Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Sheet Music (PDF)

Hi all,

I'm really curious, how well the Pocketbook 902/903 displays sheet music. In this I see a great use for me (as a hobby musician), since so many scores are available for free today from pages like imslp.org.

Would somebody please download these scores, upload them to his/her Pocketbook 902/903 and report back here about how well the notes are displayed (maybe by making a screenshot, i.e. a photo of the screen) and how fast page turns perform:
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/94668 (kind of native scores in pdf format)
http://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/01005 (scan)

Both versions are most interesting. The first one might be quite hard to render. The second one is a scan and might suffer from slow page turns and bad contrast. As most free sheet music is available in one of these formats, it would be nice to have at least one of them working smoothly

Thanks very much in advance!

Last edited by tuxor; 10-04-2011 at 07:18 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
nice site the one you linked!
I ahd a go, and it looks nice - if I zoom and take a handwritten note, upn saving it the rendering degrades, but when zooming back it looks fine - don't know whether it is a bug or it is meant to be like that. Anyhow, both files opened quickly, and page turn is normal.

I tired the scanned file only with Adobeviewer, the other one with both Adobeviewer and pdfviewer.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp scr0012.bmp (487.6 KB, 552 views)
File Type: bmp scr0013.bmp (487.6 KB, 331 views)
File Type: bmp scr0014.bmp (487.6 KB, 320 views)
File Type: bmp scr0015.bmp (487.6 KB, 343 views)
File Type: bmp scr0016.bmp (487.6 KB, 326 views)
File Type: bmp scr0017.bmp (487.6 KB, 341 views)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Thank you very much! That was really helpful. Now I'm really keen on getting one of those Pocketbooks I guess, it will be the same thing with a 902 instead of a 903?

By the way, how did you take the screenshots? Is there a screenshot-app for pocketbooks or did you use a camera?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Thank you very much! That was really helpful. Now I'm really keen on getting one of those Pocketbooks I guess, it will be the same thing with a 902 instead of a 903?

By the way, how did you take the screenshots? Is there a screenshot-app for pocketbooks or did you use a camera?
Hi Tuxor, yes there is a function to take a screenshot (you can map the various buttons to many many functions). The difference between the 902 and 903 model is that the latter has a stylus that you use to write notes or to touch the screen - the 902 is buttons only. Now you can in theory use a bluetooth keyboard too (but I haven't got one, so I do not know how well it works), which presumably makes the need for a stylus less of an issue - though of course you won't be able to add free-hand annotations.

If you never had an ereader, however, I would first of all play around with one in a bookshop to see how you like it (I am very fond of mine )
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The 912 model is due for release in a month or so. It has a stylus for mark up, and should be available in North America. I don't know what price it will be compared to the 902, but it might be worth waiting a bit before deciding to buy a 902.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
tuxor
Addict

Why should I buy a 912 instead of a 902? Same display, same software... and that's all that's important to me! Okay, maybe the the 902 will drop in price, as soon as the new reader is released - so I'm going to wait

And I don't think, I need the touchscreen/annotation option. Nice to have, but not, if I can save a significant amount of money.

Last edited by tuxor; 10-06-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
Why should I buy a 912 instead of a 902? Same display, same software... and that's all that's important to me! Okay, maybe the the 902 will drop in price, as soon as the new reader is released - so I'm going to wait

And I don't think, I need the touchscreen/annotation option. Nice to have, but not, if I can save a significant amount of money.
If the prices are close, it would probably be worth getting the 912. I don't do any annotation with my 902, and I'll probably never start because working the software keyboard with the d-pad buttons is a real PITA. Since I bought the device, I started writing a curses-emulation library so that I could port some old-school terminal-based games to the PocketBook. Playing hangman would be so much better if I could just tap the software keyboard keys that I want, rather than using the buttons to move over each key before pressing it. Anyway, the point is I ended up thinking a Wacom touchscreen would have been really nice, even though I didn't want it at first (and also couldn't get it from North America).
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote