Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #91
Hern
Hern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g/Wifi
Wonderful, thanks guys!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #92
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I don't think anyone questions the ethics of jail-breaking the device to replace the stock screensavers. It's the idea of buying a device at a discount in return for seeing ads, and then removing those ads, that strikes us as not playing fair. Especially since so many people, like myself, have chosen to pay the extra money for an ad-free device, and others, who bought the SO devices and found the ads annoying, have chosen to pay the one-time fee to have the ads removed.
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #93
Hern
Hern began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3g/Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't think anyone questions the ethics of jail-breaking the device to replace the stock screensavers. It's the idea of buying a device at a discount in return for seeing ads, and then removing those ads, that strikes us as not playing fair. Especially since so many people, like myself, have chosen to pay the extra money for an ad-free device, and others, who bought the SO devices and found the ads annoying, have chosen to pay the one-time fee to have the ads removed.
I totally agree. I do not mind the ad's, but I would like to see the screensavers too.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #94
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hern View Post
I totally agree. I do not mind the ad's, but I would like to see the screensavers too.
Once you've paid the fee, you can switch between display ads or not as will, as far as I understand things. That is, you can voluntarily see the ads and special offers, even if you paid full price for your Kindle.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:02 AM   #95
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Once you've paid the fee, you can switch between display ads or not as will, as far as I understand things. That is, you can voluntarily see the ads and special offers, even if you paid full price for your Kindle.
I find the ads more interesting to look at than the endless succession of the same dead authors. At least they change to something new every few days.
Advert
Old 12-30-2011, 11:36 AM   #96
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Indeed. I currently have the special offers turned on on my pre-KSO K3.

I can't say I'm crazy about the loss of a couple lines on the home screen, but the screen savers don't bother me at all.

I may turn it off again, and I like having that option, but I just got a free mp3 album through an offer, so now I'm thinking...hmmm...what will they give me next....

And I agree that disabling the ads on an SO discounted unit is pretty scummy. But it's nice that people brag about it. It's rare to get such an honest insight to the content of people's character.

ApK
Old 12-30-2011, 06:32 PM   #97
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: K2, K3-3G/WIFI
I did notice that Amazon is offering me the option of getting their special offers on my K3 3g/wifi for free.

Being that I also have my popup blocker enabled on my browser even though I continue to surf to websites with "Special Offers" in the form of popups I think I will pass on Amazon's offer.

don
Old 12-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #98
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Being that I also have my popup blocker enabled on my browser even though I continue to surf to websites with "Special Offers" in the form of popups I think I will pass on Amazon's offer.
I'm sorry, but what do pop-ups and pop-up blockers have to do with the Special Offers versions of the Kindles? Are you under the impression that they suddenly spring ads and special offers on you while you're trying to read? It doesn't work like that.

The ads are in the form of screen-savers (which you never have to look at if you don't want to) and a small banner at the bottom of the home page. That's it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-30-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #99
dmcounts
Enthusiast
dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dmcounts , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm sorry, but what do pop-ups and pop-up blockers have to do with the special offers on Kindles? Are you under the impression that they suddenly spring ads and special offers on you while you're trying to read? It doesn't work like that.

The ads are in the form of screen-savers (which you never have to look at if you don't want to) and a small banner at the bottom of the home page. That's it.
Seems the same as the popups that open a new window on your browser. You don't have to read them but I like to block them anyway.

don
Old 12-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #100
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Seems the same as the popups that open a new window on your browser. You don't have to read them but I like to block them anyway.
No, I'm afraid you're completely mistaken on that. Nothing ever "Pops up" on the Kindle. So there really isn't anything you would even have to ignore.

It's no skin off my back if you don't want it, but it just seems you're a little confused as to how the Special Offers work.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-30-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #101
dmcounts
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No, I'm afraid you're completely mistaken on that. Nothing ever "Pops up" on the Kindle. So there really isn't anything you would even have to ignore.

It's no skin off my back if you don't want it, but it just seems you're a little confused as to how the Special Offers work.
I have been known to be confused before on other issues, so perhaps you are correct.

don
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #102
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcounts View Post
I have been known to be confused before on other issues, so perhaps you are correct.

don
Full screen ads only show up when the Kindle is 'off', and the very small ads show up on the bottom of the home screen.

Ads do not show up in books at all. So it's literally only during times when it's 'off' or when you're just looking at the list of books.

It causes 0 effect on how you use the device.

Pop-Up Ads on the other hand cause you to stop using your current content and force you to deal with the ad before moving on.

Believe it or not the special offers actually save you money over time. I have them turned on for my KK, and I bought mine at full price.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #103
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
so all those that add the ads, why aren't you demanding a rebate on the price?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #104
Morpheus Phreak
Wielder of Hammers
Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Morpheus Phreak is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle Keyboard & Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
so all those that add the ads, why aren't you demanding a rebate on the price?
I see what you're trying to do there, and it won't work.

If you want to be a thief stop trying to justify it and call yourself what you are.

To answer the question...why would I demand a rebate? I can turn them on and off at will.

People who bought the KSO editions cannot. They have to pay the difference to get that option.

That's the difference. The KSO versions cost less because you don't have a handy option to just turn them on and off. If you pay the difference then you get the option. If you buy the device at full price you get the option.

So why should they give me a rebate for something I can just turn on and off?

I honestly don't think providing logic will work though. Criminals always have an excuse.

Last edited by Morpheus Phreak; 12-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #105
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
Full screen ads only show up when the Kindle is 'off', and the very small ads show up on the bottom of the home screen.

Ads do not show up in books at all. So it's literally only during times when it's 'off' or when you're just looking at the list of books.

It causes 0 effect on how you use the device.

Pop-Up Ads on the other hand cause you to stop using your current content and force you to deal with the ad before moving on.

Believe it or not the special offers actually save you money over time. I have them turned on for my KK, and I bought mine at full price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus Phreak View Post
<snip...>

To answer the question...why would I demand a rebate? I can turn them on and off at will.

People who bought the KSO editions cannot. They have to pay the difference to get that option.

That's the difference. The KSO versions cost less because you don't have a handy option to just turn them on and off. If you pay the difference then you get the option. If you buy the device at full price you get the option.

So why should they give me a rebate for something I can just turn on and off?

<snip...>
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

I too bought my K3 (KK) at full price, and turned on the ads shortly after the option became available. Doing so has allowed me to buy 2 novels that I really wanted for $2 instead of $16, and I got my very first audio book for free instead of the $28 it would cost now.

I was also able to turn them off for a day and then turn them back on, with no cost or ill effects.
Closed Thread