Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
The problem with Kindle pre-orders

I don't know if anyone has found a way to solve this, but the Amazon pre-order system hasn't worked well for me in the past (I haven't tried it in a month or so so maybe it has changed).

The problem is that when I pre-order a book I have to 'send' it to a specific Kindle. Especially when the pre-order is months in the future, I may no longer use that Kindle as my primary reading device. Maybe, I've regifted it, switched to another device, or broken it.

At that point I have four problems:

1) I probably don't remember I pre-ordered it so I don't know that I need to do anything about it.

2) I'll eventually stumble across the book again by browsing the store. It'll give me an "instant order update, you've ordered this on xx, xx, 20xx". However, I have a hard time finding it in my queue. My Kindle library (the listing on Amazon) lists 700+ items. When I search for a specific item that is in the queue it doesn't seem to find it in the search results. (hmm, I just tried out search again and it seems much improved. It brings back instant search results. We'll have to see if that fixes this problem) I'd really like to be able to click through to download it from the product page. It will show me the order, but I can't get a "send-to" button unless I find it in my library.

3) Sometimes I find the book before its delivered, but after I change devices. There is no way to edit the device it will go to when it is delivered.

4) If I go to "pending deliveries" I find a few books that are past their pre-order date, but are scheduled to go to devices I don't have anymore. I have sent one of these to my new device, but it doesn't appear there is any way to delete the original pending delivery to the old device.

Anyone have any better thoughts on this? I've generally stopped using pre-orders and add it to my wish list instead.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I have set up notifications so when a book I pre ordered becomes available I am notified by email and also receive a billing update. This reminds me that I need to go fetch the book should I have changed my device.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
For Valentine's Day I gifted my wife with the current season of Glee, via Amazon Instant Video. At the time I made the "purchase" I was only billed for the episodes that were already available, now I get an email the morning after a new episode airs telling me that my card has been billed for the new episode. Every time I have had a pre-ordered book drop I get an email telling me my card has been charged for it. Do you not receive similar email notification?
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I pre-order to my kindle for pc rather than a specific kindle, that way it ensures delivery. However whether you sent it to an unavailable device it should still be available to be downloaded on the kindle still in your possession. As to the re-ordering what you have already pre-ordered, I have no advice but to suggest you check your Manage Your Device page first, though I will say I have done this a few times and Amazon never let me re-order the same book on a second order.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I pre-order to my kindle for pc rather than a specific kindle, that way it ensures delivery.
That's a very, very good idea!

I had this happen to me too when I ordered the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson. I wish they would have sent me an e-mail like "Your Kindle edition pre-order for ... is now available". I don't see it in their e-mail system that is designed for everything else on their site.

I'd suggest keeping a list somehow for now. Jot down the title, author, and day it should be delivered.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Rather than pre-ordering, I usually add the book to my wish list. Then, whenever I'm looking for something to read, I review the wish list. If the book has become available, I will make a decision on whether to buy it.

It's true that this puts the onus on me to take a positive action rather than waiting for a notification to arrive. But at least it doesn't commit me to buying a book well in advance of when I might want to read it.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I also send my preorders to my pc and get an email whenever my preorders are ready.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote