Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 AM   #46
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would have thought that you would have been touting Family Guy as more your style.
I DO like that one, too. It's kind of disgusting to me, but in an amusing way. I haven't watched it, however, in over a year.

Don
Old 04-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #47
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Can somebody explain what bathroom humour is?

I generally aren't offended by any humour, as long as the intent was to tell a joke. You can generally notice when the intent was to hurt or to humour.

But sometimes people just want to be offended (or so it seems). Whatever you say, they will think it is about them and you are making fun of them...

For example:

One day, in spring, my brother and mother were working in the garden. They were living next to each other and wanted to make a nice garden together. The sun was shining and it was hot, without shade. My sister-in-law, who was highly pregnant, was sitting and watching it.

My mother made the remark, something wasn't right, as my sister-in-law was sitting while they were working, she had even given my sister-in-law a slave bracelet! My sister-in-law laughed and took a sip of her drink

Is this offensive? I think most people would say no.
And what if I add the missing fact that my sister-in-law is black?

Bathroom Humor (and it's kind of disgusting to even write about it), is off-color humor that often deals with bodily functions.

I like bathroom humor, personally, but not while I'm eating.

On your question about the joke: I don't think it would be off-color, as long as there is this deep love and affection between both parties, and that the two individuals know that it's only a joke. The two must really know each other and trust each other, and to me this translates into a love and appreciation for that other person. It might be perceived as highly offensive, however, if the two people are less than what I described at the beginning of this paragraph. Telling a joke like this can be "dangerous" if the person is not well known.

(Parenthetically, I think the reason two or three people here have verbally castrated me is not because they dislike me personally, but that they don't know me. My humor makes them feel uncomfortable, possibly due to some trauma early - or later - in their lives. It's impossible to tell, though. And I've been mostly silent, posting stupid silly comments where that's most expected. But I wanted to change that, to open people's eyes and veins, and get them to think outside their comfortable reality. However, it's also simply the working of my mind and what I find humorous. I've lost some "friends" over my convictions, over my idea of what I think is funny. Also, an individual's perception of humor is such a nebulous thing [I feel], and people are very, very sensitive about what they think to be funny.)

Don
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #48
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A newspaper cartoon on Stephen Hawking's illness asked 'Have they tried switching him off and on again?"

That's a bad taste joke in my book because it is about an actual person who is suffering.
Happily Stephen Hawking is expected to make a full recovery.
I was reading through the thread (still haven't got to the end). All the while through I was thinking of this joke and was planning on posting about it.

When I saw it I was instantly in 2 minds. Yes it was in Bad Taste due to his being ill, but I also found it funny...
Old 04-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #49
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I was reading through the thread (still haven't got to the end). All the while through I was thinking of this joke and was planning on posting about it.

When I saw it I was instantly in 2 minds. Yes it was in Bad Taste due to his being ill, but I also found it funny...
I think that is one that that is walking the edge. I know that Stephen Hawking never wanted to be pitied. And he might be the first one laughing over it (I have no idea how his sense of humour is, btw!).

I personally love black humour, sarcastic humour and subtle humour. And I would put that cartoon under the "black humour" header...
Old 04-23-2009, 10:28 AM   #50
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
All I needed was to see clips of that movie on TV to judge (in my opinion) that it was awful, not funny and stupid.

But that's just me.
I believe you and JSWolf are the first people who didn't like it (after me and my wife). You deserve a bit of rep for it.
Awful, stupid, idiotic movie.
Advert
Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #51
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
Or like that joke about a black guy who cut off a finger. They only had a white finger for transplant, so they did it. The black guy died in two days: the finger rejected the body.

Bad taste, offensive but funny.

I guess what defines a joke, is its context.
I don't like this type of jokes. I don't get it because I firmly belive that: in every joke there is a small part of a tru...joke.
So, they may clap you on a shoulder and say, hey I am kidding ....but I believe there is a lot more behind it otherwise they would find it offensive.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #52
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
A newspaper cartoon on Stephen Hawking's illness asked 'Have they tried switching him off and on again?"

That's a bad taste joke in my book because it is about an actual person who is suffering.
Happily Stephen Hawking is expected to make a full recovery.
But this is not really a sick person joke. It's a computer joke. Non-computer people wouldn't understand it and would probably be offended.

Several years ago when my father died, I had to be very careful about what I said. I tend to deal with adversity by using humor. I only had one friend with whom I could talk about his death freely (i.e. making jokes). About a year later his father died & I was the only one he could talk to freely without offending someone.

Another time I told my daughter a sacreligious joke. She's religious but I'm not. She burst out laughing but the next day she asked me to not tell her such jokes. She thought it was very funny but felt she shouldn't have laughed at it. Interesting.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #53
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
But sometimes people just want to be offended (or so it seems). Whatever you say, they will think it is about them and you are making fun of them...
I call them professional victims, and they beg to be insulted. I am often inclined to oblige them.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #54
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I call them professional victims, and they beg to be insulted. I am often inclined to oblige them.
Me too

slayda, that's the way how I react as well. In my opinion, it's better to laugh than to cry. So, if I feel sucked down into a pit, I'll try to joke my way out of it. And yes, a lot of people won't understand (how can you laugh at that!), but it will keep me "sane"...
Old 04-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #55
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
The real problem is that people's tolerance's cannot be gauged by plain sight. Some people would picket in front of your house if you insinuate some type of sex/race/religious biasness. Others would try to one up your joke.
So everytime you try to make a simple joke to a stranger/aquaintance you never know what level of D-baggery you're gonna get!

for record I love bathroom humor. Its so childish. Plus every one goes so why not laugh about it than pretend it never happens!

Quick show of hands:
Does anyone know of the degenerate's dictionary?
Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #56
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
You are at a party and there is grand staircase at one end of the room where people enter the party. A man of of some great importance and haughty bearing appeares at the top of the stairs. He is well revered, yet feared by many. He steps forward to enter the room and trips, falling down the stairs. He continues to tumble. He is really taking a pratfall, severely injuring his dignity. People are laughing nervously at the site. He continues to fall and now people are laughing uproariously at this arrogant man's literal and figurative fall. He comes to rest at the bottom of the stairs. He is dead.

If you know when the scene went from funny to tragic, then you understand comedy.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #57
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
When is HUMOR in "Bad" taste? This is a loaded question. My answer to this is simple and sweet ..it is in ones sense of humor and nothing more. I personally find the world as one huge joke..I have to because of all the terrible things going on in it, if not I would want to die.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:19 AM   #58
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
You are at a party and there is grand staircase at one end of the room where people enter the party. A man of of some great importance and haughty bearing appeares at the top of the stairs. He is well revered, yet feared by many. He steps forward to enter the room and trips, falling down the stairs. He continues to tumble. He is really taking a pratfall, severely injuring his dignity. People are laughing nervously at the site. He continues to fall and now people are laughing uproariously at this arrogant man's literal and figurative fall. He comes to rest at the bottom of the stairs. He is dead.

If you know when the scene went from funny to tragic, then you understand comedy.
That is a good one... But isn't that point different for every person?

(for me, the moment he keeps falling, it turns from funny to tragic...)
Old 04-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Don't you think that is rather the situation with the recent "Miss USA", thing, where a woman was asked her personal opinion about the rights of gay marriage? She said that she personally had been brought up to think that it was wrong, and yet people were offended by it. For goodness sake - I hold the opposite view myself, but the woman is entitled to hold a contrary viewpoint, and nobody should have been "offended" by that.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 AM   #60
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The 'Aristocrats' joke is a bad taste joke - that's the whole point of it.
Closed Thread