Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #16006
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just started The Manual of Detection: A Novel by Jedediah Berry. The first few chapters are excellent but very surreal. Reviews make comparisons to Borges and Kafka if they had written a detective story.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #16007
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Between moderation and Book Club duties, this thread is about all I'm reading these days. Ever wish you could slip out of the time stream for a spell to catch up with life?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #16008
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I'm currently reading The Magician's Nephew, the first book (published as sixth but first in terms of internal chronological order) in the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Immensely enjoying it
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #16009
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I'm currently reading The Magician's Nephew, the first book (published as sixth but first in terms of internal chronological order) in the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. Immensely enjoying it
Have you read the other books before? If not, I'd STRONGLY recommend reading them in publication order. If you read "The Magician's Nephew" first, all the pleasure of discovering Narnia in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is taken away.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #16010
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
I have the omnibus which presents the books in chronological order... For those of you who have read the series, do you have a preference between chronological vs date published order?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #16011
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I have the omnibus which presents the books in chronological order... For those of you who have read the series, do you have a preference between chronological vs date published order?
I prefer the published order but either seems to work ok if you are doing a re-read. I don't think I would love the series as much as I do if I had started with Magician's Nephew instead of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #16012
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read the other books before? If not, I'd STRONGLY recommend reading them in publication order. If you read "The Magician's Nephew" first, all the pleasure of discovering Narnia in "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" is taken away.
I haven't and I'm already 60% in. But on Amazon The Magician's Nephew is book number one. Also, I searched prior to starting the book and it says the correct reading order is:

The Magician’s Nephew
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

I've watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when it first got released so I kind of know the story. I recall the characters: Peter, Edmund, and Lucy (I forgot the other one's name) anyway, the characters in The Magician's Nephew are different which made me think at first that it's not part of the series but rather a stand alone novel but then the Witch appeared and then Aslan...

Last edited by Gazella; 03-20-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #16013
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool chronological vs date published order?

Quote:
I haven't and I'm already 60% in. But on Amazon The Magician's Nephew is book number one. Also, I searched prior to starting the book and it says the correct reading order is:

The Magician’s Nephew
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
The Horse and His Boy
Prince Caspian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Last Battle

I've watched The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when it first got released so I kind of know the story. I recall the characters: Peter, Edmund, and Lucy (I forgot the other one's name) anyway, the characters in The Magician's Nephew are different which made me think at first that it's not part of the series but rather a stand alone novel but then the Witch appeared and then Aslan...
Quoted from wikipedia.org

Quote:
Reading order

Fans of the series often have strong opinions over the order in which the books should be read. The issue revolves around the placement of The Magician's Nephew and The Horse and His Boy in the series. Both are set significantly earlier in the story of Narnia than their publication order and fall somewhat outside the main story arc connecting the others. The reading order of the other five books is not disputed.
Quote:
alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:34 PM   #16014
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I first read them in chronological order, and can't imagine having read in any other order. I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between publication and chronological orders until I read this thread!
I much prefer an introduction to Narnia with The Magician's Nephew rather than with The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, but that's just my own humble opinion.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #16015
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I am currently reading Honor Among Enemies on my Kindle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enemies.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	103233  
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #16016
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Are they available as ebooks in the US now?
Some are starting to show up, at least in Canada. (Another one is reported to be coming end of March on the BCLibrary site.) But mostly not, yet. I've got them all in paperback, however, and I confess I resorted to the dark net rather than scanning them in myself. As soon as they become available here, I'll be buying them, however.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #16017
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Between moderation and Book Club duties, this thread is about all I'm reading these days. Ever wish you could slip out of the time stream for a spell to catch up with life?
Yup, I understand completely! I took a couple of months off here while I dealt with life, and I'm starting back drinking tea and this thread.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #16018
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
My first book in the series was 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader,' but didn't stop me from enjoying the rest.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:17 PM   #16019
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post

Next will be The House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz.
The Conan Doyle Estate gave Horowitz permission to write another Sherlock Holmes story and he did a good job. The author researched Victorian London extensively and it made the story come alive. Not as much artful deduction as the originals and the language was somewhat modern. Did they say "that's right" in 1890 London? The ending was not a complete surprise. A red herring and shocking revelations round out this title. Rated C [3 stars].

Next is Foreigner by C.J. Cherryh. My first with this author.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #16020
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yup, I understand completely! I took a couple of months off here while I dealt with life, and I'm starting back drinking tea and this thread.
I understand completely as well! I've been out of the loop as well, it's going to take me a while to get back to 'normal'.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote