Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Remove/set device passcode?

I am looking for a way to disable/enable the device passcode (the numeric code that I can set in the user interface and that must be entered when the Kindle PW2 wakes up). Preferably via the command line on the Kindle.

P.S.: It would be okay if the disabling is only possible after the device woke up and I entered the passcode already.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #2
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bump

I'm still interested in being able to remove the passcode. Does anybody have any clues where this data is stored?

What does he want to do with that, you ask? Well, I was fancying a kind of timeout, where the Kindle would not ask me again for the passcode unless it was turned off for X minutes.
Advert
Old 03-21-2014, 03:23 AM   #3
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
i don't really expect anyone to help because, i imagine people would not want to really help bypass something that is used to secure your kindle from other people.

if it gets bypassed, people would want a further lock, that is not bypassable, right?
then it might go on and on... etc

or maybe people will help and just have not yet
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #4
peterson
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post
i don't really expect anyone to help because, i imagine people would not want to really help bypass something that is used to secure your kindle from other people.
Well, I am not sure this argument applies. I'm not asking how to remove the passcode of e.g. a stolen or found Kindle, but rather one that is jail-broken and where specific software was installed. This should only be possible by the owner (it requires either knowing the passcode to mount the Kindle as USB storage device, or the root ssh password with USBnet installed). This does not pose a security issue, because if I managed to install this kind of software without your knowledge on your device, I already have full access to all data stored on it anyway, so I would not care much about the passcode :-)

Quote:
or maybe people will help and just have not yet
That's my hope :-)
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
. . . .
or the root ssh password with USBnet installed.
. . . .
When using the MR USBnet over the USB cable, no password is required.

- - - - -

But anything which prohibits accessing the Kindle as a USB storage device will make an unmodified Kindle difficult to "crack".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 AM   #6
peterson
Connoisseur

Still, I'd maintain that an extension able to disable the passcode is no additional harm.

Anyway, to remove the passcode just delete /var/local/system/userpasswdenabled

To re-enable the passcode, "touch /var/local/system/userpasswdenabled" (probably should only be done if a passcode was previously set).