Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #91
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Can anyone without a Kindle buy it from Amazon?

Edit: No. You can only buy it via whispernet, so for all practical purposes, it IS a Kindle book.
No, actually. Any retailer could do the same as Amazon: sell the item at a loss. It's the publisher who set the price, not Amazon.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #92
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
But I think there's another reason they've locked Kindle books so tightly to the Kindle. I think it comes back to the publishers, wanting "tough" DRM to prevent those awful evil pirates from stealing their IP. I think the publishers who were never willing to go with ebooks before were talked into it by Amazon in part due to promises made about how hard it would be to crack the DRM on these books. I think everyone involved was looking at the iTunes model and trying to figure out how to emulate it as closely as possible... just as Apple itself was moving away from DRM.

Personally, I think this was misguided at best. Amazon's use of a variant of Mobipocket was, in my mind, what finally drove the cracking of the Mobi format. It would not surprise me at all if someone eventually either provides a common, simple workaround to purchasing Kindle books without a Kindle, or goes to court to force Amazon to open their Kindle book sales to non-kindle owners.
I've suspected this myself. It's silly since you don't need a lot of people figuring out how to get content off the Kindle and breaking the DRM. You just need one. Once the knowledge is out there, you still may not have a ton of people using it, but even if a few hundred of them started uploading their books, it could do a lot of damage. It may look reassuring to publishers on the surface, but as well all know here, it's just punishing honest users. Here we are with that knowledge. It's been out there for months. The world has still somehow failed to spin off its axis. I'm sure Bezos and Amazon know this, too. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. They're trying to lead a dinosaur. I think if it weren't for this, we likely would see Amazon licensing other hardware for the Kindle store. Heck, they'd probably go DRM-free if they could get the dinosaur moving.

However, If they keep doing the exclusive book thing, like with Goodkind, I wouldn't be surprised if more people start uploading. Sadly, if that happens the publishers likely won't see it as being connected to the issue of fairness. They'll probably think it was because they weren't restrictive enough.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 06:19 PM   #93
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, we could really do without the Kindle and Amazon. Amazon has screwed people over with eBooks in the past and they are still doing it today. We don't need Amazon to screw people over with eBooks. We need them to play nice. But they didn't in the past and they don't now. It is totally not right for Amazon to get exclusive content that we know a lot of people without a Kindle have been wanting for a long time now. I would not find the prospect of Amazon leaving the eBook market for good to be bad. In fact, I'd find it to be quite good.
Jon, I'm a bit curious ... are there no books that are available in Sony format that are not available in other formats? I mean, as long as you are saying that all ebooks should be available to everyone, and not just because they spent the money on an ebook reader, then I am assuming that you mean all ebooks should be able to be read on any device, computer, pda, whatever ... and not just that Amazon is at fault for having a format that is specific to the Kindle. Isn't the lrf format specific to the Sony? Or, am I reading more (or less) into your post than I should and the lrf format can actually be read on ebook readers other than Sony.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:37 AM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
BBeB, Mobipocket, eReader, MS Reader, PDF, & ePub can all be read on a computer. Granted, you might need Windows for some of these if they have DRM. AZW & Topaz cannot be read on any computer. So while content might be exclusive for some readers, they are not exclusive for reading. Anything Amazon has as an eBook that is not available in any other format is exclusive to just the Kindle. You see, what we need is to have eBooks come out in All of the above mentioned formats (including AZW) except PDF (not a good idea for eBooks). Then we'd have whatever format people want/need to be able to read on whatever device they choose. Amazon is tying eBooks to just the Kindle. There is no alternative. And, if you find your Kindle breaks in such a way that it's not covered under warranty, you have to purchase a brand new one to be able to continue to read your purchased content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:31 AM   #95
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Is that question similar to "are you married or happy?"

My answer to your question is "yes."

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #96
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'd like to see them both make it. I prefer the/my Sony.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #97
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Netbooks are getting more attractive to me more and more
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #98
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
I'd like to see them both make it. I prefer the/my Sony.
Me too. I don't want this to be a winner take all. There is room for everybody
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #99
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
I agree, Lilac.. there's enough room for all the ereaders.
It's nice to have an assortment to choose from so each
person can find the best one for them.
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #100
anne fleming
anne fleming began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Actually, I would vastly prefer that Sony and Amazon stay neck and neck - its the only incentive to keep e-book prices at a discount to pulp-and-ink. However, I think the Kindle will win the marathon in the long run - Amazon has an investment in selling books that will keep them supporting the reader technology forever. Sony only has an investment in selling gadgets - when a new gaget is in vogue, the reader may be marginalized.
anne fleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #101
golferjec
golferjec began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
I have used both readers and while not directly comparable, they each have + and -s.

I like to sony best mainly because of its text light.
golferjec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #102
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferjec View Post
I have used both readers and while not directly comparable, they each have + and -s.

I like to sony best mainly because of its text light.
Text light?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #103
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Text light?
I think he/she means the side lighting on the 700.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:47 AM   #104
SStetson
SStetson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
Can't they both win?

Personal preferences will always matter, so I'm hoping that BOTH readers will stick around. What we need to work toward is uniformity of file types so that any reader can be used to view any e-book. Wonder whether that will happen and, if so, how long it will take?
SStetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 AM   #105
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
They both seem, IMO, to want to force you into their store for ebooks (Amazon somewhat moreso than Sony). They both "created" a new format, peculiar to their own reader. Yes they both do alow some other format capability but I have to side with Jon on this. Again IMO the reader should attempt to force the ebooks into some particular format. If all readers were able to read all formats then we could select readers solely on the merits of the reader. As it now stands, anyone purchasing a reader must tak into account the availability of ebooks in a readable or at least a convertable format (for that reader).

It is obvious to me that both Sony and Amazon want to tie you to their reader for exclusivity. This comes at the cost of the authors, publishers, and readers.

This is why I eventually went to the Hanlin V3 family with OpenInkPot firmware.

This contest between Sony & Amazon (other players are mostly on the sidelines) is different from the video tape contest (Betamax vs. VHS). With the video tapes there was a physical (i.e. hardware) difference between the VCR. All of the eink reader hardware are capable (with the right firmware) to read any of the ebook formats.

Last edited by slayda; 02-19-2009 at 10:12 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!