Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 02:18 AM   #1
xiquinho
xiquinho began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
where are user categories stored on calibre database?

I am trying to find where the user categories are stored on calibre database (metadata.db), but I don’t find any table or table_link where it might be. Am I looking on the wrong place? Thanks in advance.
xiquinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC, they are stored in the preferences table.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
To confirm: they are stored as a JSON-encoded string in preferences/user_categories. The structure is a dict of arrays of triples. The dict keys are the category names. Each triple is a category entry [db_id, column_key, unused].
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
xiquinho

Thanks for your replies. Could you please give me an idea how can I read/decode this JSON field? (I am trying to build a website to read calibre database, so far I didn’t found any problem to read the other tables/fields but I don’t have idea how to read this one.) Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiquinho View Post
Thanks for your replies. Could you please give me an idea how can I read/decode this JSON field? (I am trying to build a website to read calibre database, so far I didn’t found any problem to read the other tables/fields but I don’t have idea how to read this one.) Thanks again!
Select the val column from the row in the preferences table where the key column == "user_categories". Use the JSON decoder available in whatever language you are using to build your website to construct the JSON object from the value you retrieved.
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
xiquinho

Hi again! I am building this in VB and I was able to convert the JSON field to a XML file and from there read all the data originally stored on the JSON. I know this sound strange but it is exactly what I need. The part I don’t understand now is how to “relate” the data stored in the JSON field with the other tables. For example, I have a user category in JSON like this:
"Computers": [
[
"Adobe",
"tags",
]…etc
After the conversion, my XML file looks like this:
<Computers>
<Computers>Adobe</Computers>
<Computers>tags</Computers>
<Computers>10943</Computers>
</Computers>…etc
But in the table “tags” the Adobe tag have an id:
"9383","Adobe"
So, my question is: where does the value 10943 (stored in JSON) comes from? How can I make a relationship between the two values? (10943 and 9383). Is there a formula for this or something?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by xiquinho; 01-31-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Not sure what you are looking at. For me, the JSON of a user category looks like

{
"foo": [
[
"a...b...c",
"tags",
]
]
}

Where the first item in the triple is the value, the second item is the lookup key where it came from, and the third item is always 0.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
xiquinho

Well, my JSON is pretty different: the same for the 1st and 2nd items but the 3rd item always change, ex:
"Computers": [
[
"Adobe",
"tags",
],
[
"AI",
"tags",
],
[
"ASP.NET",
"tags",
],
[
"Assembly",
"tags",
],
[
"BSD",
"tags",
],
[
"C",
"tags",
],
[
"C#",
"tags",
],
[
"Google",
"tags",
],

But thanks, anyway! I understand now I can lookup for the tag id by the tag name, using the 1st and 2nd items only and ignoring the 3rd.

Hope you have a nice day!