Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #5506
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I got my GST refund, so I splurged a little. I got a Kobo Plus subscription and a bunch of books from my wishlist.

To be fair, my problem is not so much buying eBooks but downloading way too much fanfiction.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 04-05-2021 at 02:59 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #5507
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm suffering from Audible withdrawal, but I will prevail! They did offer me a good exit deal, just like last time, but I was strong and resisted. This will give me time to focus on what I already own that is unlistened. Not renewing until at least October, preferably November.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #5508
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm suffering from Audible withdrawal, but I will prevail! They did offer me a good exit deal, just like last time, but I was strong and resisted. This will give me time to focus on what I already own that is unlistened. Not renewing until at least October, preferably November.
I’m sitting on the $100 for a year offer; it’s a good deal but it’s also a big outlay and I’ve got so many unheard books already (and borrow a lot from OverDrive and Hoopla as well). What’s tempting right now is that some premium plus books are of high interest and they’re some of the relatively few not also available at Hoopla. The year would give me ample time to enjoy them for nothing, so to speak, rather than joining for a month or two and bingeing, which is not how I like to experience books.

But there’s always another deal.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #5509
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
But there’s always another deal.
I think this is worthy of the first post. Adding it now!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #5510
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I have bought 26 books so far this year. And I'm pleased with all the purchases! Luckily I've also read 38...

Even with all the guidelines from the first post, I still find I'm buying lots of books. But at least now they are books I really want, and that I don't regret buying.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #5511
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Even with all the guidelines from the first post, I still find I'm buying lots of books. But at least now they are books I really want, and that I don't regret buying.
This is the bottom line.

I bought my sixth book of the year yesterday; I’ve read two. My goal is still to read all the books I purchase this year. I’ve got one series book that I might hold in abeyance; the truth is that now that I’m in the middle of the one before, I realize I’ve grown rather tired of it. A mini lesson there about not getting too far ahead.* But otherwise, so far, so pretty good.

*ETA: This is among the strategies in the first post. Sigh.

Last edited by issybird; 04-19-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:38 AM   #5512
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just went on a spree of downloading free eBooks. Well, it didn't cost anything? And they're all ones that look somewhat interesting to begin with. If I start downloading stuff I'd never read, I might have more cause to worry.

But I did end up adding a few more books to my exponentially-growing wishlist.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #5513
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I just went on a spree of downloading free eBooks. Well, it didn't cost anything? And they're all ones that look somewhat interesting to begin with. If I start downloading stuff I'd never read, I might have more cause to worry.

But I did end up adding a few more books to my exponentially-growing wishlist.
Free ebooks are a slippery slope. You have to be very selective or you end up with a lot of trash that takes away from good books and books you paid for. In addition, your cloud library gets really full over time. Two or three years ago, I culled most of the free books from my Amazon cloud and those still of interest went into a Calibre library marked FREE BOOKS. Then deleted out of the cloud. If I read one of those books and really liked it, Amazon Customer Service will restore the book to my library (you just search for the order number in your orders). Once in a while you hit on something good. Author Will Wight had most of his books for free for a brief time last year. Glad I got them all because I really liked that first story. Eventually, I will get to the rest.

Generally, I don't count free books in my TBR unless they were backlist for series already reading.

Last edited by Tarana; 04-20-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:02 PM   #5514
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Thankfully, the fact that I have to fix all the books' metadata in Calibre (series names in titles, yuck) prevents me from going too crazy.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #5515
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I also like to give myself ultimatums that I am not allowed to get any more books unless my Cleanup virtual library in Calibre is empty. It does help a bit.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:23 AM   #5516
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

It’s the last day of the month, so I’ll anticipate a bit. I bought one book in April for a total of six so far this year and and outlay of $22. That’s fine; I can quibble a bit with individual choices, but the aggregate is well within acceptable boundaries. If I can keep to this level, this will be my best year for number of books purchased and second best for cash outlay. Unfortunately, my TBR is down only a paltry nine books.

Good news/bad news: I’ve let a boatload of coupons go; the books on my wishlist are either tired or too pricey even with a deal. That’s the good. However, I anticipate making a few purchases in May, but at least one will be with Google Play money, i.e., effectively free.

Last edited by issybird; 04-30-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #5517
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I also bought just one book in April, bringing me up to 10 for the year. This makes my percentages very easy to calculate, so it would be nice to stay at 10 for a while, but on the other hand, my birthday is in May, so I don't rate my chances.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #5518
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm.... Looking at my purchases for 2021, I'm at 238 books. Part of this was picking up quite a few books from Kobo Plus. Unlike Kindle Unlimited, there does not seem to be a limit on the number of books you can borrow so I'm up to 200 or so Kobo Plus books since I signed up for the program.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #5519
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Unlike Kindle Unlimited, there does not seem to be a limit
Kindle Unlimited...has a limit...
Old 04-30-2021, 05:06 PM   #5520
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Kindle Unlimited...has a limit...
Perhaps I should have said "at one time". Kindle Unlimited allows a maximum of 10 books checked out at one time, Kobo Plus may have a limit but I haven't run into it as yet.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote