Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #16
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I still do not understand how you accomplish this. My android which has no collections or books whatsover, syncs with my account and all the collections which are on the pw2 show up on the android.
I never looked at collections on my tablet with it's Kindle app. I was talking about my 3 Paperwhites.

I just looked at the collections on my Kindle app and I see the collections from one of the Paperwhites but not the others. Why, I don't know. Frankly I don't care a lot about collections on the app. I never have anything but my current book on it. I much prefer to read on my Paperwhite.

I have 3 collections on each Paperwhite with the following names:
_A_Books
_A_Stories
_A_Misc
where A stands for the prefix for that particular Paperwhite's registered name. B Paperwhite has _B_Books, etc.

My Paperwhites are named A Paperwhite, B Paperwhite and C Paperwhite.

Each only shows the collections created on it. They never show collections created for the others. I've never imported collections of course. That would ruin the plan.

This works well for me and was easy to set up because I don't have a million books on board my devices. I keep my current book on the home screen and a few likely next books in the _Books collection. There are rarely over 20 books, usually more like 8 or 10. So changing any of this is a simple matter. I can change the name of a device, delete it's collections and re-create them with appropriate names in just a few minutes.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I never looked at collections on my tablet with it's Kindle app. I was talking about my 3 Paperwhites.

I just looked at the collections on my Kindle app and I see the collections from one of the Paperwhites but not the others. Why, I don't know. Frankly I don't care a lot about collections on the app. I never have anything but my current book on it. I much prefer to read on my Paperwhite.

I have 3 collections on each Paperwhite with the following names:
_A_Books
_A_Stories
_A_Misc
where A stands for the prefix for that particular Paperwhite's registered name. B Paperwhite has _B_Books, etc.

My Paperwhites are named A Paperwhite, B Paperwhite and C Paperwhite.

Each only shows the collections created on it. They never show collections created for the others. I've never imported collections of course. That would ruin the plan.

This works well for me and was easy to set up because I don't have a million books on board my devices. I keep my current book on the home screen and a few likely next books in the _Books collection. There are rarely over 20 books, usually more like 8 or 10. So changing any of this is a simple matter. I can change the name of a device, delete it's collections and re-create them with appropriate names in just a few minutes.

Barry
Are you on the 5.4.2 firmware???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Are you on the 5.4.2 firmware???
Yes I am. That's what forced me to do this. Before that I had collections with the same names in each Paperwhite.

After I updated my firmware I had the same problem everyone had and I left feedback for Amazon about it and they emailed me asking that I call Kindle support. I did and they suggested using different collection names on each device. It solved the problem for me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #19
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My PW2 hasn't updated to version 5.4.2 yet, so I might be wrong--but I think I've read that the first time collection syncing occurs after the update all collections ever created on any Kindle are downloaded to the PW2. This only happens once. After that, if a collection is deleted on the PW2, it will stay deleted--but if the collection shares the same name as a collection on another cloud-enabled device any changes made will be sent to the PW2--that's why Barry's solution works--he has different names for the collections on each of his devices, so once he's went through and deleted the collections he doesn't want on one of his PWs they don't get transferred again.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote