Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I kinda question the validity of any article that uses refresh rate to discuss whether it's a problem reading on the lcd versus e-ink. It sorta hurts their credibility. As 5thWiggle talks about, it's a lot less relevant of an issue on lcd panels.

I do fall into the camp though that feels there's something about backlighting that has a different effect on people than the reflective lighting on a e-ink panel. I myself definitely prefer reading on an e-ink device over an lcd device (except for pdf's, and that's more of because it's just easier to deal with a pdf on a tablet). The ipad2 I found to be just generally pretty bad because of resolution issues making the fonts not look that great, but even with better displays like the ipad 3, or my galaxy s3 phone (which while not at the ipad 3 levels, is still noticeably better than an ipad 2), I just don't find it comfortable to read for long periods of time on them.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have both iPad 3 and eink.

I read novels on eink; everything else on iPad.

Eink is easier on my eyes, but I'm more sensitive to light than the average person.

If I could magically turn the iPad into a reflective display and keep the response, contrast, and colors, I would. But for now, I can't have both and probably won't for a loonnng time.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #33
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Fire, Kindle Pwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
E-ink is much easier for me to read. I can read it longer without eye strain and have an easier time concentrating and taking it in. When reading on my iPad, I sometimes find I have to go back and read things again, but with e-ink I don't seem to have that difficulty. I don't know if this is a sign that e-ink is actually better for my eyes or if it's just a personal preference.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #34
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
I would like this answer from someone who owns iPad (retina) AND a E-ink device.

Does it feel comfortable on low brightness on retina iPad? Is it a dealbreaker enough for a reader who reads on long stretches?
I own an iPad. in fact, i own all three generations iPads.
I also owned several eink device (now only a kindle and Sony with pearl eink left).

Before the iPad, I loved eink. After awhile, I got annoyed at the bad contrast and fuzzy letters.
Then came the pearl screens. And I thought they were ok again.

Then came the iPad 1, and I've migrated my reading to it, occasionally using eink devices during holiday. Still reads paper magazines and books (study) too.

Then the 3rd iPad came, and I've abandoned both eink AND paper reading. The screen is so good! It's sharper than printed ink, it's pleasant on the eyes for reading text, and images and photos are stunning.

And my vision is still perfect.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #35
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 04:37 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
My eyes and head hurt after looking at an LCD screen for more than an hour or two (whether iPad, computer monitor, phone, whatever). I can read on my eInk Nook all day though with no problems.
I'm the same way. It's much more pleasant to read for longer periods on an e-ink screen.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #37
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I wonder how people like you work nowadays or read and post in web forums like this one.
My monitor is about 3 feet away from me. I often look away from the screen. I drink a lot. I wear a contraption that provides a continuous Visine drip.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:40 AM   #38
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
With my iPad I can read as long as I want without any headaches or eyestrain, but only with a white 'page' and black 'ink'. I did experiment once with both the Night mode, a black page with white text, but felt nauseated almost immediately.
I find white on black or black on sepia to be the easiest to read on LCD screens. Can't stand black on white! Much prefer eInk though, even though it's black on grey. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #39
Ekaros
Illiterate newbie
Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ekaros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My new laptop has option for 40Hz refresh rate...

Still, I think it comes to contrast and brightness of back-light not the refresh rate. Black on white is quite hard in long term use, and also hi brightness can be part of issue. For desktop use depending on screen I might prefer slightly grey background to pure white.
Ekaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #40
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I wonder how people like you work nowadays or read and post in web forums like this one.
When posting and reading on MR, (or twitter or other places) I find I am continually looking away from the screen. It's different than reading a chapter of a novel. Knowing how to touch type also allows me to make a post quickly, hit send, then do something else.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:23 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
my eyes are 60 years old. They just hurt period! Bring on the bananas!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:30 PM   #42
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
I kinda question the validity of any article that uses refresh rate to discuss whether it's a problem reading on the lcd versus e-ink. It sorta hurts their credibility. As 5thWiggle talks about, it's a lot less relevant of an issue on lcd panels.
Despite what some would have you believe, refresh rate DOES matter on LCD screens for many people. Believe me, I can tell the difference between 60Hz and 75Hz on my LCD monitor within seconds due to the eye fatigue/strain starting to set in almost immediately at 60Hz, and the headache that invariably begins within a half-hour (if I don't take regular breaks from looking at the screen).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 08-23-2012 at 07:33 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #43
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I find white on black or black on sepia to be the easiest to read on LCD screens. Can't stand black on white! Much prefer eInk though, even though it's black on grey. :-)
I agree.

The brightness issue with long term reading on LCD is due to the default being black type on a bright white background. Just because books have traditonally been black type on white, unfortunately this was chosen for Word and much of the internet etc etc, when a darker background is far more restful for the eyes - less light being emitted by the screen... remember green type on black screens?

Check out http://pixobebo.com/
in a tab next to a bright white google results page, and compare.

If you use Word a lot, check out the option to set your page background colour. It makes it a lot more pleasant to read and use...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...reenshot-1.jpg
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:36 AM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I agree.

The brightness issue with long term reading on LCD is due to the default being black type on a bright white background. Just because books have traditonally been black type on white, unfortunately this was chosen for Word and much of the internet etc etc, when a darker background is far more restful for the eyes - less light being emitted by the screen... remember green type on black screens?
I use a grey background when reading on a LCD. On My Kindle Fire I use the Sepia theme. I only have 3 backgrounds to choose from and Sepia works best. Grey would be better and I keep telling Kindle Support that but so far they haven't added the brightness slider back they took out. Their standard Kindle app has a grey background. It's just not fair!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #45
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I use both an iPhone and a Kindle for reading but I choose one over the other depending on the circumstances. I don't notice any discomfort reading on an LCD.

I prefer to read on my phone when in dark conditions, such as before falling asleep. Setting the brightness to low and using white text on a black background is easier and quicker than attaching a clip-on light to my Kindle and adjusting it. Lighter too.

In bright conditions, I prefer e-ink. Its readability seems to improve as ambient light increases, and it beats LCD in battery life. My fallback option is my phone. I've found that I can read on it even in sunlight by turning down the brightness all the way and using black letter on a light background. The sun seems to shine through the LCD layer and cast distinct word-shaped shadows on the background.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote