Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Lost in series

I wanted to ask how you deal with series. Basically I see no series information on my kindle 4. So I have no idea if a book is part of a series and which part. Is there a way to add that info to kindle? Does it ignore series info the same as tags, blurbs?

I have a long to read list and all these books are on kindle so I don't remember them all when I'm browsing kindle.

I use calibre, but I definitely do not want to mess up title column by adding series info to it.

Do all readers are like that?
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
I wanted to ask how you deal with series. Basically I see no series information on my kindle 4. So I have no idea if a book is part of a series and which part. Is there a way to add that info to kindle? Does it ignore series info the same as tags, blurbs?

I have a long to read list and all these books are on kindle so I don't remember them all when I'm browsing kindle.

I use calibre, but I definitely do not want to mess up title column by adding series info to it.

Do all readers are like that?
I use the Plugboard feature on Calibre it adds the series to title after you either Save to Disk or Add to Kindle. It does not mess with the metadata with the book saved in Calibre. It only adds it to exported book not the original.

I have mine to export to Kindle like this: Title (Series 01)
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Will have to check it out. I don't know about this plugboard. Is it a plug in? I use Kindle collections plug in now.

Could you tell me where to find about it more?

Last edited by Noughty; 12-09-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Will have to check it out. I don't know about this plugboard. Is it a plug in? I use Kindle collections plug in now.
Nope, it's found in Preferences in Calibre. You have to set it up but after that anytime you export a book it will save the series in the title area.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Noughty
Addict

Ok. Will check it out. If it works as I understand - problem solved.

Thank you a lot

can't give you any more karma
Advert
Old 12-09-2011, 03:16 PM   #6
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I echo Blossom's sentiments, I love this plug-in to DEATH! I read a ton of series and before this plug-in, I was going to Fantastic Fiction or someplace like that to find out the next book in the series.

After the plug-in, I am able to literally set up the series and then all the books contained in the series are in order. No more guess work. It does take some patience to get the plug-in set up correctly or more importantly, customized to how YOU want to see the books/series displayed. But the end result is AMAZING!

Here is an example of how it looks when done (again, you will need to customize based on how you want the books to look):
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Noughty
Addict

The picture is very small , can't really see

I think I will love it too once I start using it.

Template:

[title][series:| [|] [series_index:||]]

will give me
title1 [series 1]
title2 [series 2]
in title field (destination title)?

Last edited by Noughty; 12-09-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
I echo Blossom's sentiments, I love this plug-in to DEATH! I read a ton of series and before this plug-in, I was going to Fantastic Fiction or someplace like that to find out the next book in the series.

After the plug-in, I am able to literally set up the series and then all the books contained in the series are in order. No more guess work. It does take some patience to get the plug-in set up correctly or more importantly, customized to how YOU want to see the books/series displayed. But the end result is AMAZING!
Note that we're talking about plugboards here, not plug-ins. They are completely different things, and shouldn't be confused. Plugboards are not a plug-in.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #9
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note that we're talking about plugboards here, not plug-ins. They are completely different things, and shouldn't be confused. Plugboards are not a plug-in.
Your absolutely right Harry. There is a difference. I am referring to using the Kindle Collections plug-in IN CONJUNCTION with the plugboards to yield the results I get. Thanks for clarifying that.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
The picture is very small , can't really see

I think I will love it too once I start using it.

Template:

[title][series:| [|] [series_index:||]]

will give me
title1 [series 1]
title2 [series 2]
in title field (destination title)?
This is what I use to get: Title (Series 01)
Code:
{title} {series:|(| }{series_index:0>2s||)}
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
Noughty
Addict

This will work for me too. Just changing () to []

Now I see how wrongly I wrote the template above . This is what happens when you don't work with something for awhile

Last edited by Noughty; 12-09-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
Noughty
Addict

Ok, how to use the plug board? I added kindle, mobi format. Added books to kindle and there is no series info.

The template was saved, I can edit it. But it doesn't seem to be working. I use "Send to device"

I just noticed there are a few kindle devices to choose from. Kindle 4 doesn't seem to be there. Only Kindle, Kindle2, Kindle fire,Kindle dx.

Solved. Just choose mobi and any device and it is working.

Last edited by Noughty; 12-11-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ok, how to use the plug board? I added kindle, mobi format. Added books to kindle and there is no series info.

The template was saved, I can edit it. But it doesn't seem to be working. I use "Send to device"

I just noticed there are a few kindle devices to choose from. Kindle 4 doesn't seem to be there. Only Kindle, Kindle2, Kindle fire,Kindle dx.

Solved. Just choose mobi and any device and it is working.
Kindle 2 I believe it what will work as well. It's what I have mine set at.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's not as good as the plugin approach but I put all books from a series in a collection and then use the Notepad app (from 7 Dragons in the Kindle store) to keep a list of the order of the series.

I'll have to try the plugin approach (thanks for the tip)!
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote