Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #841
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Exclamation Possible bug in KoboTouchExtended or in ACCESS renderer

Hi jgoguen

While reading a sideloaded kepubized epub, I've noticed a VERY strange behaviour with page numbers.

I've deleted the contents of the epub in order to make a simple test book and the trouble is still there. I upload that epub.

As you can easily check it has only 8 xhtml files. In order to make the bug evident, each file has a sample text with the following pattern: Name of the file -- Actual position / 8

What happens is that within ACCESS renderer, the page numbering of the book goes as follows:
  1. cubierta.xhtml No number (it seems that ACCESS doesn't show either header or footer in the very first file of the kepub. A logical decision as it is usually a cover).
  2. sinopsis.xhtml. Page 2 of 8.
  3. titulo.xhtml. Novel Title - Page 3 of 8.
  4. info.xhtml. Page 6 of 8. The bug starts here
  5. Prologo.xhtml. Page 7 of 8.
  6. dedicatoria. Page 8 of 8.
  7. Section0001.xhtml. Start - Page 4 of 8. Another jump in page numbers. In my original and true book this was the file with the main contents of the book. The behaviour was exactly the same as shown here, but this file has more than just one page.
  8. autor.xhtml. Author - Page 5 of 8.

I've re-re-checked the toc.ncx and the content.opf inside the epub and I don't see anything strange but I'm no expert. I've also checked that RMSDK doesn't show this behaviour when rendering the original epub.

As I don't know if the problem is within ACCESS or within your conversion from epub to kepub, I prefer posting here before going to the Kobo bug thread.

Could you check if there's something wrong with your plugin?

(As additional info I upload a screenshot of the plugin settings. I'm working with Calibre 1.11, FW 3.0.0 an KTE 2.2.13, I mean, newest versions in all the software).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboTouchExtended Settings.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	143.2 KB
ID:	115288  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Page numbers Test - Yo.epub (4.7 KB, 202 views)
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #842
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
How many pages are in each file? The default KePub page numbering is per-file, but the default RMSDK numbering is full-book. If there is only one page per file, the ACCESS reader may not show page numbers at all. If you want full-book page numbers with KePubs, there's a driver option for that.

I'll look further when I get a chance if this isn't right for you, using the book you attached.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #843
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essere Balzano View Post
It seems doesn't work fully on aura 6 (no icon stats in reading menu, sideload epub).
Same with Touch ... I have installed the latest version of the plugin, but it seems to be only partially working for sideloaded epubs: book is divided into chapters (like kepub books), but no reading stats are showing (minutes to go, chapters, etc.) ...

Joel, is that a known issue or is it only "me specific" .... ?
unaj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #844
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Stats no longer work for side loaded kEpubs in current f/w versions. You will find discussions of this both in this thread and in the Kobo sub forum.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #845
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaj41 View Post
Same with Touch ... I have installed the latest version of the plugin, but it seems to be only partially working for sideloaded epubs: book is divided into chapters (like kepub books), but no reading stats are showing (minutes to go, chapters, etc.) ...

Joel, is that a known issue or is it only "me specific" .... ?
Do you mean sideloaded ePub or sideloaded KePub?
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #846
unaj41
Enthusiast
unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.unaj41 actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoguen View Post
Do you mean sideloaded ePub or sideloaded KePub?
... sideloaded ePub ... It worked before I upgraded to 3.0.0 ...
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #847
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Do you have the driver option to use extended features on? If yes, you meant side loaded KePubs and the stats are gone because Kobo took them away. Hopefully only temporarily, but nothing I will do about it. If no, this driver isn't doing anything to affect stats and it means Kobo also took stats away from side loaded ePubs.

And where are you looking for these stats? The in-book stats have been gone for a while, but I think I read that Kobo also disabled stats everywhere else now.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #848
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:

And where are you looking for these stats? The in-book stats have been gone for a while, but I think I read that Kobo also disabled stats everywhere else now.
The plugin is enabled otherwise I would not see the epub book divided into chapters ...
Look at the attached pics ... one shows Reading Menu of the kepub purchased from Kobo and second is sideloaded epub (via Calibre) ... As you can see, besides the regular icons on the right, the left side is blank - no "XX% Read" to click on ... It was there, for the same book, before the upgrade ...

Sorry for the blurry pics ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131116-00119.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	115300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20131116-00120.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	115301  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #849
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
How many pages are in each file? The default KePub page numbering is per-file, but the default RMSDK numbering is full-book. If there is only one page per file, the ACCESS reader may not show page numbers at all. If you want full-book page numbers with KePubs, there's a driver option for that.
I've seen this with a couple of books. If the chapter only has one page, then the page number isn't displayed. And, if the file does not have an entry in the TOC, then there is no chapter title displayed. In this case, a couple of the files are only one page and do not have a TOC entry, so nothing is displayed.

As far as I can see this is working correctly. I could see a bug raised against the ACCESS renderer, but it definitely isn't a problem with the conversion to kepub.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:09 PM   #850
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The plugin is enabled otherwise I would not see the epub book divided into chapters ...
Look at the attached pics ... one shows Reading Menu of the kepub purchased from Kobo and second is sideloaded epub (via Calibre) ... As you can see, besides the regular icons on the right, the left side is blank - no "XX% Read" to click on ... It was there, for the same book, before the upgrade ...

Sorry for the blurry pics ...
As jgoguen stated and has been discussed a LOT in the last few days, the recent firmware does not display in-book stats for sideloaded kepubs. This started with 2.9.0 and reached the Touch with 3.0.0. There is nothing practical we can do to fix this. If you really want them, you need to roll back to an earlier firmware. Making polite requests to Kobo might help to get them added back in future firmware.

And the percent read has been moved to the title bar. The time will be displayed for a few seconds and then replace with the percent read.

The other stats are still being collected. If you go to the "Reading Stats" page (from the home screen, tap "Extras" and the "Reading Stats") they will be displayed for the current book. You can get them for other books by adding the following lines to the confg file:

Code:
[FeatureSettings]
BookSpecificStats=true
This will add a "Reading Stats" item to the book menu in the library. Selecting it will display the reading stats for that book.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #851
unaj41
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
..... This started with 2.9.0 and reached the Touch with 3.0.0. There is nothing practical we can do to fix this.
Ahhh ... I went from 2.6.something straight to 3.0 ... that's probably why I just discovered the problem ... Hope Kobo will put this functionality back ASAP - it makes no sense not to support it (if it was available in the earlier versions of the OS)

Thanks guys for your help!
Old 11-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #852
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Ahhh ... I went from 2.6.something straight to 3.0 ... that's probably why I just discovered the problem ... Hope Kobo will put this functionality back ASAP - it makes no sense not to support it (if it was available in the earlier versions of the OS)
The reason Kobo gave for removing it was that the stats were not accurate. I assume they had people complain and decided that it was better to remove it until it was fixed.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #853
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've seen this with a couple of books. If the chapter only has one page, then the page number isn't displayed. And, if the file does not have an entry in the TOC, then there is no chapter title displayed. In this case, a couple of the files are only one page and do not have a TOC entry, so nothing is displayed.

As far as I can see this is working correctly. I could see a bug raised against the ACCESS renderer, but it definitely isn't a problem with the conversion to kepub.
I haven't explained well as both jgoguen and you repeat the same thing. The problem is neither chapters nor pages showing or not in the footer. It's the jumps in the page numbers themselves.

Why is the 4th page numbered as the 6th one?

And of course I just want to discard a driver issue before going to the Bug Thread.
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #854
Essere Balzano
Essere Balzano began at the beginning.

Device: Aura 6
Quote:
Do you have the driver option for extended features enabled?

What do you mean by "aura 6"? Kobo Aura HD or Kobo Aura?
Yes, the option is enabled (Calibre 1.11, plugin version 2.2.13).
My device is Kobo Aura (FW 3.0.0)
Essere Balzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #855
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
I haven't explained well as both jgoguen and you repeat the same thing. The problem is neither chapters nor pages showing or not in the footer. It's the jumps in the page numbers themselves.

Why is the 4th page numbered as the 6th one?

And of course I just want to discard a driver issue before going to the Bug Thread.
Oh, you were talking about the order of the pages, not the actual page number. The "page number" you were referring to was hardcoded text. When I open it with the calibre viewer I get:

- cubierta.xhtml -- 1/8
- sinopsis.xhtml -- 2/8
- titulo.xhtml -- 3/8
- info.xhtml -- 4/8
- Prologo.xhtml -- 5/8
- dedicatoria.xhtml -- 6/8
- Section0001.xhtml -- 7/8
- autor.xhtml -- 8/8

Because I was testing something else related to sending kepubs, I initially did a conversion to kepub and then sent it to my Glo. Paging through it I saw the same page sequence as above.

Then I deleted the kepub version from the Glo and calibre and enabled the extended driver. Exactly the same results as with the converted version and using the calibre viewer.

But, the numbers on the page do not agree with our original post. The file names do but not the numbers. Did you post the correct version of the epub? Or have I missed something?

Tags
error, kobo aura one