Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #1
wholcomb
wholcomb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Question Quote tag handling

I have been trying to figure out how to port HTML quotes to a format that calibre will display properly.

I've been using <q> tags to handle correctly formatting smart quotes. The CSS that I am using is:

Code:
q:before { content: '\201C' }
q:after { content: '\201D' }
q.continued:after { content: '' }
q.single:before, q q:before { content: '\2018' }
q.single:after, q q:after { content: '\2019' }
In browsers this handles nested quotes (“I said, ‘go!’”) and removing the trailing quote on multi-paragraph quotes.

As best I can tell, Calibre doesn't process the :before and :after pseudo-elements. Is there a workaround possible?
wholcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre supports neither before, after nor content. So you can't use CSS to do this and IIRC the q tag is deprecated
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@wholcomb,

Can't you just check the Smarten Punctuation feature in Convert - Look&Feel to make sure you get curly quotes?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css, html, pseudo-elements, smart quote