Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
MrFuzzles
MrFuzzles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Kobo Reading Life Hours Read

Howdy,

Just received a new Kobo device for Christmas that replaced my old one, but I'm just wondering about some oddities with the displayed reading hours.

I just finished my first book on it last night, and the reading time displayed 57.6 hours, I took a picture to share to somebody. I woke up this morning, after about 8 hours difference, and the time for the book says 68.8 hours now. I double checked by adding the BookSpecificStats=true to my config as I found suggested somewhere else in the forum.

Any idea how that could have jumped? I'm a little bit skeptical of the hours already... I mean the only thing I could think of perhaps is sometimes a line gets underlined and I can see when it's in sleep mode the context menu appears on the cover of the book, that was like that this morning... But 10 hours difference is still strange when it was most certainly about 8 hours or less between me checking it.

Hmmm..? Sometimes these niggling Kobo OS issues are annoying... and I don't like inflated stats.
MrFuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm seeing the same inconsistencies on my new Aura One. Book I just finished--my A1 told me it took me about 80 hours to read (correct amount is probably somewhere between 8 and 9 hours). And current book, which I just started and have read maybe half an hour--already shows me as reading for 7 hours. It also shows that my average reading session is 210 minutes--I would love to find 3 1/2 hours in my day where I could just sit down and read. I'm lucky if I get 15 to 30 minutes at a time!

In total it says I have 100 reading hours logged. That's since I got the device 22 days ago. I probably average about 1/2 an hour reading a day during the week and maybe 1 to 2 hours on weekends--which by my calculations would be a maximum of 15 hours.

I just shrug and laugh...not much I can do about it.

On the other hand, my Aura HD (running firmware 3.15) reports that I've read for a total of 547 hours. This is probably fairly accurate as I've put it to fairly heavy use over the past couple of years.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
MrFuzzles
MrFuzzles began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hmmm.. dangit. I love tracking things, and it peeves me to no end when it doesn't work correctly lol.

My previous KoboTouch seemed to work all fine and dandy, or maybe it didn't and it was all messed up.

I'll try just resetting the reading activity I suppose and see how it tracks my new one.

You're brushing it off your shoulders waaaaaay easier than I am! *clenches teeth*
MrFuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm curious how many is seeing wildly inaccurate reading statistics on the Aura 1. My in book statistics seem to be fairly accurate, but the statistics reported under the "reading stats" tile on the home screen are so far off it's laughable.

For example I'm 20% in to the current book I'm reading and the "reading stats" tile reports that I've been reading the current book for 28.6 hours--which is way off. My guess would be maybe an 1.5 hours total. The in-book statistics show that it will take me about 8.2 hours to complete the book--which seems fairly close.

I'm not experiencing any excessive battery drain so I can't blame this on the reader being turned on accidently when I'm not using it.

I'm running firmware version 4.2.8110--not sure if updating the firmware or a factory reset would fix the problem.

Please share your experiences--I'm curious if others see similar results or MrFuzzles and I are the only two seeing this!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #5
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I'm on 4.2.8283, and I'm seeing a similar issue.

I read approximately 5 hours on a book, and the reading stats shows 17! This is my first book partially read on the KA1 (I started it on m H2O).
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert