystore file, and the two loadkeystore files in the launchpad folder. I can't see why this won't work, sorry to be such a pain. It would be truly awesome if I could get it to work, as all I have to do is run it whenever there's a developer keystore update.

Might have a go at inameiname's files and see what happens. Thanks!

Iname's files don't work either, even when I changed the ; in the keystore.ini file to ## to make sure it wasn't being misread by launchpad (because the shift K I wouldn't run). kif still works, so I'm thinking there are no changes being made to the keystore at all. There is no developer.keystore.backup file in the launchpad folder either, so that part of the script isn't running either.

Last edited by Tanga; 01-05-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Okay, got Launchpad up and running again, but I'm afraid the Shift L K command still ends in failure. I have the developer.keystore file, and the two loadkeystore files in the launchpad folder. I can't see why this won't work, sorry to be such a pain. It would be truly awesome if I could get it to work, as all I have to do is run it whenever there's a developer keystore update.

Might have a go at inameiname's files and see what happens. Thanks!

Iname's files don't work either, even when I changed the ; in the keystore.ini file to ## to make sure it wasn't being misread by launchpad (because the shift K I wouldn't run). kif still works, so I'm thinking there are no changes being made to the keystore at all. There is no developer.keystore.backup file in the launchpad folder either, so that part of the script isn't running either.
Hmmm, IDk why it isn't working for you. All my two Launchpad scripts do is to automate the process the thread creator first mentioned. Also, ";" to "##" shouldn't change anything either.

Just curious, but it sounds like when you copy the single developer.keystore key that works for kif, it works just fine, for kif, however, if you try the all-in-one developer.keystore key that is listed at the beginning of this thread, it doesn't. Would that not mean the key for kif just isn't included in the latest merged keystore keys, and needs to be added?
Advert
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Just curious, but it sounds like when you copy the single developer.keystore key that works for kif, it works just fine, for kif, however, if you try the all-in-one developer.keystore key that is listed at the beginning of this thread, it doesn't. Would that not mean the key for kif just isn't included in the latest merged keystore keys, and needs to be added?
Nah. Kif by Andrew De Quincey is signed with his ADQ key, which has been merged in the keystore.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
inameiname
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
Nah. Kif by Andrew De Quincey is signed with his ADQ key, which has been merged in the keystore.
Weird. So you are saying, when you add the developer.keystore that is specifically for kif, using the manual method mentioned in the first post, it works, but if you do the exact same thing with the merged developer.keystore, it doesn't work, even though the key for kif should be merged in the keystore? Again, strange.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
but I think if I installed the dev.key files for another program in the same way, then that one program would work too, but I just can't get this keystore to install.
You can't install two keystore files at the same time. That's why we need a merged keystore file. If you use update method to install a new one; in that case old one will be removed and related app wil no longer available. And to be able to use the update method the installer file should be in the form of update_*_*_install.bin. Also don't forget about the whitelist if you installed NiLuJe's jailbreak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inameiname View Post
Weird. So you are saying, when you add the developer.keystore that is specifically for kif, using the manual method mentioned in the first post, it works, but if you do the exact same thing with the merged developer.keystore, it doesn't work, even though the key for kif should be merged in the keystore? Again, strange.
He didn't say this. He only mentions about installing with the ADQ's way which is update method of the KindleOS. As far as I understood he couldn't install a new keystore after that.
Tanga: Am I correct?

Last edited by thomass; 01-06-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
Tanga
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
You can't install two keystore files at the same time. That's why we need a merged keystore file. If you use update method to install a new one; in that case old one will be removed and related app wil no longer available. And to be able to use the update method the installer file should be in the form of update_*_*_install.bin. Also don't forget about the whitelist if you installed NiLuJe's jailbreak.

He didn't say this. He only mentions about installing with the ADQ's way which is update method of the KindleOS. As far as I understood he couldn't install a new keystore after that.
Tanga: Am I correct?
Correctamundo! (except I'm a she ).

I don't have root access at all, nor usb hack installed. And, given my total lack of anything ressembling skills and an occasional burst of unfounded confidence where I think I know what I'm doing, I'd rather not.

I did forget about the whitelist, but since this isn't an update file would that make a difference?

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #25
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
(except I'm a she ).
Sorry for this

Quote:
I did forget about the whitelist, but since this isn't an update file would that make a difference?
if you want to use the update method, then this is needed.

But still I'm not sure what you are trying to do:
What exactly did you try to install? merged developer keystore? or another one? if it is the second one, could you give the url of this keystore?

Last edited by thomass; 01-06-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #26
Tanga
Zealot

I did exactly what you told me to do , at least I think I did:
Copied the developer.keystore file from this thread to the launchpad folder
Copied the two files you uploaded to the launchpad folder

Unplugged the kindle and pressed 'Shift Shift Space' to update the launchpad log file.
Pressed 'Shift L K' to run your script
Got the 'Failure' message from Launchpad.
Tried to play one of the games anyway just in case it had updated (snake and one other)
Nada, but KIF still works (this is why I think there were no changes)
There is no developer.keystore.backup file in launchpad either.

The above happens with all the different loadkeystore.sh files you posted here (including the latest).
I also tried Inameiname's method as well, and got the same (non) result.

I hope that's enough info. If you want to give up that's fine. This has probably wasted a lot of your time. It's just a shame. It would be good if non-hackers could also use all this beaut software.

I am looking into how to create an update file, but there doesn't seem to be any easy to follow steps for a noob like me. Though I think I may need the java runtime first.

EDIT: It seems that everything I need is here:
http://www.cowlark.com/kindle/getting-started.html
I'm just not sure how to use it.

Last edited by Tanga; 01-06-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Linky
Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #27
thomass
Wizard

Ok, don't worry about the time

let's try this:
Code:
mntroot rw
		mv -f  /mnt/us/launchpad/developer.keystore /var/local/java/keystore/developer.keystore
mntroot ro
try this with developer.keystore (not developer.keystore.txt)
if this works then developer.keystore in your launchpad folder should disappear.

EDIT: if this fails too, then before using these scripts use the uninstaller of the installed one.

Last edited by thomass; 01-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #28
Tanga
Zealot

Huh, interesting. Despite me getting a 'Failure' message, the developer.keystore file did disappear. The other programs still don't work though.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #29
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Huh, interesting. Despite me getting a 'Failure' message, the developer.keystore file did disappear. The other programs still don't work though.
restart the Kindle and try to open this apps again.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #30
thomass
Wizard

Tanga:
Quote:
I'm working from within windows.
Does this also means that you are using notepad to create this scripts?

if this is the case, most probably your problem is here.

Please try with notepad++ (this makes quite difference)