Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Cool Calibre on multiple PC's?

Is it possible to have a sync'd version of Calibre? I have a work PC, a home PC and a netbook. Would be nice to have a singled sync'd profile.

chaz
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can store your library on a networked drive, but results with that vary depending on network speed and the technology used for the network drive mapping. I've had success with sshfs on linux boxes and IIRC someone reported success using dropbox.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Thank you for the tip, will try that out!
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
jchestnutt
meow
jchestnutt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've been using Dropbox to house my calibre library with good results. They have clients for Windows, Mac, and Linux, and since I use calibre on all 3 OSes, it works well for me. I use a free account, since 2GB is more than enough for all my books and the other things I put there.

No affiliation with them, just a user.
jchestnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Another vote for dropbox. Works well for me.
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
NewVMan
NewVMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Thanks for the idea to use DropBox, it works extremely well.
NewVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I am also using Dropbox to sync Calibre between my home (Macbook) and work (XP box).

It works extremely well. I sometimes seem to confuse Dropbox when I add/delete/edit metadata though-I'll get a "Dropbox cannot sync..." error. Also, I've had a few instances in the past where Dropbox was having trouble with the metadata.db file-saying it was "in use" and couldn't be synced.

But overall, its a great way to have access to my library at all times, and as an added bonus, it means my library is saved in 4 places now (home, work, iPhone, and on dropbox's servers).
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I've had a few instances in the past where Dropbox was having trouble with the metadata.db file-saying it was "in use" and couldn't be synced.
I also use it to sync the book database and Calibre itself on my work and home machines.

If your running Calibre the metadata.db file will sync when you exit Calibre. The other thing I've run into is when installing a program (like Calibre) to the dropbox area I sometimes have to exit dropbox prior to the install otherwise during the install it tries and sync temp files and installs have problems.

It is a great solution for keeping my work and home machines sync'd up.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
How about using Unison?

Re: dropbox -- I don't care to have my data on servers I don't control.

I use Unison to sync my G4 PowerBook and my Linux desktop at work. Works great at keeping specified directories/files synced. Would that work for calibre, especially between platforms (OSX and Linux)? If so, what directories should be synced on each?
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
jimbob101
Connoisseur
jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jimbob101 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle App Android, Kindle PW2, Calibre
A little bit more complex but i havn;t had a problem with it yet. The instructions below were what i used to set it up

1. Library stored on my laptop (My primary Device) as Calibre Library in My Documents
2. Copy Calibre library to a Portable Hard Drive
3. Create Sync using MS Synctoy 2.0
4. Copy Calibre Library from Portable Hard Drive to My documents on Desktop PC
5. Set up Synctoy for that folder Combo.

now whenever i work with or want to work with a library on a particular machine i just sync the folder before i start and after i finish (Very quick once up an running)

As i said havn;t had a problem yet and as a bonus have 3 copies of my library just in case.
jimbob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use unison, though between multiple linux hosts. At a minimum you need to keep the calibre library folder synced. I'd recommend writing a small wrapper script that runs unison before launching calibre.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
CapnKirk
CapnKirk is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader Touch PRS-600
Ah! That means that Unison doesn't handle "conflicts" where changes are made on both machines and then the user is prompted for resolving. Eh?
CapnKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Not automatically, in fact I don't really see how it could if the changes are conflicting.