Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #781
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
I've tried it yesterday in a different port, but not a different cable. What I find weird is why it detects the device and then doesn't transfer the files. And why it worked fine, and then started to not work.
It looks to be something in the USB driver on XP and the matching driver on the device. The connection works OK, but when stressed it fails. When calibre reads the database on the device, it seems to stress it enough that the connection fails. From memory, someone has replicated it by reading the database using other tools or accessing the drive in other ways.

It is also doesn't happen for all XP machines. I have an old laptop running XP that works perfectly. One thing is that is seems to happen more for AMD based PCs than Intel.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #782
snowstone
Connoisseur
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Do you think if I had a previous calibre and plugin versions it would work?

Or is there a way to cirrect the usb driver problem?
snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #783
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The issue is not with calibre or the plugin; rather it's with the basic operating system / drivers combination.

The only reliable fix we seem to know of is moving away from Windows/XP.

At times there has been discussions on forcing the device to run in USB 1.0 mode, but I don't remember if that was effective.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #784
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
it seems like the problem I have with xp, for me it started with calibre version 0.9.36, before it worked fine, back in the day I downgraded it to 0.9.29 and the problem disappeared, I then updated because I wanted to use the new features off the plugins, and the problem returned, I still can’t send books or update metadata from my xp machine
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #785
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
it seems like the problem I have with xp, for me it started with calibre version 0.9.36, before it worked fine, back in the day I downgraded it to 0.9.29 and the problem disappeared, I then updated because I wanted to use the new features off the plugins, and the problem returned, I still can’t send books or update metadata from my xp machine
I had a look at the changes that are in 0.9.36. There is one change that for the KoboTouch driver. There is an extra SQL statement when deleting empty shelves. I can't see why it would cause a problem, but to bypass this, uncheck the "Delete empty shelves" option in the driver configuration. If it changes anything, I can look at doing this in a different way.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #786
snowstone
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a look at the changes that are in 0.9.36. There is one change that for the KoboTouch driver. There is an extra SQL statement when deleting empty shelves. I can't see why it would cause a problem, but to bypass this, uncheck the "Delete empty shelves" option in the driver configuration. If it changes anything, I can look at doing this in a different way.
In my case I have the "Delete empty shelves" unchecked.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #787
Genesis
Enthusiast
Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Genesis has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Does modifying an epub to kepub allow Kobo Sync to sync the kepub's bookmarks to pc or/and other Koboreader?
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #788
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Oasis
No, that can only work for books that you both purchase from Kobo and load on your device using the Kobo Desktop software or download from Kobo on your device (for units with wireless capability).

If you don't mind some manual work (still won't work for the desktop) you could look at the bookmark store/restore functionality of the Kobo Utilities plugin.
jgoguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #789
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Ok, just uncheck the "Delete empty shelves" and send a book to try and I get the error, just played a bit and this is what happened

a) If I delete a book I get the error, but the book is deleted

b) if I have the option “Metadata management“ set in “manual management“ and I use the option to “send a specific format to device“ (kepub) not having that format in calibre and doing the automatic conversion , I get the error, but the kepub is send to the glo

c) if I have the option “Metadata management“ set in “manual management“ and I simply send to device not choosing a specific format, I get the error and no book is sent

d) if I have the option “Metadata management“ set in “manual management“ and I use the option “send a specific format to device“ (kepub) all goes well. In which case I then can update the metadata using Kobo utilities without problems.

If I look in the history off the jobs from calibre the error is always when the metadata is being updated except when they are updated trough the kobo utilities in which case no error occurs and the metadata is updated.

The error always makes the sdcard and the device to show has empty directories in My Pc.

I would like to know if someone can replicate this, in any case I will test this again in the weekend with some more books, if this is correct I have a solution without having to borrow a laptop to update the metadata.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #790
snowstone
Connoisseur

So does this mean that the error I'm getting might have nothing to do with usb driver per se, but something about the metadata?
Old 11-07-2013, 08:33 PM   #791
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person
jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgoguen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No. It has to do with the Windows XP USB drivers.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:33 PM   #792
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Version 2.2.12 has been posted, look for a calibre update notice in the next few hours. The major new change here is the addition of translations, which you can contribute to from https://translations.launchpad.net/calibre-kobo-driver in any language you're fluent in.

Translators who've already been contributing, there's already new strings needing translating

Now for the bad news. I've been trying to get the KePub stats display back, but even when I create all the database entries the same as they get made by the Kobo Desktop app books won't show up in the Library list. Clearly there's something more going on than just database entries, but I can't see what. If anyone has insights, they're welcomed.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #793
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Could you send me the code and / or DB entries you've tried adding?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #794
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ooops, I'm sorry to say that the trouble with the spaces when using "—" or — in justified texts is still present.

You can test with the same epub I posted in the Kobo bug thread...

(Using Calibre 1.10, KTE 2.2.12, Aura HD with 2.10.0).
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #795
jgoguen
Generally Awesome Person

Can you try with no justification and left justification?

Tags
error, kobo aura one